'22 TN DT Walter Nolen (Ole Miss)

If Nolen has made a decision and committed to aTm then why is he still looking at UT? Why does he not go on to College Station and take the money and hit the portal next year?

Not sure UT sees him as a cultural fit. He needs Garner more than Garner needs him. Good luck to the kid for the future.

After Bryce Brown I have little interest in top rated players who try to negotiate their services. That usually does not work out well for the player or the program.
You know why.

Couldn’t agree more…this is the first time I’ve popped into this thread in more than a month…yours was the second post I read and it’s already clear to me what’s going on here…this kid is not worth the drama IMO… not when you have a coach like Garner who has shown he can get the same production out of prospects who aren’t prima donnas
You mean pre-madonna ;)

All the premier players will consider NIL as a major factor in choosing a school. The ones solely focused on that might not be the best players to pursue, imo. The big prize is the NFL. Don't begrudge a player looking to capitalize on his hard work but NIL money dominating the decision is a sign that maybe priorities are not in order.

All the premier players will consider NIL as a major factor in choosing a school. The ones solely focused on that might not be the best players to pursue, imo. The big prize is the NFL. Don't begrudge a player looking to capitalize on his hard work but NIL money dominating the decision is a sign that maybe priorities are not in order.
life happens, some kids may not be from greatest of situations.

Too many on here bashing a kid or believing they know the kid. Everything I've heard about him since he moved here is that he is a gentle giant, respectful and overall good kid. NIL is part of the recruiting process and what everyone wanted when the fans sided with players needed to be paid. If he's coming to Tennessee for a visit and Tennessee is having him in for a visit then that means he is still open. That also means Tennessee believes he is a good culture fit. This is also a play to keep him and his family here to recruit Warren.

Jimbo fisher is who he is.

He’ll win 8-10 games a year with great recruiting classes but will never live up to his potential considering his teams are always inconsistent.

They beat Bama but they also lost to teams that they shouldn’t have.
This is all I ever see about Jimbo, but let’s be honest, he’s got A&M as Clemson before Watson. FSU before Jamies. He’s one superstar QB away from getting over the hump.

NIL is a great benefit, but IF that's the only thing he's basing his decision on it's pretty short sighted. Your only in college once and his career earning potential dwarves whatever he will get from NIL deals.
If I had a $100,000 four years ago I would be a millionaire right now bc I was super into crypto but only had left over lunch money to invest (as a college student). He’s choosing between two top tier options. If UT is offering cookie deals for $5,000 and A&M new cars and $100,000+ it’s really a no brainer and not short sighted at all considering what he could do with that money in four years. I’m sure at 18 years old, his parents would wisely invest a good sum of it. Hell I’m pretty sure schools these days are getting these kids in classes or having seminars on how to take care of their NIL money. Probably setting them up with financial advisors if they want to open investment accounts. $100,000+ is no small change and some of these schools are offering more than that.

Reactions: itsme
This is all I ever see about Jimbo, but let’s be honest, he’s got A&M as Clemson before Watson. FSU before Jamies. He’s one superstar QB away from getting over the hump.
I don't know about that. That defense looked awful against LSU... and that was a credibility shaking loss.

If I had a $100,000 four years ago I would be a millionaire right now bc I was super into crypto but only had left over lunch money to invest (as a college student). He’s choosing between two top tier options. If UT is offering cookie deals for $5,000 and A&M new cars and $100,000+ it’s really a no brainer and not short sighted at all considering what he could do with that money in four years. I’m sure at 18 years old, his parents would wisely invest a good sum of it. Hell I’m pretty sure schools these days are getting these kids in classes or having seminars on how to take care of their NIL money. Probably setting them up with financial advisors if they want to open investment accounts. $100,000+ is no small change and some of these schools are offering more than that.
I don't know any of the details of the deal. I would agree with you if that was the case. I doubt there is that big of difference. I was just saying if you are picking your college based off of an additional 10% more money from a school AND the only thing you are picking your decision on is money, it's probably not wise. The fact that we are still in the conversation makes it seem like he really likes Tennessee. Shame on us IF we haven't even been able to find him a competitive NIL deal.

Yep.

I was just thinking this. I believe this is especially true with players that are already transferring - Evans and Ewers of the world. From a business standpoint, can’t say I would want to throw a bunch of cash at kids who have already displayed a lack of loyalty.

NIL is a great benefit, but IF that's the only thing he's basing his decision on it's pretty short sighted. Your only in college once and his career earning potential dwarves whatever he will get from NIL deals.
I don't know his family's financials but $500K NIL deal would be life changing for some families. If he can make that in 4 years that $2M and how many top tier talents do we see never make it to the pros. I have no issues with him going for the money. He needs to make it while he can.

Too many on here bashing a kid or believing they know the kid. Everything I've heard about him since he moved here is that he is a gentle giant, respectful and overall good kid. NIL is part of the recruiting process and what everyone wanted when the fans sided with players needed to be paid. If he's coming to Tennessee for a visit and Tennessee is having him in for a visit then that means he is still open. That also means Tennessee believes he is a good culture fit. This is also a play to keep him and his family here to recruit Warren.

I would think the visit is to find out if he is a cultural fit not a validation that he is. I believe he is physically gifted and has huge potential, but I fear if we get him he will be our next underachieving can't miss kid ranked at the tippy top of the heap. I don't have that 4 year impact prediction I want to attach to guys with this much press. So, I would like to have him to find out, but not headed to the Henley Bridge if he does go elsewhere. We need positive press with this year's class, since we may have limitations imposed next year. I am not familiar with the risks involved for the school with NIL creation for any of these players. We are not in a position to push any envelopes till we get the Pruitt mess behind us.

Reactions: Majors

This. Put 2020 Mond on their team and they go minimum 11-1. King could have been that, but he got injured. Go watch Connor Weigmann. That’s their QB recruit for next year. He’s legit.

I would think the visit is to find out if he is a cultural fit not a validation that he is. I believe he is physically gifted and has huge potential, but I fear if we get him he will be our next underachieving can't miss kid ranked at the tippy top of the heap. I don't have that 4 year impact prediction I want to attach to guys with this much press. So, I would like to have him to find out, but not headed to the Henley Bridge if he does go elsewhere. We need positive press with this year's class, since we may have limitations imposed next year. I am not familiar with the risks involved for the school with NIL creation for any of these players. We are not in a position to push any envelopes till we get the Pruitt mess behind us.
In years past we lost out on guys like Harrison Smith, Tee Higgins, Cade Mayes, Rogers and Bryn Tucker. Our best in-state is #14 while other schools have 1-13 currently. Walter is a key piece for in-state recruiting to move us in the right direction and stop the bleed of other schools coming in and taking out top tier kids. Tennessee could have shut it down at any point if they felt he was not going to work out. The Pruitt situation is a moot point until NCAA does anything if they do anything at all. Call it timing with the NIL deals and our pending NCAA issues, but it would be hypocritical to hand down anything at this point.

VN Store

Back