Time OUT

mytenn

Several who watch much more or all of the games than myself have mentioned, "why doesn't Kellie call timeouts with greater frequency." Some reasons for using timeouts include:
Teaching points to correct the player(s) back to what they were taught in practice, or regarding the approach outlined for this particular opponent, or specifics noticed in the flow of the game that need adjustments..
Too, when there is a young team, especially Freshmen playing major minutes, they are not used to college ball in number or frequency of games played, the travel, practice intensity, or competition level, and may
benefit from more breaks, for a breather if nothing else.
And, if the team is missing several players due to transfer and injury more rest breaks may help keep them fresher and less prone to sloppy play and increased errors...

On the other hand, a coach may want to have players toughen up, figure things out themselves, and among themselves without the rest and teaching during time outs, while making an occasional point during play from
the sidelines, and substituting more than some other programs. Maybe she may thinks this helps bring players closer together, and benefit the longer term ?

Because of the clear need in recruiting for a new coach- without several consecutive years of high level success in another program as credentials, and only a first year class of a couple 3 stars, as in Kellie's situation, I wonder if she is using
the best judgement by possibly sacrificing a few games with a tactic as this?

Reactions: lvocd
Most coaches will use a time out to break the rhythm of an opponent's scoring run. Teaching moments for an individual player is usually done by subbing the player out.
If a coach has to call a time out to give their players a breather then they need to take a closer look at their conditioning program.

I think a lot of coaches don’t like to call timeouts during the main portion of the game because you get so many others these days.

Media timeouts, official reviews, quarter breaks etc. I think many feel they have ample opportunity to speak with their team during the game.

Several who watch much more or all of the games than myself have mentioned, "why doesn't Kellie call timeouts with greater frequency." Some reasons for using timeouts include:
Teaching points to correct the player(s) back to what they were taught in practice, or regarding the approach outlined for this particular opponent, or specifics noticed in the flow of the game that need adjustments..
Too, when there is a young team, especially Freshmen playing major minutes, they are not used to college ball in number or frequency of games played, the travel, practice intensity, or competition level, and may
benefit from more breaks, for a breather if nothing else.
And, if the team is missing several players due to transfer and injury more rest breaks may help keep them fresher and less prone to sloppy play and increased errors...

On the other hand, a coach may want to have players toughen up, figure things out themselves, and among themselves without the rest and teaching during time outs, while making an occasional point during play from
the sidelines, and substituting more than some other programs. Maybe she may thinks this helps bring players closer together, and benefit the longer term ?

Because of the clear need in recruiting for a new coach- without several consecutive years of high level success in another program as credentials, and only a first year class of a couple 3 stars, as in Kellie's situation, I wonder if she is using
the best judgement by possibly sacrificing a few games with a tactic as this?
We saw that last year with that impostor and we are seeing it again this year.

....If a coach has to call a time out to give their players a breather then they need to take a closer look at their conditioning program.

Yep

I think a lot of coaches don’t like to call timeouts during the main portion of the game because you get so many others these days.

Media timeouts, official reviews, quarter breaks etc. I think many feel they have ample opportunity to speak with their team during the game.

A media timeout is NOT a used timeout and the players know the difference...I'll stand by this!

Reactions: NeedOrange
Most coaches don't call time outs. they will wait for the mandated TV timeouts. Conditioning?, You get a 10-12 second break for every free throw almost 30 for two. Plenty of time to catch your breath. If the game is not out of hand, you must save the timeouts for the end of the game when they can help you win. The first time LV's lose a game because the couldn't call a time out, some of the arm chair coaches will be screaming for KJH's head for not saving time outs.

I believe everyone is missing the main reason of saving. Advance the ball end of game. Huge to have at least one. So as a Coach during the game you our always thinking I need at least two.

I believe everyone is missing the main reason of saving. Advance the ball end of game. Huge to have at least one. So as a Coach during the game you our always thinking I need at least two.

If you need more than two timeouts at the end of a game and you have more than two,,, you should have used the extra two before you got to that point.

I have been coaching for 40 years and the percentage of games where me, or someone I was watching, NEEDED more than two timeouts at the end of a game is easily less than 1/2 of one percent.

So you have coached in the NBA were saving timeouts for the end of games to advance ball.

So you have coached in the NBA were saving timeouts for the end of games to advance ball.

the NBA gets two media timeouts per quarter, that is 8 stoppages of more than two minutes
each team gets 7 timeouts of 1 min 15 secs,,,if all are used that is 22 stoppages
I think their game is a little different from ours

I think we may be micro managing just a little bit. I'm fairly sure the coach of any college basketball team is aware of when to use a timeout. Sure, every one of them will make a mistake at some point but most likely it would not have made a difference unless ur in a really close game at the end. Not sure about teaching moments but I do believe in taking them to adjust strategy.

Reactions: T_Vol376
i wish she would quit subbing the way she does..if the players are out of shape, hire a new conditioning coach..they really miss jenny moshak

VN Store

Back