This is not even close to being all JG’s fault!!

I am going to do a little drive by analysis . These are blatant errors by JG . It is obvious that he has no clue what is happening in his pre-snap read. It could be the case that he has not been give the ability to make pre-snap changes and audible. I cant imagine a Chaney offense not allowing this , but I will let you decide. These errors by JG make the offensive line look horrible . They make the receivers look horrible . They are enough to cause game melt downs . JG has several over aching issues to feed into each of the failures noted below. He holds the ball to long. He stars down receivers. He has no pocket awareness. There were mistakes all around . The tackles looked like they were getting boat raced. But if the blitzes were picked up pre-snap and / or JG slid forward in the pocket and delivered before 3 seconds , 80% of the o-lines bust would not have been busts at all. When you play teams like UGA , somebody is going to get beat at some point in the game. That is just football. So when you look at the greats like Manning or Brady or any other great , they make you pay for blitzing and it starts pre-snap. They make running backs look great by getting them in the right play at the right time.

6.38 1st quarter
safety drops to the box making 7 in the box , obvious pre snap blitz. Man coverage . JG has to check to a hot route . Rather, he does nothing and hands off running right to the teeth of the defense.

5.18 1st

GA line shifts right . This creates a free rusher on the right side. GA has 6 in the box . This is first and 10 . QB should check to run strong side away from the free rusher. Rather JG snaps with 22 seconds on the play clock . He must scramble to get back to the LOS.

GA has 6 in the box , they blitz a safety making it 7 creating an overload in the box on the left . Pre-snap it is known there will be an unblocked rusher. JG snaps the ball with 29 seconds on the play clock . Its second and 8 and all routes are set deep . The back should have been checked hot and leaked out for easy pitch and catch. He would have gotten 8 yards.
Instead JG barely makes it back to the LOS

4.40 2nd pass rush from defensive ends . JG drops drops drops ...never stepping up into the pocket. He holds the ball for 4 seconds. Running back is open . Instead JG calls his own number in a panic run and barely gets back to the LOS . He runs directly toward the open RB but is staring down field and does not see him. A good QB steps up in the pocket and delivers .

3rd quarter fumble. 4 man pass rush . JG has to step up into the pocket , rather he back peddles and then decides to Scramble left and is caught from behind. Mid route is open . Again a good QB steps into the pocket and hits the middle route ( see diagram ) . He hits this on time at the 2.5 to 3 second mark. .

3 quarter overload blitz. 2 receivers left uncovered . This is a tricky blitz that is not visible pre-snap. JG throws INT . Delivers on time to the back there is a one on one with back and safety in the open field. This is probably a good throw away down .

3-8 , double LB blitz .14.34 4th . Had to be suspected pre-snap as there is a single high safety and man coverage across the board. A decent pre-snap read is that that two LBs have a job and are not going to be standing there on 3rd and 8 with nothing to do. He needs a 2 second release at the marker ( again , he should know the heat is coming in this obvious down and distance ) , in stead we get nearly a 4 second release

3/5 10:07 4th . Same as above . fumble GA touchdown

This game is different with better pre-snap reads and better QB fundamentals .

Good post. And to piggyback off this a little... In the presser, Pruitt did say that there were several times that "we" didn't correctly identify the Mike LB. To me that is is fundamental. Isn't that the very first read you make as a QB at the line? You identify your strong side LB's.

Witch Doctor say if you take the emotions out.... JG made a couple mistakes ( bad throws) but he didnt have time on those strips, Witch Doctor LOVE JChaney but he sometimes makes some bad situational calls. They couldnt
handle those delayed blitzes Witch Doctor say on the other side. We wasnt supposed to win this game. Fact

Bones Never Lie.

Witch Doctor say lets win the ones we are supposed to win

Reactions: ForeverfaithfulVOL
UGA did t respect JG as a passer. They didn’t really fear it. You think they will play the same against Trask? Nope. JG isn’t the sole reason we lost but he is a big reason.

I have been a staunch JG supporter. Enough is enough. This offense is handcuffed because of his inabilities.
Good kid, but terrible QB. I agree with everything here. Good QBs make defenses pay for blitzes, but a defense will blitz almost every passing down if they have NO FEAR of the QB. With a good QB, our offensive line would be touted as one of the best in America. Good QBs make everyone else around them better. All of our WRs looked like AAs when Manning was here, but almost none of them could make it at the next level

Maybe someone can explain why if our online play so horribly why did JG time to throw go from 2.2 the first 2 games and 1 half of UGA to 2.48 in the 2nd half......
Seems to me he had time just could read the coverages fast enough

There are according secstatcat.com

He played a perfect first half. You will not complete every dropback. Sorry that is just football. You are nitpicking .

Second half the line played like crap but he should have held on to the ball better.

Yeah ,I did not include every drop back . He had numerous good plays .He dropped back several times and it resulted in an incompletion. These were not counted in my review because there was no serious error on the QB part. Much of the line play in the second have could be attributed to an absent pre-snap read by the QB. There was literally none . I even stated the caveat that JG may not be allowed to check out or change routes ...but that is tenuous and doubtful. Why would an obvious blitz , a bad blocker ratio , and incompatible routes not be changed pre-snap by the signal caller with 20 some odd seconds on the clock ? Whatever is going on with this ( system ? QB ? ) is hanging the offensive line out to dry. Much of what could be seen as an o-line shortcoming could be easily fixed pre-snap by the QB. Why that is not happening ...I just do'nt know

He is supposed to be the game manager and giving the ball up 3 or 4 times in a row isn't managing. But I will give you this. His OC sitting up in the box should have seen that the GA defense was overwhelming his line and his QB comes completely undone under heavy assault. It wouldn't have been as bad if he had called down a set of running plays until his Offense got over to the sidelines and planned some adjustments. Chaney can't make the plays but he can observe the obvious from his catbird seat and keep things under control. That was worse than a panic. I bet there aren't many QBs in the conference that would have turned it over that frequently under the exact same pressure. Even some of the worst would have protected the ball first even if it meant getting on the ground quick.
You make it sound as if JG should keep his eyes open during the play ...........

JG, by no means, was not the ONLY problem and the OL did him no favors at all. But yes, he still is to blame for not feeling the pressure and moving. If he had just a tiny bit of wheels on him (and wasnt he a "dual threat"?) he could have rolled to the other side several times.
Yes sir ree ... JG is so used to not getting hit in practice he is dumbfounded when it happens in a REAL GAME

But the bottom line is that if JG gets us to 6-4 and another QB only gets us to 5-5, you have to play JG, as frustrating as it is.
I know some former Marcus Mariota proponents that now might argue a QB change could turn out better than expected

Reactions: jarhead
He had appropriate time on most plays, at least for a SEC caliber quarterback, he didnt pick up on the blitz just like he hasnt ever, I guarantee he has more blindside hits and fumbles than anyone else starting in college football right now and its not the lines fault completely, sure they have some issues as well as the backs did not pick up blitzers very well but he has continuously held the ball too long and threw late, that coupled with his apparent inablility to read blitz packages gets him creamed too much, otherwise he is a capable qb, he has touch on the long ball for sure but he did cost us the game.
You sure -1 rushing yards didn’t have something to do with that?

A QB should have an expectation of getting 3 seconds to pass. We did not give him that. On the strip sacks he had two hands on the ball, nothing he could do. People should be angry with the play of our tackles not QB. The rush didn’t come from the middle it was all outside. The guards seemed to hold up in protection. Although no one gave us a push in the run game. We have to speed our tackles up. I don't Think JG held the ball too long on any of the strip sacks. He made some mistakes but most of you are putting your blame on the wrong person. Ask anyone who played or coached football. They will tell you the same. To many people on here think they know a lot about “team” football and how it works together and they really know just enough to go blaming wrong people. It’s easy to do from the couch!
JG rated 13th in the SEC QB's

Got it, “while there was nowhere to run for the running backs, their decision to run into the Georgia DL was their fault”
......The running backs didnt fumble or get strip sacked so even tho they didnt have room to run, they still protected the ball which JG did not.

A QB should have an expectation of getting 3 seconds to pass. We did not give him that. On the strip sacks he had two hands on the ball, nothing he could do. People should be angry with the play of our tackles not QB. The rush didn’t come from the middle it was all outside. The guards seemed to hold up in protection. Although no one gave us a push in the run game. We have to speed our tackles up. I don't Think JG held the ball too long on any of the strip sacks. He made some mistakes but most of you are putting your blame on the wrong person. Ask anyone who played or coached football. They will tell you the same. To many people on here think they know a lot about “team” football and how it works together and they really know just enough to go blaming wrong people. It’s easy to do from the couch!
cool, it’s not you, it’s me and it’s just not working out. I think we tried to make it work a year longer than it should have. You are wonderful special person and someone will be lucky to have you but it’s just not working out. Best of luck, no hard feelings but it’s over

I have to put this squarely on Pruitt as well as the QB coaching staff. JG should have never been on the field, this staff is unable to develop quarterbacks.

Reactions: lifeVol and 90 Vol

VN Store

Back