Tim Banks

Fourth downs were much worse than thirds, 5/6 vs 7/15. That kinda fourth down pct is unacceptable and has to be cleaned up. Glad we have two weeks before next game to work on issues.

Yeah, I don't think all the work in the world is gonna fix it. The entire Defensive coaching staff except for Garner is bad.

Nah, that zone coverage allowed for to much yardage. We do not have a bend don't break defense yet. Richardson is always good for an turnover when pressured. We don't have the D-Line to be playing zone all game.
We don’t have the talent or the depth. These are still Pruitt’s classes in the two upper classes. Banks is playcalling to reduce risk. He’s not the problem. We’re a couple of classes away from having the talent and depth we need on D. We had some terrible DB play today in crucial situations. We played to stop the run and dare them to throw. Boy did they. Gotta be patient. This team needs big athletic DBs, and linebacker depth.

A good team D having a bad game is a whole lot different than a teams D that constantly having 3rd and forever turn into 4th and manageable turning into 1st and 10

I honestly don’t see the difference because both teams are 4-0 and they are different teams altogether. Yet one of those fanbases hasn’t seen that type of success in such a long time that they are trying to handle it.

I think the scheme was bad tonight and they were afraid to adjust, the defense against Pitt looked good, I think this game looked much better if we had blitzed but for some reason they were afraid to, mind boggling in a way when everyone watching saw Richardson get flustered when pressured.

Reactions: cgrish
We don’t have the talent or the depth. These are still Pruitt’s classes in the two upper classes. Banks is playcalling to reduce risk. He’s not the problem. We’re a couple of classes away from having the talent and depth we need on D. We had some terrible DB play today in crucial situations. We played to stop the run and dare them to throw. Boy did they. Gotta be patient. This team needs big athletic DBs, and linebacker depth.
I agree with 95% of what you say here but there were only a handful of play calls that changed, after Richardson established himself as an effective passer. Tennessee forced Florida to play behind the chains and was effective enough to force 15 third down attempts and 6 fourth down attempts. But situationally, they allowed conversions playing coverage.

If you want to protect inexperienced corners, pressure the football. When the defense did pressure Richardson, he was a lot less effective. I don’t like comparing teams or talent but Barry Odem is competing with someone else’s talent with a former walk-on starting at corner. In year one, they were coached up and playing aggressive defense.

I’m not a defensive scheme expert by any means but all week all we heard was contain AR and stop the run. Make AR beat us with his arm. Stop the run and let him pass because most of you didn’t believe he could. That’s exactly what we did. But guess what…he can pass apparently. He stepped up his game and actually threw the ball like those “in the know” believed he could but hadn’t to that point. So did Banks not execute the game plan perfectly? Yes AR got passing yards but the fear was his athleticism and feet were what could hurt us. We won by doing just that. And now people are chastising the staff because they executed the plan 99% of coaches would have put in place and were successful.
This fan base is so bi-polar. On Friday it’s give me a UT win by 1 point! Nothing else matters! But on Saturday AFTER a win against a huge rival that has had our number for 16 of 17 years…it’s we should have won by MORE and fire the coaches because we won, but not by enough.

I agree with 95% of what you say here but there were only a handful of play calls that changed, after Richardson established himself as an effective passer. Tennessee forced Florida to play behind the chains and was effective enough to force 15 third down attempts and 6 fourth down attempts. But situationally, they allowed conversions playing coverage.

If you want to protect inexperienced corners, pressure the football. When the defense did pressure Richardson, he was a lot less effective. I don’t like comparing teams or talent but Barry Odem is competing with someone else’s talent with a former walk-on starting at corner. In year one, they were coached up and playing aggressive defense.
Prior to this game, Richardson hadn’t thrown a TD, had a hard time with zone, and was beaten by KY by taking away his run lanes. Our gameplan was to overcommit to stopping the RBs and take the main lanes away from AR so he couldn’t run. The kid came out and threw the ball really well. Fl had a perfect response to a deep two zone, they ran to receivers into the deep middle, and then a third, and sometimes a back too. As always our LB in coverage couldn’t handle it, our safety had to choose between two routes and our CB’s don’t have the talent to handle one guy. I don’t like the gameplan. I don’t like that it wasn’t flexible, but this comes from Heupel too. They don’t trust our DB’s. They do trust Omari and the LB’s. Those guys played pretty well. We aren’t getting to QBs enough in standard three rush, four or sometimes five. This is a really thin team. It’s missing a secondary and a rush. You can cover one of those weaknesses, but not both. We are getting better at speed rushing outside, but that’s our one trick. Releasing Banks to blitz is high risk. CB blitzes are too. It leaves us with bringing up the star or doubling ends. Again, I don’t like a gameplan that leaves third or fourth and long so open, doesn’t create middle pressure etc, but this team will have a hole in the D no matter where we overcompensate. We don’t have DB talent or depth, the rush isn’t there in any package, and our LBs are too slow to cover crosses. It is an impossible coaching task. I also have to reluctantly say this— Napier had a great plan. He knew what we’d do. He knew he had four downs always, no matter how long. He used them. He looks like a rube, but they were ready, and using all four downs was smart chess. We suck on 3rd/4th and long. We’re lucky they didn’t have typical FL talent/depth. This defense needs a great couple of recruiting classes. I’ll judge Banks after that.

Hard to call a defense without a secondary or LBs. Banks isn’t our issue. Let them keep recruiting
Some of our "smartest" fans want our defense to look like we've been recruiting top level SEC defensive players for many years in a row and we have this mythical "depth" everyone keeps speaking of.

We are however, good enough to win. The next step is being good enough to dominate. That will be accomplished by recruiting. And recruiting alone. We didn't get magically better over one off season. That will take time.
Better for us to be winning while it happens. Which we are. All y'all fake A defensive coordinators need to calm down. Your negativity is ruining the page. This was a big win and it should seem like it around here.

I like how he dialed up pressure at the end of the game against the two Hail Mary plays but agree it shouldn’t have gotten to that point.

We also held Florida in check through 3.5 quarters as far as scoring, only giving up 21, against a bi polar qb who is a probable high first round draft pick. 38-27 should have been the final if you ask me if we do our job on offense and get the first down.

Last edited:
Banks does a good job with what he has. The overall speed and athleticism in the defensive backfield and at linebacker is not on par with the upper tier of the SEC. The Vols made Florida drive down the field and until the last minute, they avoided catastrophic plays. Based on earlier games, blitzing Richardson did not seem to be the best idea. Hopefully some of the 4 and 5 star defensive players see the opportunity to play right away for a school that is passionate about its football.

I’m not a defensive scheme expert by any means but all week all we heard was contain AR and stop the run. Make AR beat us with his arm. Stop the run and let him pass because most of you didn’t believe he could. That’s exactly what we did. But guess what…he can pass apparently. He stepped up his game and actually threw the ball like those “in the know” believed he could but hadn’t to that point. So did Banks not execute the game plan perfectly? Yes AR got passing yards but the fear was his athleticism and feet were what could hurt us. We won by doing just that. And now people are chastising the staff because they executed the plan 99% of coaches would have put in place and were successful.
This fan base is so bi-polar. On Friday it’s give me a UT win by 1 point! Nothing else matters! But on Saturday AFTER a win against a huge rival that has had our number for 16 of 17 years…it’s we should have won by MORE and fire the coaches because we won, but not by enough.

Great post!

VN Store

Back