Thoughts on Tom Brady

cbrown

I neither like nor dislike Tom Brady as a player, but I am looking forward to seeing him have the opportunity to succeed or fail while not being in the favorable situation he’s enjoyed over the last 20 years.

My opinion is that he’s certainly a top-10 QB of all time, but there are a number of others that would likely have had just as much success had they been in the exact same situation and stayed relatively injury-free . . . Manning, Brees, and Marino to name three.

He'll be 43; I think it's kind of silly to use it against him when he's still a starting QB at an unheard of age. That by itself is an accomplishment.

But what's considering "succeeding" in Tampa? Leading them the playoffs? The NFC Championship? Winning the Super Bowl? I have a strong feeling anything less than a Super Bowl victory will have the usual suspects saying it proves he can't win with another team, and if he wins then some sort of response of "OMG of course he won, look at the weapons he had!"

There is no middle ground with Brady. You either love him or intensely dislike him. Granted he is a good QB but I think he is a legend in his own mind. JMO but he wants to keep playing just to bypass any records that any other QB might have made. Sounds like he is a little narcissistic to me.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
I don't care for Brady. But I respect his football chops, that's for damn sure. I think he's one of the greatest to ever play the QB position. If measured by team success, I would say the greatest ever. But if measured by the ability to play the position, I would not. I think he's played for the greatest coach of all time. I also think the Patriot way or culture or whatever you want to call it - all under Belichick - have been helpful as well. And yet all of that is somewhat sullied by the cheating and rumors of cheating along the way. That's what keeps me from calling him the greatest.

That said, if he goes to Tampa Bay and wins a Super Bowl - nay, if he wins the NFC championship - I will say he is the unequivocal GOAT.

I'm looking forward to what he does and hoping the Wuhan bug doesn't interfere.

There is no middle ground with Brady. You either love him or intensely dislike him. Granted he is a good QB but I think he is a legend in his own mind. JMO but he wants to keep playing just to bypass any records that any other QB might have made. Sounds like he is a little narcissistic to me.

He's an NFL legend period. Nothing is going to change that.

And do you feel the same way about Brees?

I neither like nor dislike Tom Brady as a player, but I am looking forward to seeing him have the opportunity to succeed or fail while not being in the favorable situation he’s enjoyed over the last 20 years.

My opinion is that he’s certainly a top-10 QB of all time, but there are a number of others that would likely have had just as much success had they been in the exact same situation and stayed relatively injury-free . . . Manning, Brees, and Marino to name three.
Manning, Brees, and Marino were injury free (except one year here and there). Not as successful.

Manning and Brees had similar situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I think Drew Brees has a bit more left than Tom Brady.
No, I don't feel that way about Brees
I agree that Brees has more left. It just looked like Brees was pretty sharp when he came back from his hand injury last season while Brady has just looked more meh to me. Surrounding personnel though could be biasing me.

I think Drew Brees has a bit more left than Tom Brady.

Well he does have almsot 3 years on Brady. But he also "needs" another ring and honestly he may have missed his window. And we're doing the "QB gets the blame" thing, he's definitely squandered some very favorable years when he had the weapons to win it.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Manning, Brees, and Marino were injury free (except one year here and there). Not as successful.

Manning and Brees had similar situations.

This. Brees especially has not taken advantage of having the goods to win it all. Not that I actually blame him because I think Super Bowl wins are overrated as a personal achivement marker.....but if that game is going to be played then Brees should get more criticism.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
This. Brees especially has not taken advantage of having the goods to win it all. Not that I actually blame him because I think Super Bowl wins are overrated as a personal achivement marker.....but if that game is going to be played then Brees should get more criticism.
They’ve gotten robbed to no fault of Brees

I think you are right about the extremes. Never met anyone who is luke warm about him. No secret my previous posts that I am in the “intensely dislike” him camp. My opinion is that he is grossly overrated because of the teams, coaching and the system he has played in most of his career. I rarely recall him having to make many difficult throws (5 seconds to stand there and throw five yard passes all day). I just don’t think he has the skillset to carry a team like a Patrick Mahomes does. If he somehow makes Tampa Bay a better team perhaps I will start to believe in his abilities more. The real reason I can’t stand him has nothing to do with his ability though. He has always been a whiney little cry baby who pouts when things don’t go his way. He acts like an entitled 5 year old when he plays and he is definitely a legend in his own mind as the poster above suggests. I won’t even mention that I think he’s a liar and a cheat (whoops). I hope he gets hit hard and often in Tampa.

Reactions: feathersax
Say what you want to say...but QB1 for 6 Super Bowl Championships in 9 Super Bowl appearances makes him the GOAT!

Yup. Brady won those 6 SBs all by himself. He clearly carried the incompetent offensive line, defense, kicker and poor coaching for all of those SB wins. Especially the last one. Those 13 points he put on the board were dominating.

I think you are right about the extremes. Never met anyone who is luke warm about him. No secret my previous posts that I am in the “intensely dislike” him camp. My opinion is that he is grossly overrated because of the teams, coaching and the system he has played in most of his career. I rarely recall him having to make many difficult throws (5 seconds to stand there and throw five yard passes all day). I just don’t think he has the skillset to carry a team like a Patrick Mahomes does. If he somehow makes Tampa Bay a better team perhaps I will start to believe in his abilities more. The real reason I can’t stand him has nothing to do with his ability though. He has always been a whiney little cry baby who pouts when things don’t go his way. He acts like an entitled 5 year old when he plays and he is definitely a legend in his own mind as the poster above suggests. I won’t even mention that I think he’s a liar and a cheat (whoops). I hope he gets hit hard and often in Tampa.
You share my sentiments exactly.

He will be playing in the NFC, not AFC. Whole different ball park and if he starts acting like a prima Donna his offensive line might deliberately fold just to let him get hit a few times.

VN Store

Back