‘23 TN LB Arion Carter (Tennessee)

Think he's referring to the team considering we're losing Banks. Some would say thats not that big a loss, but I think based on the performance in the USCjr game he may be a whole lot more important than some give him credit for.
Oh he absolutely was.

But Beasley has turned into as good a LB as him. Maybe not the leader Banks seems to be, but play on the field yeah.

Herring has showed really good pass rush. He's going to be really good I think.

Honestly, Mitchell is a little underwhelming, but with Beasley and young guys like Herring and Jalen Smith....we'll be fine.

I wouldn't mind seeing McDonald moved to ILB tho...

Oh he absolutely was.

But Beasley has turned into as good a LB as him. Maybe not the leader Banks seems to be, but play on the field yeah.

Honestly, Mitchell is a little underwhelming, but with Beasley and young guys like Herring and Jalen Smith....we'll be fine.

Agree that Beasley has been a pleasant surprise this season except the fact that he is underwhelming on blitzes, Mitchell hasn't impressed at all, I like the potential of the younger guys but certainly never a bad thing to add more talent.

Banks' value to me was in the run game and blitzing the QB, he was not a coverage guy (as people are so apt to point out) but he effected the pass a lot on his blitzes.

Agree that Beasley has been a pleasant surprise this season except the fact that he is underwhelming on blitzes, Mitchell hasn't impressed at all, I like the potential of the younger guys but certainly never a bad thing to add more talent.

Banks' value to me was in the run game and blitzing the QB, he was not a coverage guy (as people are so apt to point out) but he effected the pass a lot on his blitzes.
I think we are planning on being more multiple as well….. playing 1 linebacker and then 1 combo LB/S

Reactions: BucVol98

Have to disagree with you on Banks. He's not a DB so you cannot expect that level but he has good athleticism and has been pretty good in coverage for a LB. You also have to take into account the deficiencies the DBs have around him.

And Beasley has been underwhelming on blitzes? I've noticed him doing pretty good in that regard. Glad he's returning. However he doesn't seem to be a guy who can be the "QB" for the D. Not sure Banks is either but he obviously made a contribution in that regard. UT needs a guy to emerge at LB with a really high football IQ.

Have to disagree with you on Banks. He's not a DB so you cannot expect that level but he has good athleticism and has been pretty good in coverage for a LB. You also have to take into account the deficiencies the DBs have around him.

And Beasley has been underwhelming on blitzes? I've noticed him doing pretty good in that regard. Glad he's returning. However he doesn't seem to be a guy who can be the "QB" for the D. Not sure Banks is either but he obviously made a contribution in that regard. UT needs a guy to emerge at LB with a really high football IQ.
Let's not blow things out of proportion here, those were small criticisms based on my opinion. I gave both players mentioned pretty good praise in my post.

Beasley plays with a high football IQ once the play starts unfolding, seems he just lacks a voice and desire for leadership.

Banks has been better this year in zone coverage for sure but he's not going to be the type of linebacker to lock down the other team's TE in coverage, that's all I was getting at.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Let's not blow things out of proportion here, those were small criticisms based on my opinion. I gave both players mentioned pretty good praise in my post.

Beasley plays with a high football IQ once the play starts unfolding, seems he just lacks a voice and desire for leadership.

Banks has been better this year in zone coverage for sure but he's not going to be the type of linebacker to lock down the other team's TE in coverage, that's all I was getting at.
I took it that you meant Banks was somehow below avg for a LB in coverage. I would say he's a little above average.

He has become a really good LB that almost no one talks about. I would not be surprised to see him become a very productive LB in the NFL.

Oh he absolutely was.

You’re forgetting Kalib Perry…maybe the most athletic of the group.

Oh he absolutely was.

I thought Beasley, Mitchell, Page III and Banks were all leaving. If Beasley is back with a Covid year I feel a LITTLE better but we’d still lack a playmaker at the position. I like Herring but he’s just one dude. Need 3 or 4 guys as good as Banks and wouldn’t hurt to add a first or second round talent to go with it. Pipe dream I know. Just saying I think we’re way behind where we need to be for a championship

Oh he absolutely was.

Always thought McCullough should have beefed up and played ILB.

You guys are clearly higher on Beasley than I am. Maybe because my eyes typically watch the LOS. But I don’t recall Beasley doing anything to significantly impact a game or swing momentum. Banks only has like 50 tackles but he seems more disruptive than that too me.

I see Beasley as a good tackler who plays lanes well but not the kind of guy who disrupts an offense or makes big plays whether it’s making a huge hit, shedding a blocker and collecting a TFL, getting a sack, or making an interception.

Reactions: StoVol
You guys are clearly higher on Beasley than I am. Maybe because my eyes typically watch the LOS. But I don’t recall Beasley doing anything to significantly impact a game or swing momentum. Banks only has like 50 tackles but he seems more disruptive than that too me.

I see Beasley as a good tackler who plays lanes well but not the kind of guy who disrupts an offense or makes big plays whether it’s making a huge hit, shedding a blocker and collecting a TFL, getting a sack, or making an interception.
Go re-watch...he had a few critical stops in short yardage

To me it was a consistency issue with Beasley. Had 14 tackles against Pitt, then 4 against FLA. 9 tackles against LSU then 2 against Alabubba.
Maybe due to injuries, I don't know, but I'd prefer to see a little more consistent production.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I took it that you meant Banks was somehow below avg for a LB in coverage. I would say he's a little above average.

He has become a really good LB that almost no one talks about. I would not be surprised to see him become a very productive LB in the NFL.

I would be very surprised if he did anything of note at the NFL level.

Banks is an undersized LB with decent athleticism that struggles in coverage and gap assignments. The NFL isn’t exactly looking for guys like that. His best asset is that he doesn’t shy away from contact but he struggles to shed blockers if they lock on. He is a ST guy at best in the NFL and with the amount of attention he requires to keep his head on straight I wouldn’t want anything to do with him at the NFL level.

As bad as our secondary was this year, our LB position group was worse than the secondary group. Banks looks good relative to the rest of this group, but it’s akin to being the tallest midget.

Oh he absolutely was.

Would love to see McDonald as a 3rd LB against 1-2 personnel. Especially if we can get a stud corner and LB in through the portal. Then start Turnage at the star and Walker and Slaughter at safety with Beasley and the transfer LB when we play 5 DBs. We need a LB that can play the pass better and having McDonald there after playing the star for an entire season would be huge. Also Jalen Smith being an EE is huge. If he can get up to around 225 he should be able to make an impact as a freshman. Hopefully he can be another JRM for us

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

Great minds. I've had this thought too. I'd love to see McDonald move to ILB, then start Turnage at NB, Walker and Slaughter at S (unless Charles can beat one out). Let Burrell, Matthews, Gibson, Williams, and Hadden battle it out at CB. Harrison too, if he develops.

Oh he absolutely was.

I think he could be similar to JRM. It's just trying to gain 20 more lbs and keep the athleticism is going to be a lot of work, but its what he needs to do if he wants to get paid.

Reactions: LittleVol
Whoa... JRM was a torpedo.
Yeah. Im not saying he will be as good, but JRM was a tweener that decided to play linebacker and I think McDonald is a tweener that' stayed at DB. Im far from a strength and conditioning coach, so maybe they have completely different body types, I'm just going off measurables posted on the internet

Yeah his blitzing in the Bama game shut down Bryce Young on their las drive

Reactions: OrangeShade
Great minds. I've had this thought too. I'd love to see McDonald move to ILB, then start Turnage at NB, Walker and Slaughter at S (unless Charles can beat one out). Let Burrell, Matthews, Gibson, Williams, and Hadden battle it out at CB. Harrison too, if he develops.
Great minds indeed😊.

Yeah..everything you said is how I wish it to play out.

McDonald had a strong year but too often was a liability in coverage. Can't be that and play Star. He was very good in the box.

I think he could be similar to JRM. It's just trying to gain 20 more lbs and keep the athleticism is going to be a lot of work, but its what he needs to do if he wants to get paid.
McDonald you mean?
Yeah, I see Brent Brewer when I see him

Mississippi State recruited him to play LB.
I think they had the right of it.
He's similar to an old 4-3 OLB now in what he's asked to do. So it wouldn't be a huge adjustment imo

VN Store

Back