'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

Top 5 players aren't going to ndsu. A few have gone to TN. And as many that have gone on to do great things have not, and/or transferred out.

Pinning your hopes for the future of the program on recruits (notice that's not "recruiting") individually is what we've done the past 7-8 years.

Let this staff just get guys that fit, want to be here, and see what it looks like in 2-3 years.

For the first time in nearly a decade, I honestly do not care where we wind up in recruiting rankings, or whether or not a guy like nolen comes here. Either way it doesn't mean we're going to instantly get better or never get better.

This. All the this.

Top 5 players aren't going to ndsu. A few have gone to TN. And as many that have gone on to do great things have not, and/or transferred out.

Pinning your hopes for the future of the program on recruits (notice that's not "recruiting") individually is what we've done the past 7-8 years.

Let this staff just get guys that fit, want to be here, and see what it looks like in 2-3 years.

For the first time in nearly a decade, I honestly do not care where we wind up in recruiting rankings, or whether or not a guy like nolen comes here. Either way it doesn't mean we're going to instantly get better or never get better.

^^^^^^^^^^^

DimSpiffyGrayreefshark-small.gif

Reactions: jakez4ut

Mike Ekeler was quoted about recruiting shortly after being hired. He said something to the effect of, there are really only about 3-5 big time difference makers in every class. After that, it's a matter of bringing in guys who fit your culture and your system and developing them within that system.

I think that's what we've been missing. Yeah, we've signed 4* and 5* guys. But we haven't developed them. They don't necessarily fit our system. There hasn't been a good culture.

Heupel can win big at Tennessee by:

A) developing great QBs. It's the most important position in sports. Great QB play can mask a lot of other deficiencies. He has a track record as a great developer of QBs.
B) Identifying guys who fit HIS systems and HIS culture and signing them, whether they're 2*s or 5*s. Hiring coaches who do the same and are on the same page.
C) Developing those guys to be the best they can be within those systems (and again, hiring assistants who do this) and...this is big...having them jell as a team, together, not just as great individuals.
D) Developing the psychological side. A winning attitude and belief that they will win and win together.

Check A through D above and Tennessee will be a big time program again, regardless of where the recruiting services rank us. Of course, eventually, the recruiting rankings will be high simply because recruits will be ranked higher by signing with Tennessee. It's a self-fulfilling thing. (See: Tigers, Clemson)

Mike Ekeler was quoted about recruiting shortly after being hired. He said something to the effect of, there are really only about 3-5 big time difference makers in every class. After that, it's a matter of bringing in guys who fit your culture and your system and developing them within that system.

I think that's what we've been missing. Yeah, we've signed 4* and 5* guys. But we haven't developed them. They don't necessarily fit our system. There hasn't been a good culture.

Heupel can win big at Tennessee by:

A) developing great QBs. It's the most important position in sports. Great QB play can mask a lot of other deficiencies. He has a track record as a great developer of QBs.
B) Identifying guys who fit HIS systems and HIS culture and signing them, whether they're 2*s or 5*s. Hiring coaches who do the same and are on the same page.
C) Developing those guys to be the best they can be within those systems (and again, hiring assistants who do this) and...this is big...having them jell as a team, together, not just as great individuals.
D) Developing the psychological side. A winning attitude and belief that they will win and win together.

Check A through D above and Tennessee will be a big time program again, regardless of where the recruiting services rank us. Of course, eventually, the recruiting rankings will be high simply because recruits will be ranked higher by signing with Tennessee. It's a self-fulfilling thing. (See: Tigers, Clemson)
I'm with you here. I think DL, QB, and OL are the key positions in college football. With Rodney Garner here, you have to think he will land some highly recruited studs and develop them and also find and develop under recruited players too. That's a huge start. Heupel seems to have a strong track record with identifying and developing QBs and has an innovative offensive mind that puts up points, like he did at Missouri and then UCF. Elarbee has coached some excellent OLs, even without them being highly recruited guys, like at Missouri. So, if UT can shore up DL and OL and pair that with an effective QB and innovative offense, maybe, just maybe, UT can break out of the doldrums.

I asked my brother about it last weekend because I use to go to the Powell games all the time several years ago when they were really good. He was like, “lol yeah he is going to Powell, they will win state”

I have a reason to go back to the games now.
Do they play Murvull or Oakland?

VN Store

Back