This is what you get when you don’t teach history in school.

I don’t know why at this point this still shocks me at the lack of basic American history , but it does .

I really hope this is fake. Otherwise, it kind of makes me sad. WWII is one of the most impactful events in human history. To not even have a basic understanding of it at an elementary level among college students is depressing.

I feel sorry and bad for them . I don’t think they had older vets to talk to and see the wheels turning in their mind when they thought about what they overcame and endured , coming out on the other side as determined men that were proud of their country . Not in anyway disrespecting any of our other vets , I just believe it was a really good and humbling experience to have a WW2 vet in my life that gave me a lot of perspective .

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
I feel sorry and bad for them . I don’t think they had older vets to talk to and see the wheels turning in their mind when they thought about what they overcame and endured , coming out on the other side as determined men that were proud of their country . Not in anyway disrespecting any of our other vets , I just believe it was a really good and humbling experience to have a WW2 vet in my life that gave me a lot of perspective .
I didn't have a WWII vet in my life, but I could have answered these basic questions in junior high. I hope this is fake.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The “to you” is a key part. You are catching these kids on the fly. What they are thinking about is our current engagements and Afghanistan. Shock reporting is stupid.

The “to you” is a key part. You are catching these kids on the fly. What they are thinking about is our current engagements and Afghanistan. Shock reporting is stupid.

What ? You either know about WW2 or you don’t . The one girl goes on to explain after being asked about it , how the Iran contra deal was right after WW2 . The other girl says “ their will always be people in the world like Hitler”. That’s not shock reporting , there’s some kind of disconnect some where .

Last edited:
Then the other girl says " yeah pearl harbor was bad...and after that we got our freedom from Great Britain. "

WTF.

I blame not just laziness and stupidity...which are rampant...but the way teachers in public school only "teach for the test" to make sure they get enough kids to hold just enough basic shallow facts in their short term memories long enough to pass the standardized test at the end of the year. Thats not most teachers desire...and NO good teachers desire...but what they are now forced to do in public schools. Zero critical thinking...zero research or deep digging into history or anything else. Just rote memorization of exactly what is on the test this year and then same thing next bbn year for a different set of questions.

Heres the deeper question...

Do people this damn ignorant deserve to walk around with a degree from Howard???

What about UT???

Should you be able to graduate UT and not know basic knowledge about what wars our country has fought? At least ww1 and ww2??? Its embarrassing to me as an American that we have so many ignorant people. I am still very proud to be an American...just embarrassed by many of our citizens and their ignorance.

Reactions: VolStrom

I don’t know why at this point this still shocks me at the lack of basic American history , but it does .

Did that guy really say the US saved the world in WWII? Interesting. I wonder if he meant to minimize the Red Army's contribution in WWII?

Also, had the US and Allied forces not placed an embargo on Japan, there would have been no need for Japan to attack Pearl Harbor. And for that matter, why was the Pacific Fleet even at Pearl Harbor instead of California at that time?

Did that guy really say the US saved the world in WWII? Interesting. I wonder if he meant to minimize the Red Army's contribution in WWII?

Also, had the US and Allied forces not placed an embargo on Japan, there would have been no need for Japan to attack Pearl Harbor. And for that matter, why was the Pacific Fleet even at Pearl Harbor instead of California at that time?

The fleet was there to get attacked and draw us in.

I don’t necessarily believe WW1 was justified as it appears have been a power grab by bankers etc but with WW2 we had to help the Jewish population. Mass genocide was going on and we couldn’t just sit by.

Now I understand that this is not why we entered and we went in mainly to get us out of a depression but I feel the side benefits justifies this.

Pretty normal from a Western view. Many people tend to forget, or gloss over, the fact that Russia had about 20 million people die fighting the Axis.
This is a pretty apologetic view toward Japan. Should they have been allowed to move through the Pacific unchecked?

This is a pretty apologetic view toward Japan. Should they have been allowed to move through the Pacific unchecked?
Was it our duty to "check" them? They were across the ocean from us and were of no concern to us (when I say "us", I mean the average American on Main Street, not "us" as in US business interests).

The same could be said about the war in Europe at the time, also.

Was it our duty to "check" them? They were across the ocean from us and were of no concern to us (when I say "us", I mean the average American on Main Street, not "us" as in US business interests).

I do believe you are the embodiment of your namesake.

I don't think an unchecked, fascist Japan and Germany would be a good idea for world peace.

VN Store

Back