This article is when today’s football problems started. It culminated with great program changes starting 2002. The time Fulmer started his decline!

As a current instructor at UT (and former Thornton tutor), I can say it is still happening and it is only a matter of time before another whistleblower exposes Thornton Athletics. Every semester I have around ten or so football players pushed into my courses. They show up for two or three classes, never come back and I have to give them an NC instead of the F they earned. It is very frustrating when I have students on my waitlist who want to take the course but cannot get in because I have to take Thornton students first. Each of these students has a personal observer who is supposed to be keeping up with them. I have emailed these observers multiple times over student absences and general lack of effort. I have never had any of these emails answered. Three times a semester I have to report student athlete grades to Thornton, and I never get any replies from that either, even when students are blatantly failing. I wasn't a tutor for very long, but caught onto what was going on there pretty quick too. Abysmal pay for tutors (up to 20 hours a week of prep, just to be paid for one hour of tutoring at nine dollars an hour). Tons of upfront training on ethical standards, but as soon as the doors close to the private tutoring rooms, the athlete lets you know how it is really going to be and how you really earn under the table as a tutor.

I am sure the same thing goes on at every big football school, but I can tell you that folks in my department, as well as some I've talked to outside of the department, are just about over it with Thornton. So, I figure I won't be too long before there is another big scandal.

No, I will not tell which department I am in, (it is one that gets a lot of student athletes). And No, I will not be giving out any proof of my position (I'd like to keep it). You can believe me or not.

As a current instructor at UT (and former Thornton tutor), I can say it is still happening and it is only a matter of time before another whistleblower exposes Thornton Athletics. Every semester I have around ten or so football players pushed into my courses. They show up for two or three classes, never come back and I have to give them an NC instead of the F they earned. It is very frustrating when I have students on my waitlist who want to take the course but cannot get in because I have to take Thornton students first. Each of these students has a personal observer who is supposed to be keeping up with them. I have emailed these observers multiple times over student absences and general lack of effort. I have never had any of these emails answered. Three times a semester I have to report student athlete grades to Thornton, and I never get any replies from that either, even when students are blatantly failing. I wasn't a tutor for very long, but caught onto what was going on there pretty quick too. Abysmal pay for tutors (up to 20 hours a week of prep, just to be paid for one hour of tutoring at nine dollars an hour). Tons of upfront training on ethical standards, but as soon as the doors close to the private tutoring rooms, the athlete lets you know how it is really going to be and how you really earn under the table as a tutor.

I am sure the same thing goes on at every big football school, but I can tell you that folks in my department, as well as some I've talked to outside of the department, are just about over it with Thornton. So, I figure I won't be too long before there is another big scandal.

No, I will not tell which department I am in, (it is one that gets a lot of student athletes). And No, I will not be giving out any proof of my position (I'd like to keep it). You can believe me or not.

You want to keep a position that supposedly requires you to work 21 hours for a total of $9 pay?

Thanks for your honest and heartfelt response!

Another one was when they took all the money from the athletic department and sent it to the academic side.

Athletic standards is not the reason Tennessee sucks now. Our athletic standards are on par with the other schools not named Vanderbilt. Tennessee sucks for one reason only, poor coaching hires.

While other schools were hiring Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Mark Rict and Les Miles, Tennessee was sitting on its thumbs. And then when it finally saw that UT's coach was beginning to get owned by these better hires then things got a whole lot worse as we made progressively worse and worse coaching hires.

Other programs became dominant because of coaching hires. Tennessee got worse because of coaching hires. It's really that simple.

Thanks for your honest and heartfelt response!
Thanks for reading, sorry just needed to get it off my chest and a message board where I have barely posted seemed safe enough. Honestly, I have had some great student athletes, some who have been among the brightest and most motivated.

I hope the next whistleblower is valuing their current quality of life and also has another career and city lined up for the next phase of their life if they choose to go through with said whistle blowing. I imagine life wouldn’t be the same for that person after taking a moral stance like that for the betterment of the University.

Thanks for reading, sorry just needed to get it off my chest and a message board where I have barely posted seemed safe enough. Honestly, I have had some great student athletes, some who have been among the brightest and most motivated.
Did not say they all were Dale Carter. Thanks for your post!

Our issues started when UGA (Richt), UF (Urban), USC (Holtz), Bama (Saban), and LSU (Saban, Miles) all spent big $$$ to hire coaches while we went shopping in the bargain bin...
True. Other changes may of made it harder but they always find a way around.
I know it’s not easier to get into Vandy but they have beaten us like a drum

Most already knew, others bury their head in the sand and believe the “UT is above “ BS

VN Store

Back