Third down efficiency - Ugggggg

Sure it isn't the case....But after Pruitt called out Chaney for throwing it 30 yards on 3rd and 4 against KY. When we were running it on 3rd and 8-10 against Bama my first thought was that's a big Frick You from Chaney to Pruitt.

Even Pruitt called out Chaney for throwing it 25 yards on 3rd and 3. He’s notorious for doing that crap, and he doesnt have the QB to pull it off. It’s why our 3rd down % blows
I wonder what the read progression on the play was.... if JG doesn't stare down the wr the play may have been successful and CJC is a genius again..

Not to beat a dead horse - Ok maybe to beat a dead horse but a team's and a quarterback's success on third down are pretty significant indicators of
how well the offense and the quarterback are executing and inversely how much time the defense is going to be on the field.

Here is the current SEC success or lack of success rate on third downs.

1. Texas A and M ---- 58.7 %
2. Alabama ---- 57.4
3. Ole Miss ---- 52.4
4. Auburn ---- 49.4
5. Florida ---- 48.8
6. Ga ---- 46.7
7. Ky ---- 45.1
8. Mo. ---- 42.1
9. SC ---- 40.6
10. Vandy ----39.0
11. LSU ---- 33.3
12. Miss St. ---- 32.5
13. Arky ---- 31.9
14. Tenn ---- 25.7

What are our takeaways here --- humm

1. There is absolutely no way that you can compete with teams that are completing twice as many third downs as you are.
2. Is this statistically worse that the Clawfense under Fulmer ?
3. Those numbers appear insanely bad, Fullfillmer can you check how many teams in all of college football are worse ?
4. With 4 or 5 5 stars among the starters on the offensive line and a couple of capable running backs, a newly better and reworked receiving core --- what is the common thread here that I'm missing ?
5. I am stopping, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, and I have an assignment above .......... but likeminded individuals feel free to weigh in and or add to. The stats don't lie - this is a whole nother shade of AWFUL imho.

97th out of 103 schools this season

Chaney seems to do illogical plays on 3rd down to catch the defense off guard and its caught up to him.

on 3rd and 3 everyone knows he'll probably throw it 15-20 yds. on 3rd and 18 he's probably gonna run a sweep or draw play. Both work 25.7% of the time.

Chaney will be gone, he'll then move on to another school and be successful as he's been most of his career.
Don't put this on Jim. Put it on Pruitt for trotting out the same limited field general week after week.

Reactions: davethevol
if you run between the tackles on your first two plays then have to throw in 3rd and long, its really easy to have a bad, bad 3rd down efficiency

Reactions: 37620VOL
The Clawfence was bad but at least the excuses of making a philosophical change in offense and breaking in a new QB held water.

This offense with a 5th year senior and a million dollar handpicked OC somehow seems worse.

The big issue is they could clean up the mistakes and it still wouldn't be on par with many offenses we see today.

How are we doing on converting on 4th down?

Would you rather:
Punt on 4th
Strip fumble on 3rd
or Pick six?

0 fear of JG running the ball. If JG had 5-8 running plays, other than qb sneaks, it would open up a hold new playbook.

Can’t run because they load the box or play down hill with JG in at qb. Because they play down hill you can’t call a 3 yard pass because they’ll jump the route. So maybe he was thinking that a 25 yard pass on third was the safest bet. Can’t forget he has a constant birds eye view of how the defense is playing.

Nailed it, also can't throw over the middle because of timing and accuracy issues.

Reactions: 1vol8
I realize it’s difficult for a true freshman to play QB in the SEC. And the development of HB has been slow because of the virus, etc.

But please. For crying out loud play him.
Look at Bo Nix. Played lasf year. Did okay and screwed up a lot. This year much much better.

Jg has been awful in every offensive coordinators system he’s played in.
Chaney has been either good or great with every qb he’s had not named Jarret Guarantano....
Yep. Fromm was great as a freshman and sophomore with Chaney, then stunk it up when Chaney left to come here. Chaney also got Peterman drafted. And made Crompton into a serviceable QB (with Kiffins help). I know Chaneys play calls can seem questionable at times, but I really think it’s our issues at QB that have his hands tied. And I’m not just talking JG. If we had someone that was clearly better, he’d be starting. So it’s the entire position IMO.

Not to beat a dead horse - Ok maybe to beat a dead horse but a team's and a quarterback's success on third down are pretty significant indicators of
how well the offense and the quarterback are executing and inversely how much time the defense is going to be on the field.

Here is the current SEC success or lack of success rate on third downs.

1. Texas A and M ---- 58.7 %
2. Alabama ---- 57.4
3. Ole Miss ---- 52.4
4. Auburn ---- 49.4
5. Florida ---- 48.8
6. Ga ---- 46.7
7. Ky ---- 45.1
8. Mo. ---- 42.1
9. SC ---- 40.6
10. Vandy ----39.0
11. LSU ---- 33.3
12. Miss St. ---- 32.5
13. Arky ---- 31.9
14. Tenn ---- 25.7

What are our takeaways here --- humm

1. There is absolutely no way that you can compete with teams that are completing twice as many third downs as you are.
2. Is this statistically worse that the Clawfense under Fulmer ?
3. Those numbers appear insanely bad, Fullfillmer can you check how many teams in all of college football are worse ?
4. With 4 or 5 5 stars among the starters on the offensive line and a couple of capable running backs, a newly better and reworked receiving core --- what is the common thread here that I'm missing ?
5. I am stopping, it's like shooting fish in a barrel, and I have an assignment above .......... but likeminded individuals feel free to weigh in and or add to. The stats don't lie - this is a whole nother shade of AWFUL imho.

Gonna be a lot of 3 & outs on Saturday.

We were 3rd last year. We are missing tough possession receivers and TEs. With JJ and MC we'd hit em time and time again at the sticks for 3rd down. Now we seem to want to do anything but. They need to just do it with BJ or Palmer...can't get any worse.

I get that we just played Georgia and Bama, but having a coach in his 3rd year there is zero excuse for being last in the SEC in 3rd downs.
You can't use Georgia and Alabama as an excuse. We were even worse than that season average when we played South Carolina in Week 1.

That's what happens when your dumb ass QB decides to check down to the guy closest to the LoS on third and long. Kid's an idiot and literally nothing will get better while he is the starter.

Ive been beating this drum since the last game vs. Bama. JG's achilles hill has always been 3rd downs. Its one reason he is not very good and is very inconsistent.

I’m not in the boat of criticism of Cheney because JG has been the common denominator of multiple OC changes. However I do think he needs to get more creative with misdirection plays. Especially in the red zone inside the 10. We just don’t know how limited he is with JG. The only one that does know is Cheney himself. But if playcalling is an indicator, it’s pretty bad

Hard to blame Chaney for all of it. Has to run a vanilla offense. JG hasn't developed. Who is in charge of development? Same guy developing the backups that we never see. I think Chaney is a proven winner, wherever he's been. For now it's a chinese fire drill over there. There very well may be a house cleaning after the season.

Reactions: 1vol8
Chaney seems to do illogical plays on 3rd down to catch the defense off guard and its caught up to him.

on 3rd and 3 everyone knows he'll probably throw it 15-20 yds. on 3rd and 18 he's probably gonna run a sweep or draw play. Both work 25.7% of the time.
Chaney like the rest of the O is limited by what JG cannot do. He does not burn blitzes. He does not throw well to the deep middle. He does not anticipate throws. He does not throw timing routes consistent or well.

Take those things away... you've shrunk your playbook obviously... but you don't just lose those plays. You lose any play that works off those plays. If you can't hit a slant on time in a tight window then RPO's aren't very useful. If you cannot hit the deep middle against man or cover 2 then the opponent can either cheat safety help to another receiver or else blitz without fear.

Chaney is calling the plays that his O can run. There are likely limitations other than JG... but he is the most significant one.

Hard to blame Chaney for all of it. Has to run a vanilla offense. JG hasn't developed. Who is in charge of development? Same guy developing the backups that we never see. I think Chaney is a proven winner, wherever he's been. For now it's a chinese fire drill over there. There very well may be a house cleaning after the season.
Probably... and it will not matter if Pruitt's decision making does not improve.

VN Store

Back