Thoughts on Dooley

Dooley really hasn't tinkered with the well oiled machine that Josh Heupal (UCF) left him. He said the only changes he made was more runs to balance it out.

Let's see what he does next year without his star QB, TE, and at least 1 WR (Hall). I'm guessing that at least Roundtree will declare early too (RBs have a short shelf life and need to get to the NFL ASAP).

You can pretend that Dooley hasn't made any changes to Missouri's offense if it makes you feel better about the fact that we are 11 games into the season, and our Pruitt-coached defense still can't tackle properly, but Drew Lock would disagree without about this not being a new offensive system that he's had to learn:

“It’s more complicated of an offense, but I’d say in a way it’s easier,” Lock said after Tuesday’s spring practice. “It was more guessing games last year on what I thought receivers were going to run. This year, I have it set in stone on what they’re going to do every single play. It just makes me a lot more comfortable back there because I know exactly what’s going on.” For Lock, an easier offense doesn’t mean there’s less to learn. Just the opposite.“There’s going to be a lot more plays,” he said. “We’re in a lot more formations, so I’m seeing looks that I’ve never seen today.”

Dooley had a game anyone could have with a top QB and the time to take a nap before you have to make a play. Second anytime your making 6 yards on first down runs it starts getting easy to look good. We've tried running on first and second down this year same plays they run yet we get like a yard and they get a first or third and 1. I think Dooley has some football knowledge but you can look good or bad depending on your opponent. If they stuff your running game and smack your QB around the play calling doesn't look quite so good.

Not just a top QB, a veteran OL, 2 potential NFL caliber RBs, a top 5 TE, perhaps two NFL caliber WRs including a Top 7 WR IMO (higher without the drops).

I like Dooley but he’s not head coach material. He has a sharp eye for talented WR’s.

Had we had a solid defense during his time he would have last a while until the sharp decline in lineman coach tip to us. I have no clue why we stopped recruiting stuff lineman.

Remember Dooley was truly brought here to keep us off major probation after Kiffen and his shady recruiting tactics.

The past is the past.

Let’s hope Pruitt finds success and finds it fast.

This defense has made the Vandy OC look great last two yrs and will again Sat night. And no one has offered him a better job yet. Think about that!

He ain’t his daddy, but no ill will towards him.

That is the way I feel...Derek is a nice guy.

I like Derek.

With that said, history shows that he isn't much of a football coach over the long term. We will see how he does in the future...

Reactions: davethevol
Drew Lock embarrassed us. Dooley called a good game.

This. Just like Dobbs made Butch look good, Lock is the type of QB that can cover an OC's weaknesses. The true test for Dooley will be how they do when he doesn't have Lock.

Dooley really hasn't tinkered with the well oiled machine that Josh Heupal (UCF) left him. He said the only changes he made was more runs to balance it out.

That’s a common & understandable misconception. The Hype-L O was fairly basic/cookie cutter in a way & relied way too heavily (much more than most) on pre-snap reads. Almost like a flow chart...”if DB Is doing ABC...you do XYZ.” It also cut off half the field which was fine for OOC teams but got exposed heavily in conference (& resulted in weekely meltdowns against decent teams). Drew didn’t even have progressions the last two years. That’s why he waited to see who was coming in to be the OC prior to making his NFL decision. He also was fairly selfish & exposed our D far too often. He’s in love with tempo waaay too much & it was a detriment against teams with a pulse. Hurry up/fast tempo is great when it’s a change of pace. Doing it the entire game sets a pattern & is far less effective imo.

Now, I don’t think DD is necessarily some QB whisperer but his time in Dallas prepared him well for his current role. That’s not to say the prior offense was trashed & he started over from scratch. He’s kept some positive elements from prior years & to his credit, sat down with Drew to take an inventory of what he liked/didn’t like from both his HS experience & the past few years. DD asked him what he likes from other teams (both NFL & CFB) & has incorporated it into his O.

(this is way longer than I expected it to be when starting out - probably not for everyone)

Dooley complained of the foul odor emanating from what he described as "unwashed bodies" during his return to Neyland. According to Dooley: "I encountered a foulness in the air which caused my nostrils to flare in revulsion and horror." "I quickly found myself gasping and praying to the eternal Father that He would render cases of soap to fall from the skies like manna, so that cleanliness would render the obnoxious decay somewhat less mortifying upon my very senses."

Other than that, his Missouri offense pounded the living daylights out of us Sat afternoon. Lock had at least 2 TD passes dropped by his receivers, who he had been hitting with pinpoint accuracy all day. We knew he was good, but like so many good qbs we play, he appeared to be better than Tom Brady at his absolute prime.

Reactions: TXStiger
That Dooley picture always makes me think of Mike Dukakis.

Attachments

• F65CF3AD-0ECB-41EB-A8EA-6E2FE3E860CD.jpeg
    F65CF3AD-0ECB-41EB-A8EA-6E2FE3E860CD.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4B53AB44-50B0-4398-9E1B-BE38D479FD0E.jpeg
    4B53AB44-50B0-4398-9E1B-BE38D479FD0E.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 1
Drew Lock embarrassed us. Dooley called a good game.
I still feel like Drew is one to the two best QB’s in the SEC. And I think he showed that last night. As far as DD I’m not sure what I think overall but he’s obviously got his offense rolling and for that he deserves credit. The people I know who know DD say he can be arrogant and self serving but I don’t know him personally so that’s second hand info. I wish him no ill will though.

Dooley was not ready to be head coach in the SEC, but we were lucky to get him right after Kiffin left us like we were a $ 20 hooker.

Reactions: davethevol
He was a prick in general that got handed a job a few years ago he had no business being talked to about.

Other that. Not much.

Dooley complained of the foul odor emanating from what he described as "unwashed bodies" during his return to Neyland. According to Dooley: "I encountered a foulness in the air which caused my nostrils to flare in revulsion and horror." "I quickly found myself gasping and praying to the eternal Father that He would render cases of soap to fall from the skies like manna, so that cleanliness would render the obnoxious decay somewhat less mortifying upon my very senses."

Other than that, his Missouri offense pounded the living daylights out of us Sat afternoon. Lock had at least 2 TD passes dropped by his receivers, who he had been hitting with pinpoint accuracy all day. We knew he was good, but like so many good qbs we play, he appeared to be better than Tom Brady at his absolute prime.

I cannot imagine what was going through your minds after the shower camp. Obviously, I thought it was hilarious but that’s probably something he should’ve kept in house. I don’t think he did himself any favors with that one.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
Dooley is a failure at all aspects of being a head coach.
Relationships
Recruiting
Team building and respect
Defensive hires and so on.

Take all that away and I never had a problem with his offensive scheming. He failed miserably as a hc and probably would again but will most likely be successful as an offensive game planner/ play caller.
I think he called a good game yesterday. But we’ll find out about him as an OC next year without DL. He inherited what is now the 2nd leading passer in the history of the SEC.

I think he called a good game yesterday. But we’ll find out about him as an OC next year without DL. He inherited what is now the 2nd leading passer in the history of the SEC.
Next year will be a huge swing in the opposite direction. Not just with Drew leaving but a ton of seniors. They *should take a decent step backwards next year.

I think Lock is better than Grier. LOck put every throw where it needed to be. And he really made it look easy.

VN Store

Back