Thoughts on Pitt Officiating

They got the important calls right, however, I've never heard "There is no flag for ___________." so much in a game before. They seemed unsure of themselves at times.

I thought they missed a PI on the throw to Tillman.

The offensive PI that was called on our TE was bad. I thought the db came up and initiated contact.

A couple of holding calls were pretty bad.

And, I thought the fumble Wright had, I thought his momentum had stopped and he was going backwards when the ball came out. I don’t know when they blowed the whistle though.

it wasn’t a terribly bad called game though.
The TE PI was called right without a doubt.
Rookie move by a veteran TE.

Reactions: EasternVol
It was better than last year but just seemed odd with the announcers acting like their was gonna be a story book ending and them saying what Pitt needed to do for them to win and it magically happening in the second half. If it happened once then I can say it was a coincidence but it happened several times almost makes me believe....

They missed the one PI and several holds by Pitt as already mentioned, they also could have called us for a couple of late hits but didn't.

Noticed twice they ruled a catch for Pitt, when without a replay it was obvious the receiver had stepped out of bounds. After replay they did rule receiver was out. How does an official miss that kind of call from 10 feet away?

Reactions: mpfvol
That game had some terribly officiated moments. They seemed completely lost on that safety sequence.
It’s just like any other profession.
When I was younger and naive, I thought of people as true professionals.
Now that I’m older and wiser, I realize that those “professionals” are just BS’ng their way through life like the rest of us.

I thought the Pitt reciever ruled out of bounds (heel on white sideline) was in bounds because the other foot was down in bounds.

Felt like we got a gift on that call.
You can't have a foot out of bounds prior to catching the ball though. That was the issue.

I think not calling forward progress on the Wright fumble was ok, but we all know if we were on defense that play would have been whistled dead. In fact, it wasn't long after that where Pitt had a very similar play where the player fumbled in a pile just like Wright did but they had already blown it dead. It's one of those calls that seems to only go against us.

I also remember Banks getting egregiously held on a big Pitt run (may have been a TD, can't remember).

I was impressed they got the Bru McCoy TD exactly right. Hat on the ground indicating he saw McCoy go out but ruled he was forced out and came right back in. But having said that, I'm not sure why they even let Narduzzi challenge it. I didn't think that was reviewable, but maybe I'm wrong?

Overall, really not a bad officiating job in our game. If you told me I could have that level of officiating effort in every game I would take it.

I thought they missed a PI on the throw to Tillman.

The offensive PI that was called on our TE was bad. I thought the db came up and initiated contact.

A couple of holding calls were pretty bad.

And, I thought the fumble Wright had, I thought his momentum had stopped and he was going backwards when the ball came out. I don’t know when they blowed the whistle though.

it wasn’t a terribly bad called game though.

According to the Ole Miss and Music City Bowl refs... Wright's forward progress was stopped...so no fumble ( they said the whistle is not really important in these matters )

According to the Ole Miss and Music City Bowl refs... Wright's forward progress was stopped...so no fumble ( they said the whistle is not really important in these matters )

After these last two years, I am very confused on forward progress / whistles when it comes to ending a play. It never seemed all that subjective to me until last year.

There were several egregious missed holding calls, but that is a common theme. The talking heads say, there's holding every play.
Yes You dont have to call everything But Pitt was holding a lot and false starting a lot. And no flag

Reactions: Halph66
Got to respectively disagree with most here.

On the TD where the Pitt TE jumped over the defender, he was open as the result of a pick set by the slot receiver. No call.

If a receiver is pushed/forced out of bounds while the ball is in the air, shouldn't that be PI?

Pitt's one tackle was came out of his stance before the snap a couple of times in the 2nd half. No call.

Pitt had one penalty in the first half for half a yard, 5 total for 28 yards. Two of Pitt's penalties were dead ball fouls, delay of game and illegal shift. Tennessee was 7 for 70 yards.

There's talk on some Pitt message boards the SEC refs handed the game to TN and a blind fool could see that
This man watch this game closely. He is spot on

Holding calls were an issue at times. Pitt held a lot. The missed INT call just before the blocked punt was very bad. In general Pitt got away with a lot of hands in coverage.
About par I’d say
Missed one really bad holding on a Pitt completion, OL had a hand full of jersey and it was stretched out, couldn't believe they missed that one.

Reactions: sjt18
Go look at the play where B young broke a tackle to set up final FG for the win. #18 for Texas was brutally held right in front of ref. You can see #18 running down the field with his shoulder pad still jacked up. Might not have made a difference but that was a Hugh missed call
Egregious non holding call there, was BLATANT

Here’s where the rules get a little screwy. So for instance, say a referee deems that a player’s forward progress has stopped. By the rule book, there cannot be a review to determine if the player’s forward progress was actually stopped or not since it is a judgement call. On the other hand, let’s take Saturday’s play on the Bru McCoy TD for example. The referee nearest the play knew Bru stepped out of bounds (tossed his hat down) and did not throw a flag. Therefore, he thought Bru was forced out of bounds. IMO that is a judgement call. How can that play be reviewed?

Another thing about the Bru McCoy TD play. There should have been a flag regardless on the play. If you deem Bru went out of bounds on his own, there would be a flag for illegal touching. If you think he was forced out of bounds, the ball is in the air and therefore should be PI. Common sense but we all know sense isn’t too common among college officiating.

Here’s where the rules get a little screwy. So for instance, say a referee deems that a player’s forward progress has stopped. By the rule book, there cannot be a review to determine if the player’s forward progress was actually stopped or not since it is a judgement call. On the other hand, let’s take Saturday’s play on the Bru McCoy TD for example. The referee nearest the play knew Bru stepped out of bounds (tossed his hat down) and did not throw a flag. Therefore, he thought Bru was forced out of bounds. IMO that is a judgement call. How can that play be reviewed?

Another thing about the Bru McCoy TD play. There should have been a flag regardless on the play. If you deem Bru went out of bounds on his own, there would be a flag for illegal touching. If you think he was forced out of bounds, the ball is in the air and therefore should be PI. Common sense but we all know sense isn’t too common among college officiating.

It's a non-reviewable play. They can check to see if someone went out of bounds if they made no ruling on it during the play. Since the official made a ruling that the contact was sufficient to force him out, it was no longer reviewable. No idea why they reviewed it. The should have told Narducci it wasn't reviewable and took the timeout. Of course somehow he didn't see the clear contact or wouldn't admit it when it was clear he was wrong.

I thought the Pitt reciever ruled out of bounds (heel on white sideline) was in bounds because the other foot was down in bounds.

Felt like we got a gift on that call.

Not when he caught it. The back foot was out so that voids any foot in.

The officials were trying to help Pitt with phantom holding calls like the one on the Hendon Hooker touchdown run.

VN Store

Back