TN End Season Ranked?

Does TN end this season ranked in the final AP or Coaches Poll?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neyland Law Vol

Does an 8-5 TN team that was 5-3 in the SEC, and won their bowl game end the season ranked in either the AP or Coaches polls?

A number of teams ranked at the bottom of the polls lost their bowl game. I believe 5 loss teams have slipped in to final polls in prior seasons.

Last edited:
Here is the bottom few teams from the coaches poll from the last poll. TN received a few votes.

Michigan 9-4

Boise St. 12-2

Iowa 10-3

App. St. 13-1

Navy 11-2

Cincinnati 11-3

USC 8-5

Air Force 11-2

Virginia 9-5

Others Receiving Votes
Oklahoma State (64) 8-5; SMU (61) 10-3; Kansas State (20) 8-5; Indiana (10) 8-5; UCF (6) 10-3; Louisiana (6) 10-3; Florida Atlantic (6) 11-3; San Diego State (5) 10-3; Tennessee (4) 8-5; Arizona State (3) 8-5; Iowa State (3) 7-6; Kentucky (3) 8-5; Virginia Tech (2) 8-5; California (1) 8-5; Hawaii (1) 10-5;

In recent history (past 10-15 years), the only 5-loss teams who make the final AP poll are those who (a) played for their conference championship but lost, or (b) were ranked in the top 10 earlier in the season, but fell.

Neither of these conditions fit us. I doubt we'll be ranked at the end of this season.

But next year...Go Vols!

It does not matter. We are not very good. Will not be any better next year.

Reactions: 08Vol
Indiana got more votes than us, and Kentucky only got one less than we did. So what, we’ve got all season to prove we deserve it next year. Just worry about winning and it will fall in place

How does Indiana get more votes than we do?
Did they?
Yeah, just going by what was posted in OP
Indiana got more votes than us, and Kentucky only got one less than we did. So what, we’ve got all season to prove we deserve it next year. Just worry about winning and it will fall in place
I think you are all looking at the last Coaches Poll (quoted in post #3), which was published on the 8th of December, weeks before our bowl game against Indiana.

It seemed you were all missing that bit of context. So there you go.

Next AP and Coaches Polls will be released after the National Championship Game.

Oh crap I voted YES. Does that make me a snowflake? I’m melting. I’m melting....

Go VOLS

I think you are all looking at the last Coaches Poll (quoted in post #3), which was published on the 8th of December, weeks before our bowl game against Indiana.

It seemed you were all missing that bit of context. So there you go.

Next AP and Coaches Polls will be released after the National Championship Game.
deceptive, because it credits Indiana with an 8-5 record.

VN Store

Back