‘23 TN LB Arion Carter (Tennessee)

Dooley and Pruitt.
Butch did decent In-State.
I don't give Jones a lot of credit for having a couple of legacy and homer classes fall in his lap. None of these 3 are the first to de-emphasize instate recruiting. And honestly, I'm not sure how much that can or will change. There will be a few homers like Hurd was who are from TN and/or have ties to UT. However....

Heupel is doing much better in his 2nd class for In-State.

Would love to have Junior Colson and we did try to get him, but that kid was originally from Detroit. Most of his life in Detroit and his paretns are Michigan Alumni....
Did you not know that??

Ty Simpson is another transplant that had no real connection to Tennessee.
... a lot of the guys drawing recruiting attention are not from TN or closely connected to TN. So until UT wins those kids over with wins... how much sense does it make to dedicate inordinate resources to trying to get them?

Johnson is a damn good player

Would take him all day.

twss.gif

I don't give Jones a lot of credit for having a couple of legacy and homer classes fall in his lap. None of these 3 are the first to de-emphasize instate recruiting. And honestly, I'm not sure how much that can or will change. There will be a few homers like Hurd was who are from TN and/or have ties to UT. However....

... a lot of the guys drawing recruiting attention are not from TN or closely connected to TN. So until UT wins those kids over with wins... how much sense does it make to dedicate inordinate resources to trying to get them?
He used Junior Colson as an example of The Vols losing a "Tennessee" kid.
I was just letting him know that the kid wasn't strongly tied to this state...

I
I agree with you but that seems to be a lot of the good players in TN. That or they're Memphis area and closer to other SEC schools.

Yeah. I think that's about to change tho.
Hopefully the next time a Barrion Brown comes along:

1) He will qualify academically

2) He has Vol pride

I

Yeah. I think that's about to change tho.
Hopefully the next time a Barrion Brown comes along:

1) He will qualify academically

2) He has Vol pride
Honest question. Do you think that is a good investment for UT though? UK doesn't get that kind of talent routinely. Their risk/reward calculation is different. Isn't UT still better off recruiting out of state prospects who are actually geographically closer to K'ville?

You can only use your time and your budget once. So do you go to Memphis or Smyrna, GA?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Two players who were supposed to be here but won’t be able to make it are Nico Iamaleava and Arion Carter. Getting a flight out of California after playing a game and getting here without terrible connections was just going to be too hard for this weekend for Iamaleava. And Carter has his birthday on Saturday and is wanting to spend it with family at home in the mid-state.
-VQ

Honest question. Do you think that is a good investment for UT though? UK doesn't get that kind of talent routinely. Their risk/reward calculation is different. Isn't UT still better off recruiting out of state prospects who are actually geographically closer to K'ville?

You can only use your time and your budget once. So do you go to Memphis or Smyrna, GA?

...my stance on that question has changed over this past year. 6 months actually.

The game of football hasn't changed how many players can be on the field during the game. However, what has changed-a great deal - is the availability of high level players.

There's just more talent than in 20 years ago even.
1) In- roads don't matter as much because there's more talent that is spread about.
Still, I do think focusing on Atlanta area is the priority vs a Memphis area.

Overall though, I do think each class should have a solid foundation of TN kids making up the class.

That’s not the point…been a Vol fan , born in Baptist Hospital on the Tennessee River . Point is not to let in state players go to where ever…Pruitt was inept at recruiting in state players. Would like to keep some of these lbs in state. Jr Colson at Michigan is another good example.
Why? Kids from other states want to play at Tennessee. I don’t get why it matters. Just get the best you can get from wherever. I mean Peyton was from another state.

Why? Kids from other states want to play at Tennessee. I don’t get why it matters. Just get the best you can get from wherever. I mean Peyton was from another state.
you are kidding ? Donta Hightower, Patrick Willis .... sure , but I live in NC and hell yeah ..I would take the best , where er' they come from
right now the state is a hot spot for hs talent , do you remember DD Lewis ? went to Mississippi St , outa Fulton HS...just hate to see it
used to say the state wasn't producing enough . Right now it is . UT has been known to hit all 50 states. Craig Puki from Josh Heupel's
home state . Michigan and Ohio State cherry pick the state, just to name a few . Just my opinion

you are kidding ? Donta Hightower, Patrick Willis .... sure , but I live in NC and hell yeah ..I would take the best , where er' they come from
right now the state is a hot spot for hs talent , do you remember DD Lewis ? went to Mississippi St , outa Fulton HS...just hate to see it
used to say the state wasn't producing enough . Right now it is . UT has been known to hit all 50 states. Craig Puki from Josh Heupel's
home state . Michigan and Ohio State cherry pick the state, just to name a few . Just my opinion
Not kidding. We have 16 from other states committed right now. I mean it’s nice to get them from TN but imaginary lines are blown way out of proportion IMO.

VN Store

Back