• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

'22 TN ATH/RB Dallan Hayden (Ohio State commit)

The talk of needing another QB in this class, I'd be all for taking the Wade's and offering Destin a shot at QB. That probably is less threatening to a guy like Jackson, it potentially addresses our QB need in a pinch, and it lands us two of the better in-state athletes, not to mention, it robs UK of two players.

If QB doesn't work out for him, then you find a spot for him at WR, S, or LB.
He’s not a QB and UT isn’t going to lie to him like KY did/is.

It cant be that difficult to recruit to UT at a high level. Huepel has shown his offensive prowess to kids now. His kids play hard.

Not sure what correlation is between how were playing and lack of commits. If history is our guide, its because coaches are focused on current team versus being on road.
NCAA investigation?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I wouldn't judge Coach Heupel's recruiting prowess on this class. Several factors working against him. NCAA cloud over his head, new coach having to sell a vision when they've heard that before. Many kids are taking a await and see approach. Well they're staring to see good things so many are taking notice. Many boosters are doing the same and this will affect the NIL money available. I think if we finish strong, make a bowl, show out on said bowl, things will pick up in recruiting and next year will be good. We all knew this was going to be a slow climb and not an overnight thing. Step one, establish yourself as 3rd in the east behind GA, and FL. We may accomplish that this year with really only KY standing in the way. Step two, become competitive with FL and GA. I think we're closer than many think to FL right now but we're still way behind GA. We'll have to recruit well for several years to get to their level. We can beat them with lesser talent but we are so depleted body wise we can't sustain a 4 quarter game against a team like GA. I really believe we can get there, it will just take some time.

The moral high ground doesn't exist in SEC football. Offering him a shot to play QB isn't lying to him.
Giving him a couple of token practices at qb before inevitably moving him to WR isn’t really giving him a shot at qb. That’s what Kentucky is going to do. Randall Cobb 2.0

Reactions: VolByLaw
Giving him a couple of token practices at qb before inevitably moving him to WR isn’t really giving him a shot at qb. That’s what Kentucky is going to do. Randall Cobb 2.0
Come on...Randall Cobb had 122 career pass attempts. He, very much, got a legitimate shot at QB as a freshman and then had a very successful career as a WR and wildcat QB.

And who cares what happens once Wade arrives on campus? It's up to him to decide if he's okay with the fallout if QB doesn't work out,, for whatever reason. If Destin Wade becomes the Tennessee version of Randall Cobb, even after just a couple token practices at QB, who comes out on the bad end of that? Tennessee has an All-SEC WR, and Wade becomes a 2nd round NFL pick at WR.

Last edited:
Come on...Randall Cobb had 122 career pass attempts. He, very much, got a legitimate shot at QB as a freshman and then had a very successful career as a WR and wildcat QB.

And who cares what happens once Wade arrives on campus? It's up to him to decide if he's okay with the fallout if QB doesn't work out,, for whatever reason. If Keaton Wade becomes the Tennessee version of Randall Cobb, even after just a couple token practices at QB, who comes out on the bade end of that? Tennessee has an All-SEC WR, and Wade becomes a 2nd round NFL pick at WR.
The difference between then and now is the free transfer rule. Sure, you could hope that Wade will listen to reason and accept the change. But if not, they could simply decide that instant to hit the portal and bail. And they could tank our future recruiting by telling kids that Heupel doesn’t keep his promises

It cant be that difficult to recruit to UT at a high level. Huepel has shown his offensive prowess to kids now. His kids play hard.

Not sure what correlation is between how were playing and lack of commits. If history is our guide, its because coaches are focused on current team versus being on road.
eh, our recent history is what it is. and it's still easy to negative recruit us. track records being what they are, it's real easy to point at us and say 'you think that guy's gonna be here in 3 years? this is coach #5 in 13 years.' or 'ncaa investigation isn't done yet, you wanna be there when the hammer comes down?'

CJH and staff are probably doing fine with the relationship piece of the pitch. i think they have to be doing great with the on field pitch. i mean, offensively, the program is completely transformed from what it was....there's no question about that. and even defensively, i think you can maybe sell more there simply because of who all ISN'T there anyomre, and the complete lack of depth....and we're still considered waaaaay better defensively than we've been. i think we can sell intangibles pretty well right now b/c by all accounts, the culture is better.

so, i think the lack of commits is probably just due to outside influences getting in to the ear of these kids. and they can't ignore it.

which is why i am fine with the class turning out however it does. we need as much immediate/experienced help we can get on the LOS from the portal. continue to build on what we've done so far this year and go out next year and do it again...but this time, close the deal against our next 'ole miss' or 'florida' type game.

I wonder if the success with Hooker and potential of transfers will open Heupel up to idea of giving Wade a shot at QB to fill that room and see how he progresses

Reactions: Rocky_Top_Vol13
I’m pretty confident we will be able to attract players on offense. I am however worried about defense. My biggest fear with JH has been recruiting, we can’t judge yet though he needs time to build relationships. Beating UK and winning the rest of our games minus Georgia plus the bowl would do dividends I think.
i think Banks, Garner and the rest of that defensive staff have put plenty on the field and on tape to sell to recruits. we've gotten better on defense, and you want playing time? well, good news.........................we have spots in the rotation waiting.

the problem isn't what we have to sell....it's what we can't sell against. the negative recruiting is still a thing, and it's apparent kids are listening. it is what it is.

get to year 3 and 4 and let's see where we are.

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
The talk of needing another QB in this class, I'd be all for taking the Wade's and offering Destin a shot at QB. That probably is less threatening to a guy like Jackson, it potentially addresses our QB need in a pinch, and it lands us two of the better in-state athletes, not to mention, it robs UK of two players.

If QB doesn't work out for him, then you find a spot for him at WR, S, or LB.

Heupel was already honest during his recruitment.

Him telling Destin Wade he’ll get a shot at QB would be lying considering he already told him once before that he wanted him on defense.

Not to mention it’s highly unlikely he’s going to beat out Hooker much less pass up Jackson on the depth chart.

Heupel was already honest during his recruitment.

Him telling Destin Wade he’ll get a shot at QB would be lying considering he already told him once before that he wanted him on defense.

Not to mention it’s highly unlikely he’s going to beat out Hooker much less pass up Jackson on the depth chart.
A real beta mindset if he has his heart set on playing QB in the SEC.

Reactions: VolNash17

It’s normally not that difficult to recruit to TN. Doofus had decent recruiting classes here. The reason we are struggling in recruiting has nothing to do with Heupel. It’s got everything to do with Phil and the gump he hired who was so bad he couldn’t even win at cheating.

The moral high ground doesn't exist in SEC football. Offering him a shot to play QB isn't lying to him.

A lot of folks on these message boards thought that Jauan Jennings and Jimmy Holiday would play QB at Tennessee simply because they were promised a shot. They got that shot, showed that they weren’t SEC QBs, as the coaches knew they would, and then changed positions.

A lot of folks on these message boards thought that Jauan Jennings and Jimmy Holiday would play QB at Tennessee simply because they were promised a shot. They got that shot, showed that they weren’t SEC QBs, as the coaches knew they would, and then changed positions.

I thought JJ should have played more wildcat at times.

VN Store

Back