This year's final NCAA rankings offense . Tennessee Vols basketball

This. As I watch other teams left in the tournament, I see a lot of high ball screens and open 3’s. With Tenn., all we did was pass the ball around the perimeter and then drive inside the arc to shoot a contested 15 ft. Shot 70% of the time. Maybe that’s because we didn’t have a post player to go to and No pg. However, I still am baffled by the lack of screens we actually set to try and get shooters open from behind the arc
It's easy to say this from the couch, but I think I would've started a lot of sets with a JJJ or Pons screen up high in the small lineups and get Springer or Keon rolling downhill. They're both good on the drive and then if they hit that hard, surely JJJ is a good enough playmaker to take advantage of a semi empty lane. Barnes needs to phase the big up top with no threat of shooting this year. It kills our space if the D doesn't have to respect it. Barnes needs a post scorer to run what he wants to run.

Yep, no one complained about the system when Schofield, Turner, and Bowden were making it rain.
Counter argument... I remember wanting Grant and Admiral to pull much more from 3 than they did. Both were capable shooters. I think Barnes preaches too much about getting a quality shot and coaches a little fear of shooting into people if that makes sense.

Counter argument... I remember wanting Grant and Admiral to pull much more from 3 than they did. Both were capable shooters. I think Barnes preaches too much about getting a quality shot and coaches a little fear of shooting into people if that makes sense.

Barnes doesn’t value the three point shot much at all. It’s been that way his entire career.

Reactions: 1985Vols and b_gann
One of Barnes’s most frequent criticisms about this team was that they passed up too many shots

One of Barnes’s most frequent criticisms about this team was that they passed up too many shots
Definitely some passive guys on this team (JJJ, Fulk, etc) but I just clearly remember wanting Grant and Admiral to pull a little more from 3 during their time here.

Numbers don’t lie

Final Tennessee offensive statistics ranking NCAA:
Scoring offensive- 139
Field goal percentage-160
Offensive rebounds- 104
3 point percentage- 174

They can. When teams work really hard on the defensive end that will translate to fewer possessions and therefore less scoring offense, fewer shots taken and therefore fewer opportunities to grab offensive rebounds.

At this point there are only 3 types of people defending the offense: sunshine pumpers, those that are clueless about the game, or a combination of 1 and 2. There isn't any other logical explanation.

Reactions: 1985Vols and Tnphil

VN Store

Back