'22 TN DT Giovanni Davis

“Coach Heupel is a funny guy. He’s really cool and has a good personality. But he can also be really serous. He tells me he wants me to lead this 2022 class being an in-state guy.”

Davis has spent time talking with the entire coaching staff – getting to know each one on a personal level following the program’s transition in January. The prospect notes that the new staff pushes ‘a little bit harder’ for him, compared to the Pruitt regime and that he’s enjoying the process.

“I talk with coach [Rodney] Garner a lot. He’s a really great coach,” Davis told Volquest. “He tells me he wants me up here and the two of us are planning on talking scheme and plays and all that soon.”
Davis also has no plans of committing any time soon and could potentially wait all the way to National Signing Day in either December or February.

“It could mean a little more to me if I were to sign and go play at Tennessee,” Davis concluded. “It’s kind of crazy to think about because I know a ton of people who are Tennessee fans. I grew up watching Tennessee and other SEC schools.

“The Vols are in the conversation.”
- E. Cain

“They’re definitely the team to beat,” said Davis, a Class of 2022 lineman from South Pittsburgh (Tenn.) High School. “Definitely.”

The 6-foot-4, 267-pound Davis said he’s still hearing from Tennessee “every couple days,” led by defensive line coach Rodney Garner, and he even has started to talk with Vols offensive line coach Glen Elarbee in recent weeks. And once the ongoing dead period for recruiting ends May 31, Davis expects Tennessee to be the first school he visits.

“June 1st, whenever the dead period ends, that’s probably going to be my first visit because they want my family up there, too,” said Davis, who’s ranked the No. 656 overall prospect and No. 51 defensive tackle in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“It’ll probably be me, my mom and my pops.”

Davis said he “most likely” will make the trip to Knoxville on June 1 or shortly after that. But even if he’s not able to visit the Vols as soon as he would like, he said “I will take that official” visit to Tennessee at some point. He said it’s “mainly Tennessee” that he plans to visit, although he’s also interested in a possible official visit to Arizona State.

He hasn’t been to Tennessee’s campus since the summer before he started high school. But he said he likes what he has heard from the Vols, and he believes they’re headed in the right direction under Heupel’s staff.

“I feel like it’s a whole bunch of potential right now,” Davis said. “They’re fixing to be, like, a way better team than what everybody’s thinking because of the coaching staff.

“I see what they’re doing. I feel like it’s going to work.”

Garner has been serving as Davis’ primary recruiter for Tennessee, and most of Davis’ conversations with the Vols have suggested they’re interested in playing him on the defensive line. But he said they also haven’t ruled out that the offensive line could be his long-term home.

“(Garner) is telling me that he likes my skill set,” Davis said. “He don’t really see much of it, and that I’ve got a body type for, like, an O-lineman, too — tackle and stuff — so I’ve been talking to the O-line and D-line coach.

“I mean, I’m more of a D-lineman. I like D-line. But if I need to play O-line, I feel like I could do it. I mean, I’m new to it. I’m still learning. But I feel like I could do it, though. … They’re telling me I’d be a good three-technique (defensive tackle) because of my arm length, my speed and my size.”

Davis said he has had multiple conversations with Elarbee. But Tennessee only has mentioned the offensive line as a position he could play in the future, most likely after starting him off on the defensive line.

“I talked to (Elarbee),” Davis said. “It’s been, like, a regular thing. He said that, since I am such a good D-lineman, it’d really help me at O-line. He’s not saying, like, as soon as I get there, I’m going to have to play O-line. Just in case, if they feel like I need to make that switch or if I feel like I want to make that switch, it’s open for me.”
-Callahan

-Callahan

This is multiple articles I've seen posted sounding like the kids are buying in/have bought into this coaching staff and that they believe that UT is headed in the right direction. IMO it sets up well for us this season because anything will be an improvement over last year, and they can show that the trajectory is indeed on the upswing. Going to see some results both on the recruiting trail and on the field.

Random bump just to ask what's going on with this kid? Is he still expected to be a Vol? Is he a grades casualty as speculated by someone else in the thread? Just hasn't been mentioned in awhile.

Random bump just to ask what's going on with this kid? Is he still expected to be a Vol? Is he a grades casualty as speculated by someone else in the thread? Just hasn't been mentioned in awhile.

I can find out exactly what is going on with this kid. I have some close friends who for one, she has been working at the high for like 38 years and the husband who is a close friend that is involved with the football program or over 30 years and is kin to the new HC there. I will give him a call and see what the scoop is on him. The last time it didn't look good with the grades and were trying to get him to go to Summer school. I'll get an update.

I can find out exactly what is going on with this kid. I have some close friends who for one, she has been working at the high for like 38 years and the husband who is a close friend that is involved with the football program or over 30 years and is kin to the new HC there. I will give him a call and see what the scoop is on him. The last time it didn't look good with the grades and were trying to get him to go to Summer school. I'll get an update.

I mean you could of just left it at I can find something out here instead of diming out those people who are going to give you information…., that they really shouldn’t be giving you….

Reactions: HalfullVol
AP, incorrect the correct answer is there is never enough pictures of mountains can take. Take a lap, or several in your case.

Why doesnt anyone aak about defensive players?

I mean you could of just left it at I can find something out here instead of diming out those people who are going to give you information…., that they really shouldn’t be giving you….

They are great friends and would never tell me anything that I shouldn't know. I was talking about if he had got his grades together or not which is a known thing. You read to much into it.

Quentel Jones, as we mentioned in today’s High VOLtage, isn’t off the board but doesn’t appear to be as much of a priority as he once was. We’ll see if that changes. And the Vols haven’t completely written off in-state lineman Giovanni Davis, so it’s always possible that things could pick up with him at some point.
-Callahan

Just curious, whatever happened with this kid? He's still unsigned. Wasn't he rumored to have grade issues? Was just wondering if he was going JuCo? Or if he has the grades, would we offer him a PWO spot?

Reactions: snake
Just curious, whatever happened with this kid? He's still unsigned. Wasn't he rumored to have grade issues? Was just wondering if he was going JuCo? Or if he has the grades, would we offer him a PWO spot?
He had a bad hamstring issue most of the year. I think he only played the last 4 games of the year. He lost some weight. Watched him in the State Championship game and he played really well. I don't know about his grades but did hear he had been working hard. He's very athletic.

Reactions: StoVol
Sounds/ looks like a good player, but not SEC material……..

Clarksville isn’t too far from the Sequatchie Valley……Be A Gov! Let’s go Peay!
I don't know much about him, but I'd still take him as a PWO.

VN Store

Back