Timely story about Kara Lawson and coaching

I've generally thought we need someone who has head coached before but Kara would be my one exception to that. Not only do I think she'd be worth the gamble, the more I think of it, the more perfect it is.

As all have noted, Kara's smart, tough, poised, successful and an LV legend to boot (there you go mythical old guard) . Temperamentally, she's much more the natural successor to Pat than Holly is. Remember how she came to be an LV? Against the wishes of her Dad, a career military officer, who wanted her to go to Stanford, I believe. Total focus and metal toughness even in those circumstances. Remember focus and mental toughness?

The return of Kara would probably bring the crowds back and rekindle flagging interest in the program far faster than any other new coach, especially if the team becomes competitive again. I also think she'd be a natural on the recruiting trail, well known, well spoken, right age (37), and tons of game cred as a 12 yr WNBAer.

BUT I don't want to go all Peyton on this; maybe when she says she doesn't want to coach she actually means it. This article did give me hope on that front tho, she seemed to enjoy the 3 on 3 experience, maybe it will get in her blood.

I know this sounds crazy but at this point I really believe we have to move on to the next coach even if its the next bad coach. Kara would def be worth the gamble IMO, we have to move forward.
Make it worth her while!!

I am a bit amused by all the handicapping of wishes for HC.... MUST be one with deep tennessee ties.... MUST be a woman..... pie in the sky picks like Becky Hammon and others which make me ask "why would they come?".... Kara Lawson.... I love her.... but why would she want to coach... it appears she is happy doing other things....

On being in the Tenn family.... why is this necessary? I know why sentiment is strong, but we need a teacher not someone who is LVFL and will not leave the program... I do not see that as a LVFL.... you have to know when you are whooped and not one bit effective and as for Tenn background... Rick Barnes doing pretty well...

And I love the insistence of many that we need a woman..... though these same people were clamoring for Tyler Summit a short time ago..... and if woman is necessary, why put Jeff Walz on the dream wish list as many still have....

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Kara Lawson as Lady Vols head coach?

You have got to be kidding.

Ah, how much that fantasy sounds appealing vs the reality!

But that reality is Holly Warlick is not going to be replaced. Not by any other experienced coach (college or otherwise), not by any number of former Lady Vols, or both. And to that, I wish I was kidding. But despite obvious reasons to fire her in the past, there have always scraped up an excuse not to. And once this season is over, regardless of the outcome and any fan outrage, Holly Warlick will still be Lady Vols head coach. And her friends will still be blaming the players.

And for those of you who tout the wisdom of Phillip Fulmer saving the day? I stand mute.

The sad thing is, they're not...

u got to be kidding, for Kara to be a coach, but nobody got to be kidding u for Holly to be there 7yrs + Distroying almost all the records. Did Kara took a 3×3 team to an international competition to represent USA and won? Why did they they gave her that team? Because they saw something in her. Imagine a 21yrs old lady built a power house program, she never had top recruits but wat she did was kept growing every year until she became a star. If anyone has a star team and kept recruiting heavily but kept moving 2 steps forward and 4 steps backwards for 7yrs while tanks teams kept embarrassing the program it's time for her to goooo

Reactions: OJ
Remember, the 3x3 is still a fairly new sport, and the young women selected to represent the U.S. are more than likely playing it for the first time when they suit up to play for Kara.

And so Kara must be a heckuva teacher to have quickly taught her players the game and the strategies necessary for winning World Championships.

VN Store

Back