'20 TN DE Jay Hardy (Auburn commit)

tgxz1an8eowondnkltjz

6'5" 265lbs
Chattanooga, TN
(McCallie School)

Jay Hardy, McCallie School, Strong-Side Defensive End
Jay Hardy, 2020 Strongside defensive end - Rivals
Jay Hardy on Hudl

Jay Hardy grew up coming to Tennessee games and cheering for the Vols.

Visiting Rocky Top as a recruit feels a little bit different, though.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound defensive end from McCallie School in Chattanooga (Tenn.) was among several 2020s invited this weekend as part of a mini-junior day. As Jeremy Pruitt looks to wrap up the 2019 class, Tennessee is already working to make moves with its next group of targets.

“I know a lot about Tennessee,” Hardy told VolQuest.

“I have a long connection. I came to every home game. Watching when I was young, that’s what I wanted to be. Playing out there (inside Neyland Stadium). Now it’s kind of come to life.”

Hardy’s older brother was former Tennessee fullback Kevin Cooper, who started 25 games for the Vols from 2007-10. Hardy, who is ranked No. 213 nationally and No. 11 in the Volunteer State, picked up his offer from Tennessee in December, as UT joined Georgia, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, South Carolina, LSU and Stanford, among others, targeting the Chattanooga lineman.

“They told me I’m one of the best kids in the state,” Hardy said.

“My other offers show that I am one of the best in the country. It makes me want to just keep working hard.”

Saturday’s visit was an opportunity for Hardy to see a different side of Tennessee than as a 12-year-old fan. He toured the facilities and spent 1-on-1 time with Pruitt and position coach Tracy Rocker, who he’s been in regular communication with since earning the offer.

“I liked riding around campus, seeing all the facilities. Get a little view of how the students live their life here,” he said.

“Coach Pruitt told me he’s recruiting good students and good football players, and I’m both. He said I fit the need for Tennessee as a d-lineman. Coach Rocker told me I can make a difference as a end in the 3-4 and 4-3 playing d-tackle.”

The visit was also an opportunity to be around several other priority in-state targets like 5-star outside linebacker Reggie Grimes II, 4-star athlete Tyler Baron and 4-star offensive tackle Marcus Henderson, as well as 4-star quarterback commit Harrison Bailey.

Pruitt gathered all the juniors in town Saturday and had a direct message to the group.

“We had a meeting and coach (Pruitt) said we have a quarterback, the No. 1 quarterback in the 2020 class, now it’s about everything else. Our (2020) class is the class to win a national championship at Tennessee.”

While Tennessee will be heavily involved throughout the process, Hardy is in no rush to make a decision anytime soon. He has a very busy upcoming visit schedule — Kentucky (Jan. 25), Georgia (Feb. 2), Virginia Tech (Feb. 8) — with more trips planned this spring (Clemson, Florida and Vandy), too.

“I’ll start narrowing stuff down a little bit in the middle of the summer and then commit at the end of my senior season next December,” he said.
--Simonton

good grief; 6'5" 265 already? this is a Bama type DL.

or, if youre old enough. TN back in 2000.

“I like Tennessee a lot,” Hardy told 247Sports, describing Tennessee football as “kind of a family thing.” Hardy, a 6-foot-4.5, 270-pound strong-side defensive end out of McCallie School in Chattanooga, is the brother of Kevin Cooper, a fullback for the Vols in the late 2000s. “I’ve been on his path for the longest, from middle school to now,” Hardy said. “So it’s a tough decision, if I should keep following his path.”

He’s been to Tennessee five times so far in his recruitment, he said, and consistently hears from Tennessee defensive line coach Tracy Rocker. “We talk a lot,” Hardy said. “Almost every day on the phone. He shows how me and Tyler Baron are really important to them.” He’s seen big changes at his in-state school since Jeremy Pruitt took over as head coach. “It’s way different from when Butch (Jones) is there,” Hardy said. “It’s like since Coach Pruitt was at Alabama, they’re actually making Tennessee look like Alabama, basically. They’re getting that vibe.”

“I like (Georgia) a lot,” Hardy said. “My good buddy, Zion Logue, is going there. He’s trying to really get me to go there and I’m going to visit this weekend.” Kentucky and Vanderbilt, two schools that Hardy said have made him feel like a priority prospect, aren’t going away anytime soon either. “I liked Kentucky a lot since the first time I went up there,” Hardy said. “When they played South Carolina, that was the day they offered me, I’ve really liked them since.”

“I like Vanderbilt a lot and Coach (Derek) Mason,” he added. “It’s definitely an academic school. I know there is more after football. It’s a good school to look into.” Hardy is planning a spring official visit to Stanford — “since that would be like the only chance I would have to get out there,” he said — but isn’t in a hurry to make any big decisions in his recruitment. “Probably going to narrow it down to my top ten on June 2nd,” Hardy said. “I have that date. Then I’ll commit after football season.”

Would be a great D End. I think he is a great D End prospect for a 3-4 defense. We should be able to sell Dline playing time and should end up with a great class at that position.

Reactions: T Dog
this kid was rated ~.8600 a month ago... lol

Just goes to show our staff knows what they're talking about. He was rated .8600 by the services and they (our staff) were telling him he was one of the best guys in the state and they wanted him.

I have to be reminded to trust this staff constantly, but I always fall for the ratings...

VN Store

Back