'21 TN DB Elijah Howard (VA Tech Commit)

So Outzen was better than Weinke? Heisman trophy winning Chris Weinke?? Peter Warrick beat Florida. And MIND YOU, I said we Still WIN even if he had played.

Thanks for leaving out the whole argument..

Jesus. How did you turn this into a disagreement? I was simply pointing out some misconceptions people have about Tennessee’s perceived “advantage” from FSU’s Weinke loss in that game.

A) I didn’t say Outzen was better than Weinke.
B) Weinke wasn’t the Heisman winner that year. And he wasn’t that good yet. Which was my point that you missed. Everyone acts like they lost a Heisman-level QB that year. They didn’t. He became that later.
C) Lewis actually was a Heisman-caliber player before going down that season and no one mentions the loss that was for Tennessee.

My point was, Tennessee didn’t enjoy the advantage folks like to claim. Yes, Weinke was better than Outzen, but the gap wasn’t as wide that year as it would become and Tennessee was without an all-time great RB. If both are healthy, Tennessee still wins in a game that is probably prettier to watch.

Worry about the ones we get, not the ones we don't. Tis fluid, if he jumps ship I am confident we will replace with as good or better prospect.

Is he jumping ship or being made to walk the plank?Tis is the big question?

Jesus. How did you turn this into a disagreement? I was simply pointing out some misconceptions people have about Tennessee’s perceived “advantage” from FSU’s Weinke loss in that game.

A) I didn’t say Outzen was better than Weinke.
B) Weinke wasn’t the Heisman winner that year. And he wasn’t that good yet. Which was my point that you missed. Everyone acts like they lost a Heisman-level QB that year. They didn’t. He became that later.
C) Lewis actually was a Heisman-caliber player before going down that season and no one mentions the loss that was for Tennessee.

My point was, Tennessee didn’t enjoy the advantage folks like to claim. Yes, Weinke was better than Outzen, but the gap wasn’t as wide that year as it would become and Tennessee was without an all-time great RB. If both are healthy, Tennessee still wins in a game that is probably prettier to watch.
Our defense would have abused lil Weinke. Outzen was running for his life.

Our defense would have abused lil Weinke. Outzen was running for his life.

That is one thing to consider...Outzen was far more mobile than Weinke and he was sacked, what, 7 times? A more stationary Weinke might've been sacked even more...or forced into bad throws, like his 6 INT game against NC State that season.

That is one thing to consider...Outzen was far more mobile than Weinke and he was sacked, what, 7 times? A more stationary Weinke might've been sacked even more...or forced into bad throws, like his 6 INT game against NC State that season.
Unanswerable

Blueshirt candidate?
If he gitting he gitting. Unless ya mean greyshirt, which is kinda extreme to ask from a longtime commit, but ya never know. Blueshirt wouldn't/shouldn't be a big deal. But seems we may need a couple if we are going for 27...and some may take it negatively even if they shouldn't.

If he gitting he gitting. Unless ya mean greyshirt, which is kinda extreme to ask from a longtime commit, but ya never know. Blueshirt wouldn't/shouldn't be a big deal. But seems we may need a couple if we are going for 27...and some may take it negatively even if they shouldn't.

I was 18 once and being recruited for baseball. I took talk of even a redshirt as a slight towards me.

Point being - I was woefully uninformed and short sighted, but I also can understand how an 18 yr old wouldn’t want to blue shirt or grey shirt or any other shirt. Pride is a hell of a drug.

I've thought this for a while, but I think this kid is a RB at the next level... His RB film last year was solid, and he is right back at it again.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but he is not big enough for RB IMO. He is definitely strong and physical, but I would be surprised if we needed/wanted another smallish RB. I think he would be ideal as the nickel.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but he is not big enough for RB IMO. He is definitely strong and physical, but I would be surprised if we needed/wanted another smallish RB. I think he would be ideal as the nickel.
He’s a good running back but we need some big backs
We need a combo of both. We signed two big backs last year and should sign Cody Brown this year. Wright is not a small back either.

Not saying the kid couldn’t play nickel, but IMO he looks like a RB or slot type of guy. Get him the ball in space.

Would you not take another Charlie Garner type back today?

Yes but he's not Charlie Garner. I say that not as an insult but Garner exploded off of missed tackles. We've probably had more prolific RB's in high school turned into defensive players. You can't be just a good RB in high school and expect to be a spectacular RB in college. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited:
247 has a new article up if someone wants to post it. Just sayin...

Elijah Howard has been committed to Tennessee longer than anyone else in the Vols’ 2021 class. And with the start of the Early Signing Period now just two months away, he doesn’t seem to be having any second thoughts about his decision or considering other options. The Class of 2021 athlete/running back from Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn., said Thursday night that he’s still “100-percent Tennessee,” and he’s no longer talking with any other schools going into the final weeks of his senior season.

“It’s home,” said Howard, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 19 running back in the 2021 class and the No. 9 senior from the state of Tennessee. “Also, I’ve been building a lot of relationships with the guys that are coming in, in my recruiting class, so we’re really looking forward to taking their spots. “There’s a lot of guys there right now that are going to end up going to the league or graduating, so as soon as we get there, it’s a promised spot. All you’ve got to do is go in there and perform.”

“I feel like Coach Pruitt turned the program totally around,” Howard said. “We’re going in the right direction with it. It starts with the line, and he’s taking care of that. We’ve got a few five-star (linemen). Right now, we’ve got Cade Mays. He’s got three years to play two, so as a running back, you just love to see it. “Also, you’ve got a lot of great receivers outside making plays, too.” Howard said he’s “probably” talking most with Tennessee defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach Brian Niedermeyer among the Vols’ coaches.

“I’m really just a versatile player, so they’re not really 100 percent on where they want to actually use me,” said Howard, who was a finalist for Tennessee’s Division II-AAA Mr. Football Award last year. “But running back, I can do it. DB, I can do it, so it doesn’t really matter. Wherever I can impact the team the most, I’ll play it.” “(Running back is) definitely best for me. But if they ultimately want to use me at DB, I’ll play it, so it’s whatever.”

“Coach Ansley was talking more about the Star position — coming down, playing that slot guy — because I can cover field,” Howard said. “Also, they’ve been talking about me playing just free safety, too, so it’s really not 100-percent sure what they want.”

Howard said he already has “gained 10 pounds from last year,” and Tennessee’s coaches aren’t encouraging him to bulk up more before he arrives on campus next summer. “They said, ‘Don’t worry about that. We can put that weight on you when you get there, when you get in the weightlifting program,’” he said.

VN Store

Back