This is a 9-3 Schedule

We as fans need to be happy with a 6-6 and stop thinking we are gonna beat the Florida's the Georgia's and bamas. This year I can easily see us losing to Kentucky now. They truly have a good offense this year unlike the past 10 years. I don't care when they were ranked top 10 several years ago that offense is no were as good as what they have now. But Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, bama, Ole Miss are all losses for sure. The rest are winnable or toss ups.

Happy?! You may tell me that 6-6 is the best we can hope for or what we should expect based on results so far but for damn sure don’t tell me to be happy with it.

Did you just say the that coach Butch Jones who has the best record since Fulmer hasn't been our best coach since Fulmer?
He had talent drop into his lap. He was wholly incompetent as a coach. I gave you the reasons. Which ones do you disagree with? Do you think he was the brilliant offensive innovator that he thought he was or the joke opposing coaches thought he was? Did he not squander more talent than the others? Did he manage player relationships well? He had Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Barnett, Sutton, Moseley, Reeves-Maybin, John Kelly, Malone, Wolf, Jennings, and North plus a bunch of other very good players... and couldn't win more than 8 regular season games or truly challenge for the SEC East. Yeah. I'm going to say that's incompetent. I would be surprised if any of the others hired since Fulmer would have won the East in '15, '16, or both.

Lol I'm not saying I want him back or that he is a the best coach out their by any means but he literally has the best record at our school since Fulmer. Yes he pissed away a couple good seasons that would have gotten us to the SEC championship game not disagreeing with that but since Fulmer so far he is the best we have had until CJH proves otherwise.
UT hasn't had good coaching since Kiffin. I don't like him but he got more out of that roster than the sum of its parts... by a lot. Jones was exactly the opposite. He had talent. He had A LOT of talent. Most of it fell into his lap but his used car schtick worked for the first couple of years too. What he couldn't do is coach.

Yes. I'm saying from a fundamental understanding of the game and how to teach it... he was the worst. That's not saying any of the others were great. They weren't. But from purely the aspect of what the guy did in development, practice, and games... talent carried him. He was terrible otherwise. He made a habit of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

He had talent drop into his lap. He was wholly incompetent as a coach. I gave you the reasons. Which ones do you disagree with? Do you think he was the brilliant offensive innovator that he thought he was or the joke opposing coaches thought he was? Did he not squander more talent than the others? Did he manage player relationships well? He had Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, Barnett, Sutton, Moseley, Reeves-Maybin, John Kelly, Malone, Wolf, Jennings, and North plus a bunch of other very good players... and couldn't win more than 8 regular season games or truly challenge for the SEC East. Yeah. I'm going to say that's incompetent. I would be surprised if any of the others hired since Fulmer would have won the East in '15, '16, or both.

UT hasn't had good coaching since Kiffin. I don't like him but he got more out of that roster than the sum of its parts... by a lot. Jones was exactly the opposite. He had talent. He had A LOT of talent. Most of it fell into his lap but his used car schtick worked for the first couple of years too. What he couldn't do is coach.

Yes. I'm saying from a fundamental understanding of the game and how to teach it... he was the worst. That's not saying any of the others were great. They weren't. But from purely the aspect of what the guy did in development, practice, and games... talent carried him. He was terrible otherwise. He made a habit of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.
Dude butch jones won more games at Tennessee than any other coach since Fulmer. Period idk why you're arguing against this

Dude butch jones won more games at Tennessee than any other coach since Fulmer. Period idk why you're arguing against this
Dude. He had talent fall in his lap like NO coach has in my decades of watching Vol football. Fulmer to a large degree was also carried by talent (and Cutcliffe) but he worked for those players. He didn't have a long line of guys like Hurd who were never signing anywhere else.

When it comes to COACHING THE GAME OF FOOTBALL... Jones is incompetent. His ideas about how do develop and play the OL... were a joke. He was laughed at for thinking his "small quick" idea was ever going to work. While he was working on the "fine details of playing winning football" like how a guy sleeps... the competition was building 320 lb OLs who were just as quick and far more powerful than his guys.

And... no one since Fulmer has had a Dobbs level QB to save them from themselves. When Jones' ridiculous offense broke down, Dobbs found ways to make a play to salvage it.

And do you really want to argue he did a good job of handling players or building a good culture?

I am not arguing he didn't have a better record. He did. I am arguing the "why". That's because he had better players... and Dobbs... that save him from himself often. But they needed a coach vs UF and OU... and didn't have one. However he had 10-11 win players in year 3 and 4 and won only 8 games each year (not counting the bowl in either number). He underperformed the talent on his roster in each of his 5 years. In '16, it wasn't even close. He was blown out by Bama.... but the worst part is that the reason he didn't get 10 regular season wins and win the East... was that he choked against two teams with a losing record on the season- USCe and Vandy.

He had a 2-3 record vs Vandy... and you want to talk about him being a better "coach" than anyone? In 2016 he lost to a 6-7 Vandy team with one of the most talented UT rosters from the last 20 years.

Last edited:
Dude. He had talent fall in his lap like NO coach has in my decades of watching Vol football. Fulmer to a large degree was also carried by talent (and Cutcliffe) but he worked for those players. He didn't have a long line of guys like Hurd who were never signing anywhere else.

When it comes to COACHING THE GAME OF FOOTBALL... Jones is incompetent. His ideas about how do develop and play the OL... were a joke. He was laughed at for thinking his "small quick" idea was ever going to work. While he was working on the "fine details of playing winning football" like how a guy sleeps... the competition was building 320 lb OLs who were just as quick and far more powerful than his guys.

And... no one since Fulmer has had a Dobbs level QB to save them from themselves. When Jones' ridiculous offense broke down, Dobbs found ways to make a play to salvage it.

And do you really want to argue he did a good job of handling players or building a good culture?

I am not arguing he didn't have a better record. He did. I am arguing the "why". That's because he had better players... and Dobbs... that save him from himself often. But they needed a coach vs UF and OU... and didn't have one. However he had 10-11 win players in year 3 and 4 and won only 8 games each year (not counting the bowl in either number). He underperformed the talent on his roster in each of his 5 years. In '16, it wasn't even close. He was blown out by Bama.... but the worst part is that the reason he didn't get 10 regular season wins and win the East... was that he choked against two teams with a losing record on the season- USCe and Vandy.

He had a 2-3 record vs Vandy... and you want to talk about him being a better "coach" than anyone? In 2016 he lost to a 6-7 Vandy team with one of the most talented UT rosters from the last 20 years.
Yet he is the winningest coach since Fulmer.

This is 5 wins minimum if we don't pull a Pruitt and lose to teams we should stomp on.

BGF.................... W
Pitt..................... L
Tenn Tech........ W
UF....................... L
Mizz................... W
SC....................... W
OM..................... L
Bama................. L
UK...................... W
UGA.................. .L
S Bama............. W
Vandy................ W

5 wins should be our floor. 7 wins is highly possible.

Pitt, Mizz, SC, OM, UK are all close games. We only need a couple to fall our way for a good season.
Never forget.

4-8 floor, 6-6 ceiling. 5-7 most likely outcome.

This year, my goal has changed from being bowl eligible to just finding the right QB.
7-5 is the ceiling. Kentucky and Missouri are not DEFINITE losses. Do I think we beat either? Not if we play like we did last week. But so write them off as losses is absurd.

Reactions: De La Cloobs

Kiffin wasn’t some great coach

VN Store

Back