'19 TN DT Kristian Williams (Oregon —> in the portal)

Could end up with Logue, Williams, Mitchell, and Norton all from instate and on the DL when it's all done.

That could keep some on here happy.

Could end up with Logue, Williams, Mitchell, and Norton all from instate and on the DL when it's all done.

That could keep some on here happy.

Are we still that needy on the line? I thought we took like 8 guys this past cycle?

"The visit was really good," Williams said. "I got to spend a lot of time with the new staff. It was the same Tennessee in certain ways, but the new staff had a different feel. They gave off a different vibe and a home type feeling."

Jeremy Pruitt and his defensive staff want to find another defensive tackle to pair with fellow Vol commit Ladarius Cox. Williams could be that guy with his quick twitch and powerful hands. "They just were explaining to me how I'd be a really good fit for the team and how there is a friendly vibe," Williams said. "They made sure I was good and my family was good. They told me they want to be a part of this class."

Williams said it was 'all smiles' when Pruitt told him that he wanted to make sure he was a part of Tennessee for years to come. That coupled with time around defensive line coach Tracy Rocker left the big and agile Williams feeling the love. "He told me what type of coach he is and how he keeps it real with his guys," Williams said. "Basically what drills he would run and how he would coach me to get the best out of me each and every day. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to go through camp because of my hamstring, but the coaches understood."

"Tennessee is a school I'm highly interested in going," Williams said. "I like the facilities and the staff. I think they are going to change it over the next couple of years to get it to like it once was. I'd like to have something done by December," Williams said. "I just want to find a place that gives me a comfortable feeling and the coaches relationships. I want to find players that I have a good relationship with. And a school with academics that help me in my major."

-VQ

Vol.

Reactions: 9 people
Did we get some updated measurements on this guy? And all these Memphis kids are huge and fast. What’s in the water over there? Oak Ridge nuclear runoff or something?

Finally, Kristian Williams has emerged as a big target for the staff. The Southwind defensive tackle was slowed by a hamstring during his visit so he didn’t camp, but the Vols love his raw power and agility as a versatile d-lineman capable of playing the 1, 3 or 5-technique.

VQ

Reactions: 2 people
From the clips I saw of all the defensive lineman at the Nashville combine back in the spring, he looked like the most explosive and athletic out of the bunch, which included several 4-stars.

Reactions: 4 people
“it was great,” said williams. “as usual, i liked the facilities and i liked the new coaching staff, how they bring a friendly vibe to where they know what i’m capable of doing. “they know what type of person i am, because they’ve been through what i’ve been through before. They say that i’ll be a perfect fit for the defensive front. They just keep it real with me at all times, and that’s what i really like about the coaching staff. “it was just a feeling of being at home, really.”

“(rocker) acts just like how our defensive coach acts — always has energy, and he always keeps it real with his players, even if it hurts. That’s what i’m used to,” williams said. “(pruitt) was always in a good mood. He wasn’t the type to be just, like, a head coach. He was more like just a normal person. He’s just always bringing a friendly vibe to him. Once you’re around him and once you see him, he always brings a friendly vibe. “i believe they’ll turn the program back around, like how it used to be.”

despite already having an offer from tennessee, williams said he had planned to work out at the vols’ camp before suffering his hamstring injury while running a 40-yard dash last week during conditioning work at his school. “they said i really didn’t have to camp,” williams said. “they knew what i was already capable of doing. But i just felt as if i should’ve camped so i could just really showcase how i am. “they were just telling me how i’d be a valuable piece to the defensive front and how i could come in and make an impact, but i’d have to work for it.”

“the one thing i’d probably say i like the most is the atmosphere,” he said. “everybody around and everybody in tennessee as a whole, they’ll be rooting for tennessee. And they put their trust in the coaching staff and believe they can turn the program back around.”

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back