This year vs. last year

Zay is a star. If she was playing, she would've been the leading scorer.

Doubt she would have lead this team in scoring but i do think she would have been that reliable second option that made us that much tougher.

Defenses wouldn’t be able to focus in on Rennia so much and I think we would press a little more. I also think our perimeter man defense would be a bit better

And we will be ready for them!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I am quickly becoming one of your fans!

And I back Creekdipper because I can list his name. And he/she seems sane and is positive.

agreed

Zay is a star. If she was playing, she would've been the leading scorer.

IF...
quotes-Don-t-ever-make-wonder-min.png

Maria reported that Coach Lacey Goldwire has been breaking down film with Jaz to spot mistakes such as times when she passed up good looks.

Jaz said the coaches have instilled confidence by giving her the "green light" to take such shots. She doesn't hesitate now and seems like a cool assassin when we badly need a bucket.

Kudos to Jaz and the Lady Vols staff (go Lacey!) In developing Jaz's game. The negative comments aimed at her from last year have turned into praise. She's one tough cookie!

I think Lacey will be a big asset. She has worked with some great coaches at some wonderful programs. She has really helped several very talented guards over the years.

Reactions: lvocd
Maria reported that Coach Lacey Goldwire has been breaking down film with Jaz to spot mistakes such as times when she passed up good looks.

Jaz said the coaches have instilled confidence by giving her the "green light" to take such shots. She doesn't hesitate now and seems like a cool assassin when we badly need a bucket.

Kudos to Jaz and the Lady Vols staff (go Lacey!) In developing Jaz's game. The negative comments aimed at her from last year have turned into praise. She's one tough cookie!
So that's it! I've said the miracle of Jaz should be studied and replicated immediately. I fervently hope Jordan Horston has taken up permanent residence in Coach Lacey's office.

Unfortunately, Jaz earned every negative comment last year; I frequently marveled that she was offered an SEC scholarship, I never saw a scintilla of potential in her on court performances last season. But now! She has turned into IMO one of the most solid and reliable pgs we've had in long time. I can't recall such a complete turnaround in an LV in my 25+ years of fandom.

Thank you, thank you Coach Lacey, and I just wish you had been around for poor Jamie Nared.

Evina was starting Point for 2 years going into her third. The chemistry she’d already built with Rennia and to a lesser extent Zaay and KK is missed. We’d more than likely already have a hella lot less turnovers.
Could not possibly disagree more. The only "chemistry" built the last few years was so toxic you practically had to wear a HazMat suit to the games. I would be astonished if Davis in particular missed the "chemistry" a bit; in fact, I see an absolute resurrection this year in the joy of a young lady whose psychological well-being we worried about last year.

Davis was the poster child for what got badly out of hand for the previous coaching staff, particularly last year. She displayed painfully oncourt the disappointment, the frustration, the disarray that engulfed the mindset of the program. One of my favorite things this season is the toughness, the joy, by gosh even the leadership Davis has shown. Has gone from the all-too-familar full-of-potential but frustratingly inconsisent LV we've seen so often to a full fledged All SEC player. Next year, kept on this track, she will be one of the top players in the country.

Would NEVER have happened if the previous circumstances were still in place. Rennia Davis, thru good luck of timing, is getting a chance to fulfill her potential that so many others never got.

Also couldn't disagree more that turnovers would be reduced if Evina was still here. I thought she also had great potential but in actuality she was a t.o. machine. It could be argued that if Evina had improved under the new staff as much as Jaz, we would have far fewer t.o.s, especially if it gave Horston the time and space she needed to adjust to the college game. But if you mean Evina as we actually experienced her, we'd have forty t.o.s per game, not the mere 20 we currently enjoy.

Last edited:
I don’t think Rennia misses the chemistry one little bit.
The problem is we can’t cry over spilled milk. We have to find a way to put it all together with the talent we have. We can still be a very good team but we have to play like Mo.State, it is us against the world. We can do it, I have no doubt.

This year vs. last year? We now have Coaches who teach through positive reinforcement, upbeat Lou is playing, Rae and Jaz have improved a lot, we have promising freshmen, the team is together, and Rennia leads this team and is happy. 🙂

Last edited:
So that's it! I've said the miracle of Jaz should be studied and replicated immediately. I fervently hope Jordan Horston has taken up permanent residence in Coach Lacey's office.

Unfortunately, Jaz earned every negative comment last year; I frequently marveled that she was offered an SEC scholarship, I never saw a scintilla of potential in her on court performances last season. But now! She has turned into IMO one of the most solid and reliable pgs we've had in long time. I can't recall such a complete turnaround in an LV in my 25+ years of fandom.

Thank you, thank you Coach Lacey, and I just wish you had been around for poor Jamie Nared.

Jaz has always been the pass first guard! I think coach at HH tried to get her to take over games but not in her genes ? This was a younger and not as mature player ! JMO

Now .... with directions to become a more complete player ! I can see her being more assertive and taking the ball towards the goal with intentions of scoring. If the defense allows her to score so be it but if they move to stop her .... they left someone open for the assist ! Simple point guard philosophy 🤔

Reactions: dapeak
Could not possibly disagree more. The only "chemistry" built the last few years was so toxic you practically had to wear a HazMat suit to the games. I would be astonished if Davis in particular missed the "chemistry" a bit; in fact, I see an absolute resurrection this year in the joy of a young lady whose psychological well-being we worried about last year.

Davis was the poster child for what got badly out of hand for the previous coaching staff, particularly last year. She displayed painfully oncourt the disappointment, the frustration, the disarray that engulfed the mindset of the program. One of my favorite things this season is the toughness, the joy, by gosh even the leadership Davis has shown. Has gone from the all-too-familar full-of-potential but frustratingly inconsisent LV we've seen so often to a full fledged All SEC player. Next year, kept on this track, she will be one of the top players in the country.

Would NEVER have happened if the previous circumstances were still in place. Rennia Davis, thru good luck of timing, is getting a chance to fulfill her potential that so many others never got.

Also couldn't disagree more that turnovers would be reduced if Evina was still here. I thought she also had great potential but in actuality she was a t.o. machine. It could be argued that if Evina had improved under the new staff as much as Jaz, we would have far fewer t.o.s, especially if it gave Horston the time and space she needed to adjust to the college game. But if you mean Evina as we actually experienced her, we'd have forty t.o.s per game, not the mere 20 we currently enjoy.

When I speak of chemistry, I’m speaking on court knowing where to throw passes, how a player likes to can or can catch a shot etc. that’s what Jordan is missing, she makes great passes but she hasn’t built enough chemistry yet on court to know when, where, how, and who to throw those passes to.

The actual chemistry issues, I hate to blame the previous staff but I will. It was fostered and it isn’t fair to blame teenage girls for that.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
When Evina Westbrook arrived at Tennessee she was 100% fired up to be a Lady Vol and spoke of being willing to give her all to get Tennessee back to winning championships. I remember welling up with pride as I read her inspiring words, knowing we really had something special in her. She wasn’t even the least bit selfish, and she wasn’t someone teammates appeared to have trouble getting along with.

IMO, what happened to Westbrook was she eventually became disillusioned, dispirited and heartbroken, and knowing that she had put her eggs in the wrong basket probably put a weight on her that she couldn’t carry with a fake smile any more.

Her on-court demeanor changed. She began to try to find a way HERSELF to do something when the staff didn’t have an answer. She became tired and stressed over the players being constantly blamed for all the problems the program was having. She finally gave up.

I don’t think ANY of this would have happened if she’d come in and had strong, competent leadership at the top. None of it. I think she’d have eventually graduated with some championships and a heart still full of love for everything orange. I really do.

Fortunately, we’ve got strong leadership at the top now.

When Evina Westbrook arrived at Tennessee she was 100% fired up to be a Lady Vol and spoke of being willing to give her all to get Tennessee back to winning championships. I remember welling up with pride as I read her inspiring words, knowing we really had something special in her. She wasn’t even the least bit selfish, and she wasn’t someone teammates appeared to have trouble getting along with.

IMO, what happened to Westbrook was she eventually became disillusioned, dispirited and heartbroken, and knowing that she had put her eggs in the wrong basket probably put a weight on her that she couldn’t carry with a fake smile any more.

Her on-court demeanor changed. She began to try to find a way HERSELF to do something when the staff didn’t have an answer. She became tired and stressed over the players being constantly blamed for all the problems the program was having. She finally gave up.

I don’t think ANY of this would have happened if she’d come in and had strong, competent leadership at the top. None of it. I think she’d have eventually graduated with some championships and a heart still full of love for everything orange. I really do.

Fortunately, we’ve got strong leadership at the top now.

And on social media, there was a vocal contingent of fans who insisted that all the problems were due to the players, not the staff, and Evina became the #1 target (even before her locker room comment). And the Evina's mom started getting very involved in defending her "baby" from these attacks and I am guessing Evina was very much aware of this dynamic. It was a complex and toxic overall situation where adults (hostile fan posters and defensive posters) should have not been pointing fingers.

VN Store

Back