Offensive rebounds- 104
3 point percentage- 174

Reactions: brockytop
Final Tennessee offensive statistics ranking NCAA:
Scoring offensive- 139
Field goal percentage-160
Offensive rebounds- 104
3 point percentage- 174

Curious about the stats. This shows 3 point percentage at 202. Yours regular season only?

1616421579758.png

To be honest, I expected worse. This was truly an outdated and anemic offense. It will be interesting to see if/how Barnes makes changes to the gameplan this offseason. Times are changing. He needs to change with them.

It’s not an outdated offense. It lacks players who can put the ball in the basket.

Hate to say it, but I think Barnes may have reached the peak of his coaching abilities with the Grant Williams/Admiral Schofield roster in pretty much the same way that Fulmer reached his peak with that '98 championship team. When I look at Rick lately, I don't see the fire-in-the belly drive that's pretty much required of a head coach nowadays if he has any chance of taking his team to the pinnacle of their abilities. For the money Barne$ is being paid now, he should be putting a hell of a better product on the table.

Last edited:
It’s not an outdated offense. It lacks players who can put the ball in the basket.

If you look around CBB, heck if you just watch this tournament only, there are a lot of innovative offenses out there. Outdated offenses can work if they have players as you said, but it's undeniable that he is running an offense stuck in the past rather than changing with the game.

If you look around CBB, heck if you just watch this tournament only, there are a lot of innovative offenses out there. Outdated offenses can work if they have players as you said, but it's undeniable that he is running an offense stuck in the past rather than changing with the game.

Can you give us some facts?

If you look at Calipari, his offense is dull and outdated also.

However, if you have the players who can score consistently, it can work.

Having no true PG or a consistent shooter killed us.

Reactions: Vol4life2 and EZE
Got to have some inside game and baskets. Both from a big and some from a driving guard. That brings up %'s, opens up 3 pt shots. Most here and on the coaching staff were very happy first third of season when we had at least bigs scoring closer to basket. Why it stopped? Better competition? D's learned how to take Fulky out of his game ending with the ultimate take out?

Reactions: EZE
To be honest, I expected worse. This was truly an outdated and anemic offense. It will be interesting to see if/how Barnes makes changes to the gameplan this offseason. Times are changing. He needs to change with them.
We shot so many contested Mid Range J's. It was almost unreal to watch in 2021. We need a lot more high pick and roll. Plus more athletes across the board.

Whoever says the offense isn't outdated, when against Oregon State did it generate easy/good shots? You know, what an offense is supposed to do every now and then.

Whoever says the offense isn't outdated, when against Oregon State did it generate easy/good shots? You know, what an offense is supposed to do every now and then.
They packed it in and just dared us/basically let us shoot it all we wanted. We are a terrible shooting team. We need shooters

They packed it in and just dared us/basically let us shoot it all we wanted. We are a terrible shooting team. We need shooters
Yep, no one complained about the system when Schofield, Turner, and Bowden were making it rain.

This was a guard-loaded team. Not a formidable front court. And we ranked 201st in 3pt%
This pretty much sums it up. Everybody’s disappointed based on expectations, but if you factor in the expectations vs production for Fulky/Pons/Anosike/Walker combined with inconsistent shooting, then it’s pretty easy to see why we struggled. It doesn’t mean we need to blow up everything offensively, we just need different pieces. Scheme wasn’t going to matter a whole lot with the deficiencies we had on this team.

Reactions: I4Vols and VolGee4
If you look at Calipari, his offense is dull and outdated also.

However, if you have the players who can score consistently, it can work.

Having no true PG or a consistent shooter killed us.

What's ironic about this post is that Cal implemented the dribble-drive near the end of his time at Memphis. I think he's had it the entire time at UK. I am pretty sure it was stated that Barnes went to more dribble-drive concepts midway through this year to get Springer and Johnson more looks.

Reactions: GBOx2
Yep, no one complained about the system when Schofield, Turner, and Bowden were making it rain.

I have copied a link that tries to apply Barnes' offense from Grant, Schofield, and Bone to this year's team. Did not work out as hoped this year, but the videos are like night and day.

Schofield's 3 to beat Gonzaga was a pick and pop. But it does show you how valuable Bone was off the dribble and Grant was by sealing inside, along with Schofield's shooting ability. I hope Chandler can be a Bone type next year. We have no PG that is skilled enough or aggressive enough like Bone was to open it up.

Tennessee Vols Basketball: A look at some basics of Rick Barnes offense - Rocky Top Talk

Reactions: golfballs

I don't know how you want to define easy shots, but we had open threes that we did not make. Without Fulkerson, we weren't going to get any post shots, so we had to hit some outside ones.

Reactions: wmcovol
Need to get a coach to play this fun up tempo style .. guys shooting 3's and rebounding misses .. these guys look to have fun playing.. our guys looked in pain trying to play Barnes style .. you know I'd respect the man more if he took a little blame now and then ...

Reactions: 1985Vols and Tnphil
We shot so many contested Mid Range J's. It was almost unreal to watch in 2021. We need a lot more high pick and roll. Plus more athletes across the board.
This. As I watch other teams left in the tournament, I see a lot of high ball screens and open 3’s. With Tenn., all we did was pass the ball around the perimeter and then drive inside the arc to shoot a contested 15 ft. Shot 70% of the time. Maybe that’s because we didn’t have a post player to go to and No pg. However, I still am baffled by the lack of screens we actually set to try and get shooters open from behind the arc

This. As I watch other teams left in the tournament, I see a lot of high ball screens and open 3’s. With Tenn., all we did was pass the ball around the perimeter and then drive inside the arc to shoot a contested 15 ft. Shot 70% of the time. Maybe that’s because we didn’t have a post player to go to and No pg. However, I still am baffled by the lack of screens we actually set to try and get shooters open from behind the arc

Oh look, another fabrication from @1985Vols

VN Store

Back