This sums up our terrible situation (article)

It’s not impossible to get out of, but you need one helluva coach to do it; Saban, Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney type, and nothing indicates Pruitt is even on the same planet as those types. But a coach may be out there who can do it, so I don’t agree it’s impossible.

Reactions: wpcadetdad
Play HB the rest of the year and let him get the experience, sure UT will win 4 maybe 5 games this year, but they'd do that with JG too.

2 things are accomplished by this - HB gets a year of experience and should be ready for a great year next year. 2nd, it lets JG know he's done at UT. Don't bother coming back

I just dont think the players are responding to Pruitt's style. The Ga loss was expected,but or athlete's should be on par or better than Kentucky. If the players dont respond to the coach its never going to get better

I just dont think the players are responding to Pruitt's style. The Ga loss was expected,but or athlete's should be on par or better than Kentucky. If the players dont respond to the coach its never going to get better

The entire roster is to blame. Pruitt is dead on, it's just his entire roster that is wrong.

Got it.

Man, this feels like late phase Fulmer all over again.

Play HB the rest of the year and let him get the experience, sure UT will win 4 maybe 5 games this year, but they'd do that with JG too.

2 things are accomplished by this - HB gets a year of experience and should be ready for a great year next year. 2nd, it lets JG know he's done at UT. Don't bother coming back

I picked 5 and 5 as their record before we saw them play this year. Now I don't see three more wins regardless of who is at QB. I think we beat Vandy, that's it.

Reactions: Tnslim1 and vols 30
The situation is bleak indeed. If it were me, I'd start prepping Bailey now for the future. May lose more games but I think it would be more beneficial in the long run. Maurer and/or Shrout will likely end up transferring. Then I'd pull in a QB transfer to add some depth for next season. That way you'd have Bailey, transfer QB, and Salter. Hell, maybe even coaching up a walk-on too wouldn't hurt.

“And this is why the Vols are stuck. They know they aren’t getting anywhere with Guarantano and they know they aren’t good enough to prop up his backups.”

That’s hilarious. This team can’t even prop up the 5 year senior QB because he turns the ball over so much.

Give each QB a full quarter to settle in until one gets a rhythm then go with that one. There’s no upside to keep playing JG.

Guarantano is a sunk cost at this point. Remains to be seen if Not So Smart Lex Luthor has enough sense to realize it.

Can really tell the authors frustration in the article too. Probably as sick or sicker than the rest of us watching this crap year in and year out.

Why do some keep referring to the Georgia State loss as the worst in program history? It wasn’t. Now back to the main points. The article sums it up perfectly. It’s a scathing indictment on this program as a whole and Pruitt. Let’s be honest, outside of Bailey, the QB recruiting has been terrible since Bray was recruited. Dobbs turned out to be better than most of us thought but he mainly made plays with his legs.

Sad part is we heard Shrout had earned the #2 spot and he came in and looked terrible. Bailey is a true FR that had almost zero spring camp or practice time. His struggles are expected. So Pruitt tried Shrout, what about Maurer? Why not give him a shot? Hell why not give Jimmy Holiday a shot? It can’t get any worse. Especially next week.

He should have been getting these guys more reps all along. How in haiti can the backups improve if they don't never get any reps and get yanked when they make their first mistake. All JG can do is practice good, when defenses turn up the wick he crumbles and has did it time and time again. At this point competition is the only thing that is going to spark us, play the young guys let them make the mistakes JG is making and maybe they can learn from it. Good grief quit be enamoured with JG's practices and let the others practice with 1's. Bailey has a 5 star arm for the love of humanity get him REP'S!!!!! Quit with the kids gloving Qb's, Spurrier would be running them in and out like a hurd of cattle no matter if it was a walkon. To stick with the same low ceiling is STUPID, you can never get content at the Qb position, you must always be pushing to get better there. It is the single most important position of the field, you never settle for average. GBO!!!!!

Headline is dumb clickbait.

The situation is that we're lacking good QB play. That's not a "situation impossible to get out of". We have 2 young QBs with a lot of promise. One is injured (Maurer) and the other just hasn't gotten much in the way of reps due to Covid limited the offseason.

Yeah, we need to figure out the QB situation, but let's not exaggerate it.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

I'm concerned we'll break HB the same way we broke JG if we throw HB to the wolves. The beatings JG took early on destroyed him.

I'm concerned we'll break HB the same way we broke JG if we throw HB to the wolves. The beatings JG took early on destroyed him.

Agree he took a pounding. Can’t agree that this caused his current problems. He’s not skittish or throwing it too early. He just doesn’t have any sense of feel or anticipation. He couldnt call out protections against UGa. I just don’t think he was ever an SEC level qb. No one knows if HB is or not. We’ll know more in a month.

“And this is why the Vols are stuck. They know they aren’t getting anywhere with Guarantano and they know they aren’t good enough to prop up his backups.”

That’s hilarious. This team can’t even prop up the 5 year senior QB because he turns the ball over so much.

Give each QB a full quarter to settle in until one gets a rhythm then go with that one. There’s no upside to keep playing JG.

Prop up his backups. Meaning the backups would even give you worse fits, that's why you don't see them. It's like they are uncoachable.

I want to start HB because he is the only hope of salvaging the season. This year Bama doesnt have killers on defense, but bc of our tackle play problems, HB could get beat up a lot. We wont beat Bama even if they sat their starters down the whole game, so is it fair to the kid to throw him into a no-win situation? I say flip a coin. There are problems either way. He wont get better on the bench, but he could lose his confidence in a bad showing vs Bama.

Agree he took a pounding. Can’t agree that this caused his current problems. He’s not skittish or throwing it too early. He just doesn’t have any sense of feel or anticipation. He couldnt call out protections against UGa. I just don’t think he was ever an SEC level qb. No one knows if HB is or not. We’ll know more in a month.
JG plays better when he has a concussion.

Does anyone know how complicated Chaney's offense is to learn/run? Could that be part of the problem? Someone stated earlier to simplify the offense for HB and let him have at it. I remember Chaney/Kiffin doing this for Crompton if I'm not mistaken..

VN Store

Back