This team has just gotten better and better

What’s interesting is during the game, Volnation was bashing Tony… a few post even saying Frank Anderson took the pitching staff a step backwards. But the fact is we really turned it around about half way through the season and we are sitting comfortably in the winners bracket. Many after the first sign of adversity are ready to blast the coaches and talk that the team isn’t fighting or “wants to lose” but yesterday was another sign that this team is giving their all for Tennessee.

I don't know if the numbers bear it out, but it feels like stealing second (against us) is not as sure a thing as it was earlier in the season, thanks to improvement at the catcher position.

TV said at the beginning of the season that last year's team was much older than the usual Tennessee team, and this year's roster was younger and would be more of a typical "work-in-progress" college team.

I wonder how, in hindsight, the coaching staff interprets the players' decision to return to the Daddy hat and fur coat of the previous season? I wonder if their efforts to create their own identity proved to be a distraction, or unnatural, or what? But it certainly appears from the outside that something changed at that time and the team became more successful on the field.

I would love for someone to approach TV after this season asking to co-author a book, comparing the two teams. It certainly seems like the insights that could be explored would be welcomed by coaches in any team sport.

Last edited:
What’s interesting is during the game, Volnation was bashing Tony… a few post even saying Frank Anderson took the pitching staff a step backwards. But the fact is we really turned it around about half way through the season and we are sitting comfortably in the winners bracket. Many after the first sign of adversity are ready to blast the coaches and talk that the team isn’t fighting or “wants to lose” but yesterday was another sign that this team is giving their all for Tennessee.
Your post is spot-on. It’s really a lack of understanding the game of baseball when people are bashing others for what they perceive as bad baseball. I don’t know how many balls we hit hard right at Clemson guys, but there were a bunch. It was just some bad luck and nothing that is controllable when that happens. Yet, you get these comments that we saw again last night.

Kudos to the Vols for staying the course for 14 tough innings and coming out a winner in what has to be one of the best regional classics of this tournament so far.

Your post is spot-on. It’s really a lack of understanding the game of baseball when people are bashing others for what they perceive as bad baseball. I don’t know how many balls we hit hard right at Clemson guys, but there were a bunch. It was just some bad luck and nothing that is controllable when that happens. Yet, you get these comments that we saw again last night.

Kudos to the Vols for staying the course for 14 tough innings and coming out a winner in what has to be one of the best regional classics of this tournament so far.
There's probably someone around who could do the math, but I wonder how many hundredths of a second difference there is in a swing that hits the ball right at a defender, and one that gets the ball through?

I'm sure it's less than the amount of time we spectators' brains have lost in synapse since college days.

Haven't you ever noticed, everyone who has played the game, coached, little league, or for that matter just been an expert watcher (in their own eyes) been a better coach than anyone else?

Those “fans” that were doubting this team didn’t realize we were playing top-5 opponents every weekend. We went 5-7 against 4 consecutive weeks of elite competition. And several of the games we did lose were winnable games. Teams had an entire offseason to scout our pitchers and we lost our entire lineup from the previous season. Name another coach that can lose one of the most explosive lineups in history and throw another one together within a few months and have them potentially hosting a Super Regional the following season. That just doesn’t happen folks. People need to realize that Tony took over a program that was going to the last day of the regular season just to make the SECT and now he has this program back where it should be. This is by far the best conference in the country and he is going toe to toe with the cream of the crop.

The biggest difference to me is the bats, specifically hitting with RISP. Last year’s team had multiple hitters. This year’s team has really struggled until the last few weeks.

The pitching has been mostly good all season. Some clutch hitting when it matters most has been the difference iyam.

Clemson is a stellar team that was on a 17 game W streak. They know how to win period. The Vols could have thrown it in like some of our posters but they hung tough. 1 strike away from victory and credit to Clemson they tied it up to keep the game alive but the Vols kept coming, very proud of this team playing a great team at their place and having the resilience to pull it out. GBO

I will never understand why someone would post that “this team just wants to lose.” I just think those posts come from people who have never played a competitive game in their lives.

Some want to be right so bad that they actually want the team to lose. Sad. And they are not fans. Like SMGvol and mattdinkus

Reactions: A.Vol70
It’d be great to see this team make a big run in the CBBWS. THAT would be a big statement about Tony V’s ability to develop players and teams.

Last season was such a huge letdown simply because that team was clearly the best one in the country, possibly one of the best in college baseball ever. It just felt like such a huge missed opportunity, I guess.

Can't wait to see how the Vols do the rest of the way.

Exactly why I never follow Volnation during a game. Just too many people who simply don’t have a clue.

Exactly why I never follow Volnation during a game. Just too many people who simply don’t have a clue.
It’s a shame that so many refuse to participate in the game thread due to a handful of pissants….the game threads could be so much more enjoyable if these idiots would t post.
once again, if I offend anyone, I’m talking about you….and you know who you are

Don't even think about posting during a football game. It's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever seen.
I agree. I ,personally, am too much into the game’s strategy, flow, and moment by moment progression to become involved in posting or reading post during a game. Granted…some of that is my generational incongruity but still…do these posters not enjoy the flow of a game? 🤷‍♂️ That’s mainly why I never attend “game parties” etc. If I’m going to watch the game…then I won’t be chatting or posting. Maybe it’s just me idk .

Especially defensively and on the base path throughout the year Kudos to them. Think this might be TV’s best job coaching to date IMO.
Clemson was thrown out on the bases 4 times last night. That turned out to be huge.

Oh and that 4-6-3 DP in the 10th was the biggest defensive play of the season.

Especially defensively and on the base path throughout the year Kudos to them. Think this might be TV’s best job coaching to date IMO.
Clemson was thrown out on the bases 4 times last night. That turned out to be huge.

Oh and that 4-6-3 DP in the 10th was the biggest defensive play of the season.

Our fans are great but can also be really extreme retards

VN Store

Back