Thread for folks skeptical of joining THE VOL CLUB (TN NIL Club)

@LAVol1 posted this

"Can't signup. As I read the terms and conditions, you may only cancel with the permission of the Volunteer Club. That means you cannot cancel unilaterally. I can't agree to that. If that is not the case, they need to clarify that in the agreement."

I am not giving shat if those are the rules. So until that's clarified no thank you.

Without approving or condeming the particulars, the cancellation language on their website looks like generic copy and paste cancellation language boilerplate I've seen on many other generic site-in-a-box product sales portals. Those exact sentences have been copied and pasted across thousands of websites. As to its enforceability, who can say, but I think it's focused on customers who pick "annual" terms instead of "monthly." I suspect they're saying that if you pick annual and submit it, then you're held to that deal, and there's cancellation fees similar to other yearly subscriptions that come with termination fee language - at least, they want it to appear that way. Similar to cable companies or Planet Fitness or whatever. Which makes sense, since they have to know what they're going to get to budget against what they pay the players, lest they be left holding the bag.

Anyway, you're right to want clarification, but I would bet a jar of Claussen pickles signed by Casey Clausen that they're just saying "if you sign up for an annual deal we're not just gonna let you out of your commitment without early termination fees." Sort of surprised they have month-to-month, but I guess they need it to spin up the customer base. I wonder what the churn is. Anyway.

Without approving or condeming the particulars, the cancellation language on their website looks like generic copy and paste cancellation language boilerplate I've seen on many other generic site-in-a-box product sales portals. Those exact sentences have been copied and pasted across thousands of websites. As to its enforceability, who can say, but I think it's focused on customers who pick "annual" terms instead of "monthly." I suspect they're saying that if you pick annual and submit it, then you're held to that deal, and there's cancellation fees similar to other yearly subscriptions that come with termination fee language - at least, they want it to appear that way. Similar to cable companies or Planet Fitness or whatever. And similar to those other companies, I'm sure there's some sort of unspoken neogtiated release terms they'll offer if someone were to ask for it. I wonder how often that happens?

Anyway, you're right to want clarification, but I would bet a jar of Claussen pickles signed by Casey Clausen that they're just saying "if you sign up for an annual deal we're not just gonna let you out of your commitment without exit fees." Surprised they have month to month. I guess they need it to spin up the customer base but I wonder what the churn is. Anyway.
100% agree. But they need to clarify before I donate. I am confident it's not nefarious . But I am not positive.

Reactions: Voltopia
It's amazing that anyone who cares about the success of our football team would pile into this thread and whoop it up, trolling and naysaying. Don't participate if you don't want to. Nobody ever said you did. But don't attack and smear and proselytize against our NIL. Just click somewhere else.

It's amazing that anyone who cares about the success of our football team would pile into this thread and whoop it up, trolling and naysaying. Don't participate if you don't want to. Nobody ever said you did. But don't attack and smear and proselytize against our NIL. Just click somewhere else.
When did criticism mean you don’t care?

So having questions is a problem? Lol. You are a naive person

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don't care if other people donate. My issue is the people bought into it don't get to tell people it's only 5 bucks.
I also argue that your tailgates should never happen bc that money should be used for recruits or players not so fans can have a good time. Its how schemes work. I give you a little back then it's like man it's so worth it. For only 5 bucks or 25 bucks I get recruits, a good football team, and tailgating with gear. I mean seems a little too good to be true. Things usually are not what they seem when its too good to be true. I hope you guys change the game for us. But don't tell me how to spend my money.

Rest assured bud...EVERYONE ON VN KNOWS you are not gonna donate to Spyre/ Vol Club...and I mean EVERYONE.

No problem. It is your money...why in the Hell would you post here a dozen times telling everyone that? You do not think we could read the 1st...2nd....5th...or 7th post you have made calling our NIL collective crap? Didnt think you made yourself clear enough with the novel length post you wrote...or the other dozen???

WE GOT IT BUD. LOUD AND CLEAR.

How bout you just run along then and let all the OTHER ADULTS who are perfectly CAPABLE of deciding if $5 bucks a month is gonna bring financial ruin upon their family like apparently it is yours. For the love of God man...I have never, ever, once seen someone on this site post 75 times about something that they are apparently not interested in AT ALL...you made that VERY CLEAR. Do not worry. EVERYONE HERE KNOWS that you will not be donating to keep the bigtime recruits paid to come to UT. We got ya bud. We get it. Find something else to do with your time....please. There are 1,000 other threads here on VN....as well as an entire universe that is not on VN....PLEASE go anywhere except right here posting about something you SURELY do NOT care about.

Wait a minute...do you own a TOSHIBA LAPTOP???? You do. I bet you do. I remember you. The only person in VN history to post 75 times about something they DO NOT want...bought a Toshiba laptop. Had to be you...nobody else here is that ...

Last edited:
Rest assured bud...EVERYONE ON VN KNOWS you are not gonna donate to Spyre/ Vol Club...and I mean EVERYONE.

No problem. It is your money...why in the Hell would you post here a dozen times telling everyone that? You do not think we could read the 1st...2nd....5th...or 7th post you have made calling our NIL collective crap? Didnt think you made yourself vlear enough with the novel length post you wrote...or the other dozen???

WE GOT IT BUD. LOUD AND CLEAR.

How bout you just run along then and let all the OTHER ADULTS who are perfectly CAPABLE of deciding if $5 bucks a month is gonna bring financial ruin upon there family like apparently it is yours. For the love of God man...I have never, ever, once seen someone on this site post 75 times about something that they are apparently not interested in AT ALL...you made that VERY CLEAR. Do not worry. EVERYONE HERE KNOWS that you will not be donating to keep the bigtime recruits paid to come to UT. We got ya bud. We get it. Find something else to do with your time....please. There are 1,000 other threads here on VN....as well as an entire universe that is not on VN....PLEASE go anywhere except right here posting about something you SURELY do NOT care about.

Wait a minute...do you own a TOSHIBA LAPTOP???? You do. I bet you do. I remember you. The only person in VN history to post 75 times about something they DO NOT want...was a Toshiba laptop. Had to be you...nobody else here is that ...
Thanks dad. Guess we should follow you.

A debate on a forum. How silly.

If I tell you all my money goes to charity. Made a video and it said it too. Can I get you to believe that.
But you trust the University to always spend money you donate on things you support? I would think that anyone paying attention to the world for the last 20 years would understand that government bureaucracies protect one another and themselves. I can't tell you Spyre reports are honest, but I can't tell you UTK or State of Tennessee spending reports are any more honest or that the money is better spent.

Reactions: brockytop
Without approving or condeming the particulars, the cancellation language on their website looks like generic copy and paste cancellation language boilerplate I've seen on many other generic site-in-a-box product sales portals. Those exact sentences have been copied and pasted across thousands of websites. As to its enforceability, who can say, but I think it's focused on customers who pick "annual" terms instead of "monthly." I suspect they're saying that if you pick annual and submit it, then you're held to that deal, and there's cancellation fees similar to other yearly subscriptions that come with termination fee language - at least, they want it to appear that way. Similar to cable companies or Planet Fitness or whatever. Which makes sense, since they have to know what they're going to get to budget against what they pay the players, lest they be left holding the bag.

Anyway, you're right to want clarification, but I would bet a jar of Claussen pickles signed by Casey Clausen that they're just saying "if you sign up for an annual deal we're not just gonna let you out of your commitment without early termination fees." Sort of surprised they have month-to-month, but I guess they need it to spin up the customer base. I wonder what the churn is. Anyway.
You are probably correct, but I don't want to have to fight to cancel a subscription, and with the language unclear, I can't commit. I seriously doubt a qualified attorney has approved that language. If so, he's not a good attorney.

Reactions: Voltopia
You are probably correct, but I don't want to have to fight to cancel a subscription, and with the language unclear, I can't commit. I seriously doubt a qualified attorney has approved that language. If so, he's not a good attorney.

I am an attorney. I believe I found the language that you are referring to under "Cancellation or Returns." I interpret that clause for tangible items that they sell in their shop. As for memberships, I would encourage folks to pay monthly because you can find out if you are happy with it or not. Even if that clause applies, the dispute would just be for a one month payment, and you can opt out. There is no signed contract, so you can opt out of at any time.

Full disclosure, I am paying monthly. In fact, they mistakenly double-billed me one month. I sent them an email, and I had a response and credit within a day. The response told me that they take billing very seriously.

But you trust the University to always spend money you donate on things you support? I would think that anyone paying attention to the world for the last 20 years would understand that government bureaucracies protect one another and themselves. I can't tell you Spyre reports are honest, but I can't tell you UTK or State of Tennessee spending reports are any more honest or that the money is better spent.
Yes

Reactions: WillisWG
Wanted to jump in here - Happy to answer any specific questions I can, but first wanted to address some of the things I've seen in this thread.

1. I don't own a boat.
2. We're not here to force anyone to donate. I get if you don't want to donate. People work hard for your money, you should spend it however you see fit. Our goal with the Volunteer Club is to create a fan membership that provided enough benefits that everyone felt like they were getting more than enough return on their membership. We are working all the time to bring new benefits and new membership experiences to try and make sure all our members feel like this is a valuable use of their money.
3. On the ambulance, that was donated by a donor from Columbia TN so that we could drive it around for them and help them potentially sell it. No cost to us.
4. Tailgates - we get a lot of what you see donated or given at discount prices thanks to local business and relationships we've built. We think this is a great benefit for members and loved seeing people form friendships throughout the year at our tailgates. Creating a sense of community amongst Vol fans is one of the goals of the Volunteer Club.
5. Canceling your membership - I hope nobody feels the need, but if you do, canceling is as simple as going into your membership portal, you can go to the billing tab and click cancel at anytime. If you decide you want to resume, you can click resume under the same tab.

Also I don't appreciate the personal attacks using my name or insinuating that anyone on our staff is doing nefarious things with people's money. I'm not asking anyone to buy me or help me buy anything. If you don't want to donate the Volunteer Club, that is absolutely your right to choose. However, please do not insult me or our staff by claiming that we're doing anything illegal.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to reach out via VolNation or you can email me at will@spyresports.com. I am more than happy to talk privately with anyone about any specific issues they have questions about.

Wanted to jump in here - Happy to answer any specific questions I can, but first wanted to address some of the things I've seen in this thread.

1. I don't own a boat.
2. We're not here to force anyone to donate. I get if you don't want to donate. People work hard for your money, you should spend it however you see fit. Our goal with the Volunteer Club is to create a fan membership that provided enough benefits that everyone felt like they were getting more than enough return on their membership. We are working all the time to bring new benefits and new membership experiences to try and make sure all our members feel like this is a valuable use of their money.
3. On the ambulance, that was donated by a donor from Columbia TN so that we could drive it around for them and help them potentially sell it. No cost to us.
4. Tailgates - we get a lot of what you see donated or given at discount prices thanks to local business and relationships we've built. We think this is a great benefit for members and loved seeing people form friendships throughout the year at our tailgates. Creating a sense of community amongst Vol fans is one of the goals of the Volunteer Club.
5. Canceling your membership - I hope nobody feels the need, but if you do, canceling is as simple as going into your membership portal, you can go to the billing tab and click cancel at anytime. If you decide you want to resume, you can click resume under the same tab.

Also I don't appreciate the personal attacks using my name or insinuating that anyone on our staff is doing nefarious things with people's money. I'm not asking anyone to buy me or help me buy anything. If you don't want to donate the Volunteer Club, that is absolutely your right to choose. However, please do not insult me or our staff by claiming that we're doing anything illegal.

If anyone has specific questions, please feel free to reach out via VolNation or you can email me at will@spyresports.com. I am more than happy to talk privately with anyone about any specific issues they have questions about.

Thank you Will for responding. I know on the website there is a buttonto ask questions but I guess it is easier to come on a message board and make all kinds of speculations. Thanks for trying to help the athletes at Tennessee.

1. I don't own a boat.

Thanks Will and your staff for all that you are trying to accomplish. I am very impressed with you all making the most out of the money that you are working with.

I am an attorney. I believe I found the language that you are referring to under "Cancellation or Returns." I interpret that clause for tangible items that they sell in their shop. As for memberships, I would encourage folks to pay monthly because you can find out if you are happy with it or not. Even if that clause applies, the dispute would just be for a one month payment, and you can opt out. There is no signed contract, so you can opt out of at any time.

Full disclosure, I am paying monthly. In fact, they mistakenly double-billed me one month. I sent them an email, and I had a response and credit within a day. The response told me that they take billing very seriously.
I'm not an attorney, but I've written a lot of contracts, read and briefed hundreds. This is a poorly written agreement and needs to be cleaned up.

I'm not an attorney, but I've written a lot of contracts, read and briefed hundreds. This is a poorly written agreement and needs to be cleaned up.

Who is at risk with the current agreement? Never seen a contractual agreement not designed with enough ambiguity to limit one's liability. I would guess this is particularly true with a company entering into a new market place with as little guidance from the SCOTUS on how provide the required NIL opportunities with the variability of state and local laws. I would anticipate the methodologies and documentation with be morphing for a while. It seems you have an open invitation to share any and all concerns with SPYRE and an ability to publicly document your suggestions and their responses in these forums within the limits of the law.

As a fact, NIL is here, and if a university and a fan base wishes to be relevant moving forward, we must participate.

Alabama has been dominant, with Georgia catching up, because coaches were paying recruits/players. Tennessee tried to participate in this scheme with Jeremy Pruitt, having learned from the best (as has Kirby Smart), but Pruitt was simply to stupid (and I do not use that word lightly) to make it work. NIL will slowly erase the behind the scenes paying of players and bring it fully into the open. (There is plenty of peripheral information on Alabama, but I know personally who and how at Alabama and how NIL is changing their internal system)

If we choose to not participate moving forward, then we must accept mediocrity and hope for those once in a generation confluence of the right players and luck to give us that season to look back on while we wallow year by year in mediocrity.

You can choose not to participate, but why criticize and spread inuendo on Spyre? They were the first to step up and emerge as the conduit for making NIL deals relevant to the point of bringing in and keeping the best athletes for our entire athletic department.

Some on here sound like criticizing your local volunteer fire department. Not going to donate to those guys because all they do is dress up and sit on their a$$es all day, buy when your house burns down and they are not there, you are screaming for them at the top of your lungs.

Reactions: Elhanan and SobeVol

1. I don't own a boat.

Well said! So happy to be a member!!!!

James Clawson who is the president of Spyre Sports, said that there is a tailgate planned before the Texas basketball game on Saturday January 28th.

The game starts at 6 p.m. that day.

I watch the Vol Club Confidential podcasts on the Volquest Channel on You Tube and those podcasts are sponsored by Spyre Sports.

Last edited:
So many people talking down NIL in here just like the resistant fans for other teams.

First fan base to get over themselves and literally participate in contract funding wins. So in a few years we’ll start seeing Florida or one of our other rival finally figure it out and we will either be so far ahead they’ll never catch up or still sitting around here complaining about how “unfair” things are or how “it’s all a scam”.

Live by your convictions. If you hate NIL then go out there and make noise. You’ll be damaging our program and helping our rivals but that’s your call.

If you want to see us win go put your money behind it if you can afford it. Personally I’m sick of losing and want to see UT dominate. That takes talent and talent cost money,

1. I don't own a boat.

Thanks for what you’re doing Will. I’m ready to see UT continue the come back!

GBO

VN Store

Back