Thoughts on Olivier Nkamhoua?

You really won't have a good mix if 9 or 10 players all think that they should be getting to start and play 35 minutes (or at least can't accept it). It's never a bad idea to have projects down the bench that will be around for 4 or 5 years. Especially if they're close to 7' tall.

You really won't have a good mix if 9 or 10 players all think that they should be getting to start and play 35 minutes (or at least can't accept it). It's never a bad idea to have projects down the bench that will be around for 4 or 5 years. Especially if they're close to 7' tall.
This has always been my philosophy because you really can only play 10 guys max so you need at least three guys to ride the pine/being developed/redshirting. A great team won't function well with 13 guys that think they should be starting.

Agree. They need to work in getting 7 minutes out of Plavisc.

Pember is definitely a redshirt.
Gaines is likely just for lack of girth.
ORN is physically ready so I don’t see him getting a RS, plus they are in on some good bigs. Still, he’s basically a lot like Anosike.

I see Fulk, Anosike, and Pons getting the vast majority of minutes with Plavisc and ORN providing breathers. The wild card is Walker. Is he a post player or swing forward? The issue is you already have Pons and JJJ who are the same type. I see JJJ being groomed for that role this year since they lose Pons next year. As I said from the start, he isn’t a PG.

I think we can and will go 10 deep this year.

Starters are Vescovi, Johnson or Springer, JJJ, Pons, Fulk
Bench is Bailey, Springer/Johnson, Walker, Anosike, and either Nkamhoua or Uros.

I firmly believe Walker can play the 3, particularly off the bench, and he might start at the 4 the following year. I'm sure the early games will settle the Nkamhoua/ Uros battle for the backup 5. Not enough minutes for both.

I still think Pember can help us long term, but he needs to redshirt this year. Same with Gaines, just focus on getting bigger and stronger. I'm really high on Gaines, he could have a Matisse Thybulle type impact on defense.

Reactions: rdsevans
I didn’t expect a ton from Uros. Was just hoping for a good rebounder and defender/shot blocker but was underwhelmed to say the least. Given his age and time in college I wonder how much he can actually improve. I think ORN has more upside based on that. Fortunately shouldn’t need him to do a whole lot this year but some minutes should help w his development

I didn’t expect a ton from Uros. Was just hoping for a good rebounder and defender/shot blocker but was underwhelmed to say the least. Given his age and time in college I wonder how much he can actually improve. I think ORN has more upside based on that. Fortunately shouldn’t need him to do a whole lot this year but some minutes should help w his development
Uros is currently just a big body. Being big worked up until this point in his career. Now he is going to have to learn to use his size and strength. Barnes did help turn Fulkerson from terrible to All-SEC. I don't think Uros will be that good necessarily, but I think he will get better. Nkamhou definitely has more potential, but I think Uros can be serviceable in time.

Uros is currently just a big body. Being big worked up until this point in his career. Now he is going to have to learn to use his size and strength. Barnes did help turn Fulkerson from terrible to All-SEC. I don't think Uros will be that good necessarily, but I think he will get better. Nkamhou definitely has more potential, but I think Uros can be serviceable in time.
Yeah fortunately he still has a lot of eligibility

If Nkamhoub and Plavsic will just worry about defense and rebounding first, any scoring they provide will be gravy.

I thought CRB's teams at Clemson and Texas led their leagues in rebounding one or two seasons.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion Fulkerson was "terrible"...it definitely could not have been based on his freshman season before his injury

Yeah, it's hard to say he was transformed, after the way he started during his freshman season. If you just go by "after injury," then yes, but I'm not sure that would be totally accurate. I think the main thing was for him to get his conditioning and confidence back.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion Fulkerson was "terrible"...it definitely could not have been based on his freshman season before his injury
Might have been the season he averaged 1.7 points post injury. Clearly he had a reason for being bad, but that doesn't mean he wasn't bad. His true freshmen year was okay least, but we have no idea what would've happened in SEC play with his role and scoring, etc. But you're right, he was far from terrible that year, but he also didn't look like he'd become a number one option either.

Yeah, it's hard to say he was transformed, after the way he started during his freshman season. If you just go by "after injury," then yes, but I'm not sure that would be totally accurate. I think the main thing was for him to get his conditioning and confidence back.
Post injury was terrible, injury played a major part, but doesn't mean he wasn't bad. True freshman year was decent, but he certainly didn't look like he turned into the first option on offense and an All Sec guy.

Might have been the season he averaged 1.7 points post injury. Clearly he had a reason for being bad, but that doesn't mean he wasn't bad. His true freshmen year was okay least, but we have no idea what would've happened in SEC play with his role and scoring, etc. But you're right, he was far from terrible that year, but he also didn't look like he'd become a number one option either.

Agreed...he clearly struggled to find his role once he returned and, by that time, Grant was "the man". Having said that, quite a few thought he would be the star of that class and not Grant especially given his games against GT and UNC his freshman season.

Reactions: rdk4121
Post injury was terrible, injury played a major part, but doesn't mean he wasn't bad. True freshman year was decent, but he certainly didn't look like he turned into the first option on offense and an All Sec guy.

Fulky was never as bad as uros was last year. Fulky, even in his bad years, was a contributor due to his energy and athleticism. Uros just wasn’t any of that last year

Fulky was never as bad as uros was last year. Fulky, even in his bad years, was a contributor due to his energy and athleticism. Uros just wasn’t any of that last year
No one claimed Uros was better, but it was certainly close. Uros had that one good game. He had to be kind of thrown in there most of the way through a season as well. He was really bad, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to say who is worse. Barnes can help make him better as well though.

No one claimed Uros was better, but it was certainly close. Uros had that one good game. He had to be kind of thrown in there most of the way through a season as well. He was really bad, don't get me wrong, but it's hard to say who is worse. Barnes can help make him better as well though.

I would disagree that it’s reasonable to say those two were “certainly close” in their bad years

Fulky was in the rotation on a great team and uros wasn’t on a very average one.

I would disagree that it’s reasonable to say those two were “certainly close” in their bad years

Fulky was in the rotation on a great team and uros wasn’t on a very average one.
Again not hardly fair as one played the whole season, and one played only in the toughest part of our schedule. He didn't have those bad teams at the beginning to develop any confidence or rhythm, gain any experience. Those were also his first college games, where Fulkerson had 11 games as a freshman to get his feet wet. I'm not defending uros, cause he was atrocious last year, but Fulky was pretty bad his year as well.

Again not hardly fair as one played the whole season, and one played only in the toughest part of our schedule. He didn't have those bad teams at the beginning to develop any confidence or rhythm, gain any experience. Those were also his first college games, where Fulkerson had 11 games as a freshman to get his feet wet. I'm not defending uros, cause he was atrocious last year, but Fulky was pretty bad his year as well.

Yea I agree with that but those are all reasons why they weren’t close in comparison if you want to find a reason other than talent. I hope those are the reasons but imo the talent level is the real reason. I just don’t think uros is nearly athletic enough to ever help us in anything more than a big man depth role player type of way

26 minutes 16 points in his 6th game, it took Fulky 83 games to break 16 points. I’m not trying to say Uros was better, but Uros did that against a very good Mississippi State front court, that gives some hope imo.

Reactions: cardvolfan
26 minutes 16 points in his 6th game, it took Fulky 83 games to break 16 points. I’m not trying to say Uros was better, but Uros did that against a very good Mississippi State front court, that gives some hope imo.
One blow out game where the intensity wasn’t there at all the 2nd half.

And also fully wasn’t asked to ever be a scorer on those teams

The number one thing I think we can all agree on is that CRB absolutely maximizes the potential of players when he has them 2+years. He takes average players and turns them into great college basketball players.

I cant wait to see the development of our team with a handful of young blue chippers.

Agree. They need to work in getting 7 minutes out of Plavisc.

Pember is definitely a redshirt.
Gaines is likely just for lack of girth.
ORN is physically ready so I don’t see him getting a RS, plus they are in on some good bigs. Still, he’s basically a lot like Anosike.

I see Fulk, Anosike, and Pons getting the vast majority of minutes with Plavisc and ORN providing breathers. The wild card is Walker. Is he a post player or swing forward? The issue is you already have Pons and JJJ who are the same type. I see JJJ being groomed for that role this year since they lose Pons next year. As I said from the start, he isn’t a PG.

Pember and Gaines redshirting would be huge and I love the idea. Having Bailey this season should allow Gaines that chance, especially if he's as good as reported (above average ball handler, good defender, and excellent 3 pt shooter)...

I hope Pember is able to develop his game into a guy that is versatile enough where he can back down a 3 defender and pull up on a 4 defender. (Wiltjer from KY/Gonzaga a few years ago type player). Having someone like Fulky to show him what it means to play with effort for two years will pay dividends.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Pember and Gaines redshirting would be huge and I love the idea. Having Bailey this season should allow Gaines that chance, especially if he's as good as reported (above average ball handler, good defender, and excellent 3 pt shooter)...

I hope Pember is able to develop his game into a guy that is versatile enough where he can back down a 3 defender and pull up on a 4 defender. (Wiltjer from KY/Gonzaga a few years ago type player). Having someone like Fulky to show him what it means to play with effort for two years will pay dividends.
Pember isnt a post. He’s nothing like Fulk. Sure he’s y’all, but he isn’t a post. He’s definitely redshirting. I can’t see any situation where he plays. It’s appears Pember is trimming down from the reports.

Pember isnt a post. He’s nothing like Fulk. Sure he’s y’all, but he isn’t a post. He’s definitely redshirting. I can’t see any situation where he plays. It’s appears Pember is trimming down from the reports.

I agreed that I hope he redshirts and I don't think I ever said he was a post. I will say though, his eventual role on the team will be to pose a matchup problem against smaller 3's and less athletic 4's, so to me it doesn't matter what position he's listed as.... I only said I hoped he learned to play with the same effort Fulky plays with (I know the same can be said about everyone).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back