Thoughts on Bryan McClendon?

Yes, that is a good thing.

If we succeed, and someone wants our assistant coaches, then we are typically doing good things.

Like WKU stealing Helton after our great year. Oh wait...... n/m.

I would absolutely love this hire. A great recruiter, play calling experience in the SEC, just carved up maybe the best defense in the country. I’d be thrilled with him

A definite consideration, but an offer would probably just get him a raise at SC. With the rebuild at UT it would probably take him a couple of years just to get what he already has at SC.

Excellent recruiter.

Would have been on staff already had Champ not promoted him.

Some concerns on how much he is actually doing as the OC. While the recruiting angle is great we need a legit OC first.

He would have been great on the initial staff IMO. And he may be a good OC but I see him as more risky at a time where you cant be looking for another OC in year 3 or 4.

He would have been great on the initial staff IMO. And he may be a good OC but I see him as more risky at a time where you cant be looking for another OC in year 3 or 4.

Eh ... while not the ideal scenario, I don't see having to look for another OC in 3 or 4 more years as that costly. In 1 or 2 years then yes I agree. I am however of this opinion only if he and Pruitt and co are the recruiters we think and hope they are and they build the talent of the roster by heaps and bounds.

Eh ... while not the ideal scenario, I don't see having to look for another OC in 3 or 4 more years as that costly. In 1 or 2 years then yes I agree. I am however of this opinion only if he and Pruitt and co are the recruiters we think and hope they are and they build the talent of the roster by heaps and bounds.
Recruiting is most definitely a perk but knowing he can manage the entire offense and play call is a massive job that needs to be done well even with the talent.

Recruiting is most definitely a perk but knowing he can manage the entire offense and play call is a massive job that needs to be done well even with the talent.

Agree totally. I was more trying to convey that a new OC in 3 or 4 more years would not be an end all if BM, JP and the rest recruit the elite talent successfully and abundantly. Would make any new OCs job tremendously easier from the get go and make the job way more attractive to the best candidates.

Agree totally. I was more trying to convey that a new OC in 3 or 4 more years would not be an end all if BM, JP and the rest recruit the elite talent successfully and abundantly. Would make any new OCs job tremendously easier from the get go and make the job way more attractive to the best candidates.
If he made it 4 years and was hired away to the NFL or a head gig because hes legit, I totally agree.

I think it's worth an interview. I'm not sure he would be willing since USCe is in a better position than UT in SEC right now. How tight is he with Muschamp? Both played at UGA. JMO, I think this one is probably not in play at the end of the day.

Would be a big help on the recruiting trail. Id take him in a heart beat

It's a bit sad that it's come to that, but given recent history right now that scenario sounds pretty darn appealing to me.

Losing coaches because they are really good and someone wants to promote them beats the alternative.

If hes here 2 years and your needing him to leave you got problems.

When Muschamp turned us down he said we should look at Dooley, so I'm not sure he is a good coach critiquer

Reactions: DC_Vol
Dooley got "fired" away from UT. Not hired.

And he went from HC to Dez Bryant cussings.
LOL Yeah I know fired vs hired away but He almost made it 4 years? Just saying because the guy was an epic failure as a HC and /or his offensive scheme and yet a "good" NFL team saw fit to hire him to coach receivers and then back as an OC for an SEC team. As much as I hate the example, Lane got fired and was the OC the next day in Alabama so I don't think it has as much to do with success as it does with hiring managers "recognizing" hidden talent regardless of the past results or success. I think Chaney would be a good example too. Unfortunately I cant recall any UT coaches that were soooo good that we had to worry about it but I'm with you it would be nice problem to have... kind-of like Saban's last two DCs are coaching their own teams now so Saban says next man up.

His name has seemingly fallen off the radar. Has this ship sailed?

I feel like what’s happened is Pruitt only seriously talked to Freeze and Lindsay. He was waiting on the Freeze deal to get done, but someone wouldn’t allow the hire, Chip in the meantime just went ahead to Kansas. Now I feel like Pruitt has to be frustrated as he’s learning why this program has been a dumpster fire for a decade. Poor guy is probably back at square one. Let’s see if BC pops back up in discussions.

VN Store

Back