This Is The Best Wide Receiving Corps Ever

Gault, Miller, Duncan, Tim McGee, Lenny Taylor, Eric Swanson, and Joey Clinkscales---

Seven of McGee's teammates– Willie Gault, Mike Miller, Clyde Duncan, Darryal Wilson, Lenny Taylor, Eric Swanson and Joey Clinkscales– would become NFL Draft picks, with Gault and Duncan going in the first round.

I love Jennings.....but will have to disagree with the OP..... This trio is not even close to the best we've ever had on the field inside Neyland.

Jennings reminds me most of Carl Pickens....I think he'd be a carbon copy of Pickens if he could run like Carl.

Pickens, Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Craig Faulkner, and Von Reeves at TE were a little better than this trio, too--IMO.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Gault, Miller, Duncan, Tim McGee, Lenny Taylor, Eric Swanson, and Joey Clinkscales---

Seven of McGee's teammates– Willie Gault, Mike Miller, Clyde Duncan, Darryal Wilson, Lenny Taylor, Eric Swanson and Joey Clinkscales– would become NFL Draft picks, with Gault and Duncan going in the first round.

I love Jennings.....but will have to disagree with the OP..... This trio is not even close to the best we've ever had on the field inside Neyland.

Jennings reminds me most of Carl Pickens....I think he'd be a carbon copy of Pickens if he could run like Carl.

Pickens, Alvin Harper, Anthony Morgan, Craig Faulkner, and Von Reeves at TE were a little better than this trio, too--IMO.

Great call!! I think Willie Gault kinda started the whole WRU thing, there were very few receivers before him that could run like he could, he was our 1st true recognized speedster at the position.

Pickens, Harper, Von Reeves and other Vol football players had a really good intramural basketball team on campus that year as well, they finished 2nd with the finals being played in TBA, guess who beat them :) They were fun to watch play football, all of them big, physical and fast and Pickens and Harper pushed each other to be better like no other tandem we've ever had.

We're having this conversation 11 games into the season...FINALLY...and it's a great conversation. But, the weird thing is, teams didn't really "fear" our WR group the last few years, like alot of the other groups mentioned because 1)QB play or 2) OL protection or 4) Both. In reality, we've only really scorched other teams a few times to a point that WR group just took over the game...Auburn LY, SC this year, and Miz...may be a couple others I'm not thinking of. But, it's really well deserved recognition, and maybe the re-launch of WRU

Great call!! I think Willie Gault kinda started the whole WRU thing, there were very few receivers before him that could run like he could, he was our 1st true recognized speedster at the position.

Pickens, Harper, Von Reeves and other Vol football players had a really good intramural basketball team on campus that year as well, they finished 2nd with the finals being played in TBA, guess who beat them :) They were fun to watch play football, all of them big, physical and fast and Pickens and Harper pushed each other to be better like no other tandem we've ever had.

You forgot Anthony Hancock..... He and Gault ran past Wisconsin's DBs all game long in '81.

We're having this conversation 11 games into the season...FINALLY...and it's a great conversation. But, the weird thing is, teams didn't really "fear" our WR group the last few years, like alot of the other groups mentioned because 1)QB play or 2) OL protection or 4) Both. In reality, we've only really scorched other teams a few times to a point that WR group just took over the game...Auburn LY, SC this year, and Miz...may be a couple others I'm not thinking of. But, it's really well deserved recognition, and maybe the re-launch of WRU
I personally thought the WR group underperformed through the Ga game with just glimpses of being great. They've been as good a group as any in the country here lately. It's not a popular position but I think Palmer is the best of this bunch, he's made some insane catches this year.

Is everybody forgetting about Stanley Morgan?
He was definitely one of the greats that started WRU. He played for the Patriots in his prime and they stunk back then, he was great though! Had he played for the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders or Dolphins back then he'd certainly have gained more notoriety I think.

Kent, Nash, Price, Copeland, McCullough

Discussion ended!

But...... Gault, Hancock, Mike Miller in ‘81 are my favorites

Anthony Miller did play for the chargers, not sure what year but it was around that time. He was the fastest Vol on the team when he was on rocky top. I think Miller played in the late 80's. Played for the chargers a few years, seems like injuries got him from what I remember. GBO!
Yes, Miller played for the Chargers, the Broncos and his last year, the Cowboys. Not sure injuries got him that bad. I believe Miller ended his NFL career with around 9,000 receiving yards and 60 TDs

Loved Stanley Morgan. One of my favorite NFL receivers with the Patriots. Actually liked the Patriots because of him. Showing my age here but Stanley Morgan I believe was a running back at Tennessee. Larry Seivers was the top wide receiver.
Morgan was a wr his first year, then moved to rb.

We've left out Larry Seivers!! His famous quote of "I'd rather beat Bryant than play for him" puts him way up there!

VN Store

Back