Tim McHugh

I've just searched 247 for his profile. Nothing. Anybody got any info on this guy? Nevermind.

Not really. I hear there are some who are removing themselves from list as quickly as there are some added. Not completely confirmed yet but I hear some might be going other places or not playing at all. So the list may be the same length just different names. I know one saw the writing on the wall and made a smart choice for himself. Is going somewhere he will play immediately. Just remember there are always walk-ons that are "committed" but doesn't mean they have a spot. There is a fine line between committed and invited. Some commit even if they are not guaranteed a spot. Some are preferred walk-ons which mean they have a spot in the fall but are told upfront that they will have to work really hard to keep a spot for the spring but they are willing to take the risk. Some guys, UT or wherever is their dream school and they are willing to risk everything to get a chance to play there. A guy I coached has hung around for two years hoping he will eventually get a chance to contribute in the spring. He knew when he went there the chances were small but he "committed" and was on the list even though he may never put on a Vols uniform.

Not really. I hear there are some who are removing themselves from list as quickly as there are some added. Not completely confirmed yet but I hear some might be going other places or not playing at all. So the list may be the same length just different names. I know one saw the writing on the wall and made a smart choice for himself. Is going somewhere he will play immediately. Just remember there are always walk-ons that are "committed" but doesn't mean they have a spot. There is a fine line between committed and invited. Some commit even if they are not guaranteed a spot. Some are preferred walk-ons which mean they have a spot in the fall but are told upfront that they will have to work really hard to keep a spot for the spring but they are willing to take the risk. Some guys, UT or wherever is their dream school and they are willing to risk everything to get a chance to play there. A guy I coached has hung around for two years hoping he will eventually get a chance to contribute in the spring. He knew when he went there the chances were small but he "committed" and was on the list even though he may never put on a Vols uniform.

Hmmmm

Surely you aren’t saying multiple players on the committed list have been told to look elsewhere before even stepping foot on campus?

If that’s what you are saying that’s exactly why oversigning to the excessive rate we are is dead ass wrong

I can say with certainty they are under the 11.7. Tons of kids put on Twitter they are committing but aren’t on scholarship and have been invited to earn a spot. Hard to decipher in the public eye which is which.

Not saying they were told to go otherwise and none are scholarship or preferred walk-on players. Just know that a couple who "committed" and understand if they commit does not mean they were invited. It has become a thing to say you are committing even if you are planning on trying to walk on. I know there are several kids that are friends of my sons and who he has played with that "committed" to schools that never recruited them and their PG account shows they are committed even though they are just walk-ons. I also know there are some that were recruited as walk-ons with no guarantees from the school that were recruited by another school that fit their abilities better. The one I know exactly where he is going was going to struggle finding playing time at UT and now has found a place where he fits. I have learned that many of the committed lists that are out there are a list of names of kids who say they are committed to attend X school but the school rarely or never puts out a list of players that are committed or even ones they offered scholarships to. Many get to the last months and find out that their chances are getting slimmer. My oldest son had a preferred walk-on commitment at another D1 school but realized when they brought in two guys that summer for his position there was no reason to go through all the hassle so he de-committed even though it was never really a commitment on the school's part. Social media has hugely changed the recruiting process.

Reactions: Volsbaseballfan1
Oh and I think we need to out these foolish kids that made up their commitment to the Vols when they weren’t even recruited. Those liars need to be publicly outed for making **** up for fame

A walk-on is one who actually comes to a tryout that is required by NCAA for every D1 team to have in the fall. They are truly trying to earn a spot on a team. Statistics say less than .01% of all walk-ons get a spot so a remote chance and I would say even lower at Power 5 schools. A preferred wallk-on is a non-scholarship player that is guaranteed a spot through the fall but not on scholarship so no true commitment from the school to the player. This is normally a large % of in-state baseball players at every D1. But understand they are normally paying less than the out of state players on scholarship because of lottery money and other incentives. Then there are the scholarship players which are receiving money from the school for baseball but are still not guaranteed any playing time. The only ones who actually sign an NLI are the ones receiving scholarship money. So when you see a signing it doesn't mean they are actually on scholarship or are committed. A non-scholarship player has no commitment to the school and vice versa until he walks on the practice field the first time. It has become a "thing" to commit to a school and "sign" even if you are not on scholarship. But neither of those are binding on player or school. There are young men who "sign" nothing and are "committed" even though they are just walking on, not preferred walk ons. But again, that is the new culture like posting every time you receive an offer, even if that offer is not a scholarship.

Oh and I think we need to out these foolish kids that made up their commitment to the Vols when they weren’t even recruited. Those liars need to be publicly outed for making **** up for fame
This happens and it goes on the “list” on Perfect Game and really inflates the number of players coming in. Player says to staff I’d love a chance to walk on to the Vols . Staff says ok you can come to fall camp and earn an opportunity to walk and compete. Player then puts on Twitter I have committed to Tennessee blah blah blah.

This happens and it goes on the “list” on Perfect Game and really inflates the number of players coming in. Player says to staff I’d love a chance to walk on to the Vols . Staff says ok you can come to fall camp and earn an opportunity to walk and compete. Player then puts on Twitter I have committed to Tennessee blah blah blah.

Yea well that isn’t what the op said

He said the staff doesn’t even talk to them

Ok the tone toward the walk on player in thread sucks. It’s really disrespectful.

I’ll say this for anyone that cares. A preferred walk on is in most cases guaranteed a rooster spot. I don’t believe many if any of our commits are recruited this way.

I believe every single player that is listed as a commit was recruited to be a Vol. every single player was recruited believing that had a realistic shot at making the roster. I believe they knew they had to fight for one of the 7 walk on spots on the 35. I believe most are surprised at how many other walk ons there are fighting for those 7 spots.

I don’t believe there is a single player. Not a single player that lied about being committed to the Vols. I don’t believe there is a single player committed to the Vols that Wasn’t recruited. I believe such situations are extremely rare.

Now the lack of respect shown for a Recruit committing to a school like ours as a walk on is appalling. College baseball needs walk ons and they should be treated my more than a long list of cast away players that probably lied about being committed anyways.

Ok the tone toward the walk on player in thread sucks. It’s really disrespectful.

I’ll say this for anyone that cares. A preferred walk on is in most cases guaranteed a rooster spot. I don’t believe many if any of our commits are recruited this way.

I believe every single player that is listed as a commit was recruited to be a Vol. every single player was recruited believing that had a realistic shot at making the roster. I believe they knew they had to fight for one of the 7 walk on spots on the 35. I believe most are surprised at how many other walk ons there are fighting for those 7 spots.

I don’t believe there is a single player. Not a single player that lied about being committed to the Vols. I don’t believe there is a single player committed to the Vols that Wasn’t recruited. I believe such situations are extremely rare.

Now the lack of respect shown for a Recruit committing to a school like ours as a walk on is appalling. College baseball needs walk ons and they should be treated my more than a long list of cast away players that probably lied about being committed anyways.
If there was lack of respect on my end there was absolutely none intended whatsoever. Walk ons are a vital part of any program in college baseball without question. Big difference between a recruited a walk on and one that just is trying out and claims he is committed.

If you are referring to me as disrespectful to walk-ons then you are wrong about me. Walk-ons know there is a remote chance they will actually make the roster at a P5 but they are willing to work to make it. I'm not saying there is a long list of players saying they are committed at UT that were not recruited but I said there are those who do it every year at SCHOOLS every year, not just UT. I have tremendous respect for walk-ons because I know how hard it is to become a walk-on. I have coached several who have overcome the odds and made it but they are the few because I have also coached the ones who were cut. Some are willing to say I either want to play at X school or I don't want to play. I have also coached the ones that I had to say you don't have the ability to play at X school but you can be successful at A school. Life is full of tough decisions. Walk-ons should be respected because they worked hard to overcome the odds.
Staff talking to them and coming to watch them is not recruiting in my mind. I have had some guys that staffs have said we don't have a guaranteed spot for you but if you would like to come tryout our date will be X. The only catch is to tryout you have to be a student. Recruiting them is offering them a preferred walk-on spot. Maybe we are talking symantics but in the process there are different words that are used to mean different things. To the average person if a coach comes and watches you or has any contact with you it is recruiting but not in my book. If you are recruted then you are offered a preferred walk-on spot which means you are guaranteed a spot through the fall. So when I say they are not recruited, I mean they were not offered anything guaranteed. Does not mean they are not good players but staff does not see enough to guarantee a spot.
I know there are a lot of kids, in general not just UT, that commit to a school that they are walking on at. When you say committed list, what list are referring to? Because when I look up various schools there are multiple names on different lists and not all are the same. So I have come to realize that committed does not mean to me what it means to others. Committed means a player plans to play at X school but there is no commitment from the school. Committed is only one sided from player to school. NLI is committed on both sides. This is why recruiting is so complicated.

Big difference between a recruited a walk on and one that just is trying out and claims he is committed.

I agree but I don’t think we have anyone listed as committed that are just coming
To the open tryouts for all students. I think all players listed as commits believe they will be treated like all players regarding strength & conditioning training, individual skill work and team activities.

The assumption by the op that the players falling off the committed list now are liars and never recruited is appalling.

Yea well that isn’t what the op said

He said the staff doesn’t even talk to them
Never said they didn't talk if you are referring to me. The word recruiting has different meanings to different people. I have changed my definition over the years. A school is only recruiting you if they are making you some form of offer, even if it is verbal preferred walk-on. You can have a conversation with a coach and him even watch you play without him recruiting you.

VN Store

Back