This is turning into an absolute circus...

As of 5 minutes ago UT was No. 10 in the class rankings of 247, Rivals, and Scout. They may drop 2 -3 places after NSD as so many high 4* and 5*'s wait until NSD to announce, and us not likely to get any such good surprises this year. From where recruiting started with the long parade of nothing but mid grade 3*'s, I'll be very happy to stay under 15th place. If we stay at no. 10, I'm pretty well amazed.
I don't want to flog the dead horse but the 27 commits is the only thing propping up that ranking. I definitely don't think we should be ahead of anyone else in the top 10 and we should probably be behind USC, Clemson and Stanford. There are a number of schools that have a little bit of an edge on us because they have far less 3* but a similar number of 4* (Barn, ND, Washington, UF and Texas) and all could easily pass us with a decent finish. Depending on where some 5* land, we could easily be outside Top 20. I'm still hopeful that the staff is recruiting over about 6 guys as Doug Matthews suggested a couple of weeks ago. If that happens, we good.

Reading threads like this always remind me that "fan" is short for "fanatic." If UT had quickly hired an AD, it would be construed as a "panic" or "knee jerk" reaction. Instead, it goes through a process and is viewed as indecisive. While the ability of the UT fan base to find fault with everything, all the time, is not unique, it is rather vigorous and causes one to wonder if the reason people don't jump at jobs at UT is because the fan base is so negative. Spend 15 minutes on his board and you will easily conclude the fan base will never be happy. (See e.g., two 9-4 seasons and the football coach is dead man walking.)

Reactions: 1 person
Phil wants the job and will work for less than some big national names---they can pay him $500,000 and he will be happy.

May work for free. They already paid him $6M for not working!!! But he loves the university and let them pay him over several years.

Seems like they already have a couple of good candidates right in their own back yard. Will be pretty funny if the search firm recommeds one of them.

Anyway, sounds like some search firm pal of a booster needs to cash in on every UT fumble/brain freeze.

Reading threads like this always remind me that "fan" is short for "fanatic." If UT had quickly hired an AD, it would be construed as a "panic" or "knee jerk" reaction. Instead, it goes through a process and is viewed as indecisive. While the ability of the UT fan base to find fault with everything, all the time, is not unique, it is rather vigorous and causes one to wonder if the reason people don't jump at jobs at UT is because the fan base is so negative. Spend 15 minutes on his board and you will easily conclude the fan base will never be happy. (See e.g., two 9-4 seasons and the football coach is dead man walking.)

When 2 of the four in the most reason season were to SC and VU you aint getting a parade through the canyon of heroes.

:clapping:

Everyone hired needs to get combat pay for dealing with the stupidity.

May work for free. They already paid him $6M for not working!!! But he loves the university and let them pay him over several years.

Where I work, during layoffs - employees were paid a week pay for every year served plus unused vacation. Were they also freeloaders or is it the amount of $$$$ that bugs you?:hi:

There are 10,000 ball scratchers on Vol Nation who can come up the answer in 30 minutes and for about $200,000 less.

Just add the overhead costs to tuition, nobody will notice!

The search committee title is a misnomer in this case. We are only hiring them to do the vetting not search for candidates. Any major organization that is not properly vetting the candidates has failed to do due diligence.

Two points at work here.

1- It's good that they are taking the time necessary to make the right choice...cuz it's a very important position and vital to the present and future of the sports programs.

2-The problem is we live in an environment of "perception" and by dragging their feet and leaving all this uncertainty out there for so long the 'perception' among potential recruits and coaches is that they are clueless and don't know what the he## they are doing.

Yes....get it right...but you can't ignore what the "perception" of this is to the outside and they have to take it into account during this process. "Perception" is everything in recruiting. If you are looked at as a program that is indecisive or worse....you are screwed.

VN Store

Back