Thoughts on Dooley

PowerT4me

I'm not really surprised by Mizzou's offensive success last night. DD's offenses were always pretty solid when he coached here. His problem was on the defensive side of the ball. The departure of Justin Wilcox and the hiring of Sal Sunseri was what did him in. Any thoughts on this?

Honestly when I think of Dooley this is usually the only thing that pops up in my mind

070615-CFB-Tennessee--Derek-Dooley-4-IA-ssm.jpg
e9e3w6xlgf101.jpg

his shower discipline was his downfall...well, you do have a point, but hard to dwell on the past now...I'll just say congrats to the Tiger staff and players...they had the personnel and a good gameplan that beat us like a drum...and, with that...

GO VOLS...BEAT VANDY!

Dooley is a failure at all aspects of being a head coach.
Relationships
Recruiting
Team building and respect
Defensive hires and so on.

Take all that away and I never had a problem with his offensive scheming. He failed miserably as a hc and probably would again but will most likely be successful as an offensive game planner/ play caller.

He represents to worst era of TN football imo. For all of Butch's faults at least he owned quality Big 10 teams in bowl games and got a victory against Florida. Dooley did jack s**t and constantly embarrassed us in the process
Butch was pretty embarrassing and vastly under performed with the talent he had in place. At the end of the day both are no more than MAC level head coaches.

Mizzou, with many of the same players, ran up and down the field on the Vols the two yrs before Dooley showed up. Why do people think he made a difference? His offense also had 8 straight 3 & outs vs Ky at home! How is that good coaching?

Reactions: savannahfan
I try not to think about him at all!!! With the advantages The Mo. TEAM had over out team, Dooley had little or no effect that differed from the last year or two.
Forget him.......

It is what it is. Dooley has a first round draft pick QB and a solid OL. Both of which he had nothing to do with getting there. Here Derrick, take the keys to this Mercedes and have a spin around the block. There are a couple of freshmen cornerbacks over there in Knoxville, see what you can do.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Dooley really hasn't tinkered with the well oiled machine that Josh Heupal (UCF) left him. He said the only changes he made was more runs to balance it out.

Let's see what he does next year without his star QB, TE, and at least 1 WR (Hall). I'm guessing that at least Roundtree will declare early too (RBs have a short shelf life and need to get to the NFL ASAP).

Reactions: dduncan4163
DD took over a good O that was built and trained long before he got there.

He did nothing but to add in some more running plays.

Even his best friend, HC of the Cowgirls, chased him out of Dallass.

5 years was enough of DD in Dallass.

DD sucks and always will but he's gotten rich off of football.

Smooth talking lawyer always seems to find a job.

VFL...GBO!!!

Dooley is a failure at all aspects of being a head coach.
Relationships
Recruiting
Team building and respect
Defensive hires and so on.

Take all that away and I never had a problem with his offensive scheming. He failed miserably as a hc and probably would again but will most likely be successful as an offensive game planner/ play caller.

This is spot-on.

Dooley was a better strategist and position coach than a "CEO". He was great with WRs and his offenses were pretty good when he was here. Never could deal with the relationship aspect, motivating players, hiring, and all the "big picture" stuff that's part of being a Head Coach. I'm not surprised he's a much better OC than HC.

The bottom line is that Dooley came to UT after UT was "left at the alter" by Lame. Yes, he had a good pedigree. He was born with a silver/gold spoon in his mouth - and that fact bore out in adult years. He had terrible relations with HS coaches in TN; was arrogant with his players and admin; emphasized some of the more peculiar aspects of football (shower etiquette); threw his players under the bus after a loss ("...we're just not a very good football team..."); had coaching turnover; displayed the most incredibly poor game-day management I've ever seen (remember last 45 seconds of MZ game when he let the game clock expire - all the while having NFL players at QB, RB, TE and WR? Game went to OT and UT lost); and lastly he came from a school that is normally scheduled as homecoming opponent (victim) at many SEC schools and thus brought no "street-cred" or experience with him which led to a lack of trust initially with fans. The orange pants and water-skiing accident / crutches added jet fuel to the fire.

However, that was a while ago. People learn. People change. His offense, executed like a first-rounder in his QB play, trucked us for all they were worth. I knew this would happen when I saw the result of their game vs. UF and that of UT's game. This was almost always going to be a "L".

Next year for Dooley will tell the real story.

Dooley had a game anyone could have with a top QB and the time to take a nap before you have to make a play. Second anytime your making 6 yards on first down runs it starts getting easy to look good. We've tried running on first and second down this year same plays they run yet we get like a yard and they get a first or third and 1. I think Dooley has some football knowledge but you can look good or bad depending on your opponent. If they stuff your running game and smack your QB around the play calling doesn't look quite so good.

VN Store

Back