'25 TN DL Ethan Utley (Tennessee commit)

Ensworth defensive lineman Ethan Utley will announce his decision on March 28th and will take official visits in June and maybe even during the season he told us this week. Tennessee, Texas and Michigan are the top 3 battling it out for his initial commitment but it’s clear to us he will continue the process no matter what.
-VQ

i didn't say it was or wasnt

interesting though we keep having the same type conversations every year.

loved the visit, love the school, love tennessee. that said i'll be committing to texas

Do you expect kids to say “I really hated the visit, the school, and the entire state”?

You’d be hard pressed to find examples of kids publicly saying that.

Why even bother committing if you still haven’t taken your OVs yet and plan to take them even after you commit, it doesn’t make sense to me

Reserve a spot. Drive up NIL offers. Really is feeling the school he commits to but keeping options open in case of a coaching change.

Those are just 3. Prob lots of other possible reasons as well.

Reserve a spot. Drive up NIL offers. Really is feeling the school he commits to but keeping options open in case of a coaching change.

Those are just 3. Prob lots of other possible reasons as well.
A prospect as good as he is doesn’t, or shouldn’t, need to worry about there being a spot available for him. Also, he could visit the schools before he commits so he has the nil info squared away prior to committing

A prospect as good as he is doesn’t, or shouldn’t, need to worry about there being a spot available for him. Also, he could visit the schools before he commits so he has the nil info squared away prior to committing

A school might be willing to pay more to flip him if he’s already committed somewhere else.

Also how good is he? Maybe he does need to reserve a spot. I’m no scout but he’s the 162nd ranked player. Different story if he was ranked 2nd.

Because even if you commit you can still negotiate better deals with other programs. A commitment is not signing on the dotted line.
I wonder if the NIL deals are binding contracts though. That’s how I would play it now if I was a business or collective, if you commit and have a negotiated deal it’s like nay endorsement deal for an athlete. You in it unless some stipulation is met like coaches leaving, illness, injury etc. This may not even be legal with NIL rules but makes sense to me if you are treating them like pro-am athletes anyway.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Fwiw Tennessee has done a good job locking these things down in the end when it’s an in-state priority. Good teams want good players.

Bama wanted Arion Carter. Michigan wanted Boo Carter. Notre Dame wanted Kaleb Beasley. Ohio State wanted Edwin Spillman.

Outside of Amari Jefferson, they’ve won these battles. Utley is someone they absolutely have to land and I still think Tennessee is in a solid spot
Hope you're correct and we land his commitment, I love landing the big ugliest on both sides of the line.

Why even bother committing if you still haven’t taken your OVs yet and plan to take them even after you commit, it doesn’t make sense to me

My guess is that many recruits know they can “jerk the chain” of a whole bunch of adults who follow recruiting. When our son still lived with us, he would deliberately do things to get a reaction from us. Once I figured this out and we quit giving him the desired reactions, his behavior changed. Some recruits just want to watch the reaction of fans of multiple schools as they toy with their emotions. That’s why it’s best not to take recruiting too seriously.

With NIL and the wild west transfer portal, commitment really doesn’t have meaning anymore.
I know where this secretness is coming from... But it's just not like flipping out decommiting is a novelty in recruiting.

Committed has never meant anything and money has always changed hands.

I know where this secretness is coming from... But it's just not like flipping out decommiting is a novelty in recruiting.

Committed has never meant anything and money has always changed hands.
While your last statement is true there is no way you actually think it’s been anywhere close to what it is now. It’s not even comparable.

While your last statement is true there is no way you actually think it’s been anywhere close to what it is now. It’s not even comparable.
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the hyperbole about flipping or decommiting is a bit much because neither of those things are new. More of it? Ok.

Nil though isn't the big issue. It's definitely the portal.

VN Store

Back