Tim Banks Appreciation

bpalmer28

Let's not forget what this man inherited. Prior to Banks' arrival, we ranked 69th nationally in scoring defense at 30.1 ppg in 2020. Our pass defense ranked 106th (265.8 ypg) and our run defense ranked 41st (141.6 ypg).

We've improved each year since Banks being hired. This year, we rank 28th nationally in scoring defense with 19.4 ppg. Our pass defense is up to 36th nationally (201 ypg) and our run defense ranks 25th (109.9 ypg). We are top 5 in the SEC in each category, including 3rd in the SEC in scoring behind you know who.

What's even more impressive is that he's accomplished this while competing alongside one of the most up-tempo offenses in the country. Hats off to Tim Banks!

Side note: While combing through these numbers I couldn't help but notice how dominant James Madison's run defense is. They are giving up only 36.1 ypg on the ground and only 1.2 ypc! Their best player, Jalen Green, leads the country in both TFL (18) and sacks (13.0). He's a senior but he played only 2 games in 2019 and didn't play at all in 2020 or 2021, so he has some eligibility left....

a lot of people still don’t realize that what Josh and Tim inherited was still better than 9 teams on our schedule. Need to win 10 this year and at least 10 next year. I had Missouri as a loss at the start of the year but it’s a must win now. We will beat UGA

a lot of people still don’t realize that what Josh and Tim inherited was still better than 9 teams on our schedule. Need to win 10 this year and at least 10 next year. I had Missouri as a loss at the start of the year but it’s a must win now. We will beat UGA
We will do good to win 9. Which would be a very good season

The context of our defense performing at the current level despite our up tempo offense takes a bit of a hit considering we're not operating anything like last season but it's worth noting
True. We're no longer the fastest team in college football, but still top 25.

Reactions: KHVol
Don't you know? We're not entitled to expect anything. Our football program has no more history or wins than Vandy and that's all we should expect.

Agree with OP. However need to find a way to stop these road game meltdowns where we let opposing teams score on basically every drive they have for a quarter or more (2nd half bama, 1st half Florida, all of the USCjr game last season). This kentucky game is going to be huge for banks to show his defense can travel

Coach Banks still has a lot to prove. Gamecocks and Bulldogs did well even with our great offense last year. If offense can stay aggressive, I believe he can keep us in the conversation. Winning out is not impossible. A bulldog loss in the sec championship to Bama and we could be in the playoffs

Coach Banks still has a lot to prove. Gamecocks and Bulldogs did well even with our great offense last year. If offense can stay aggressive, I believe he can keep us in the conversation. Winning out is not impossible. A bulldog loss in the sec championship to Bama and we could be in the playoffs
There is zero chance of Tennessee making playoffs. You are just looking at as if the SEC is guaranteed to have 2 teams. Which they are not. There are so many teams outside the SEC that can finish their schedules with 1 loss.

Reactions: Sarms58
No.

Reactions: foolonthehill
This thread is what typical bias in the workplace looks like. Some of y'all refuse to give the man credit for what he's accomplished since he took over a defense that had a 1.5 million dollar price tag attached to it that nobody wanted. No coach with a good reputation would touch the mess of a defense we had. Coach Banks wasn't like the cowards that were afraid of this job. He took the job and then had to figure out how to win with a depleted roster, playing walk-ons in the SEC and along side of a fast paced offense that would put pressure on an already fragile defense.
Sure he's done some things that even he's said he'd like to change, but the bottom line is did he find a way to help us win? Did the defense do enough to help us win? I don't care how many points you score, if defense ain't stopping anyone, we ain't winning. End of story. We were #22 in stop rate last year which is impressive considering the circumstances and right now we sit at #17 in total defense. This is impressive. Give the man some credit! Use the same standard of judgment and benefit of the doubt that you give on the other side of the ball. Be a TEAM player. And I know that's hard for some of y'all who are stuck in your ways.....do better.

I think it’s starting to come together finally on the defensive side of the ball. Secondary took a while to come along but seems like we’ve finally got some stability there as well. I think banks has done a good job with the talent he has. I’m not ready to say he’s great bc ultimately you’re judged mostly in the performance of your defense in three games Bama, Georgia, Florida. We were terrible vs Florida and had a great half vs Bama then a let down even though the refs had a lot to do with that. I want to see how we play vs Georgia this season.

Defense has no doubt improved every season he has been here but if you are going to compare to 2020 then you need to use conference only stats as a comparison since we played a SEC-only schedule that year due to Covid. Virginia, Austin Peay, and UTSA aren’t the same caliber teams as what we have to play in the SEC so I assume the stats will be a little skewed going off 2020 alone.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
There is zero chance of Tennessee making playoffs. You are just looking at as if the SEC is guaranteed to have 2 teams. Which they are not. There are so many teams outside the SEC that can finish their schedules with 1 loss.
I agree UT isn't making the playoffs. That being said, a 2 loss SEC team has a better chance than than many 1 loss teams from other conferences

Other than maybe Vandy, who are the other 8 that inherited a roster and culture more depleted than ours, and an environment more toxic? Because last I checked, everyone from the most optimistic fan to most well respected national sports personality had us written off for dead after Pruitt’s departure.

Reactions: Sarms58
Personally think Banks has done a solid, not spectacular job so far.

There is a glaring issue in the secondary which lacks speed, physicality , and has a massive hole named Willie Martinez coaching them though.

Clean up the secondary and keep upgrading the front seven and I think Banks could be a long term fixture here if he doesn't take another offer at a smaller school eventually.

VN Store

Back