They're Sleeping

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Shhhh...

It's not yet time to wake them.

You and I, we are not normal. We are not average representatives of Vol Nation. We are a small minority who gravitate to places where we can talk Vols football (and the other sports) all year round. We are the hyperactive tip of the spear.

The average Vols fan, folks like many in my extended family and the community around here, your community too, probably, they're going through normal late spring rituals: finishing up school, thinking about finding a summer job, getting ready to PCS, carrying on with the day-to-day grind, enjoying retirement.

Football is not on their minds right now.

But in about three months, they are going to come roaring to life. They will wake up and start shouting. Shouting in Neyland Stadium. Shouting in Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings. In their living room. In their friend's living room. In the cab of that 18-wheeler rolling down the highway. In some god-forsaken desert halfway around the world.

Wherever they are, there will be some blood-curdling screaming going on. Hopefully in excitement. Once in a while, in pain.

Millions of raw, raging voices, cheering on our lads. It is always inspiring, and a little intimidating, to contemplate.

That's coming. It will be time to wake up soon.

I can't wait.

Go Vols!

Shhhh...

You and I, we are not normal. We are not average representatives of Vol Nation. We are a small minority who gravitate to places where we can talk Vols football (and the other sports) all year round. We are the hyperactive tip of the spear.

The average Vols fan, folks like many in my extended family and the community around here, your community too, probably, they're going through normal late spring rituals: finishing up school, thinking about finding a summer job, getting ready to PCS, carrying on with the day-to-day grind, enjoying retirement.

But in about three months, they are going to come roaring to life. They will wake up and start shouting. Shouting in Neyland Stadium. Shouting in Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings. In their living room. In their friend's living room. In the cab of that 18-wheeler rolling down the highway. In some god-forsaken desert halfway around the world.

Wherever they are, there will be some blood-curdling screaming going on. Hopefully in excitement. Once in a while, in pain.

Millions of raw, raging voices, cheering on our lads. It is always inspiring, and a little intimidating, to contemplate.

I can't wait.

Go Vols!

paul-atreides-dune.gif

giphy.gif

Shhhh...

I can't wait.

Go Vols!

Been training with Woodsmanvol? :)

Shhhh...
I can't wait.
Go Vols!

Shhhh...

I can't wait.

Go Vols!
We never sleep, my ftiend !!!

Still might be the 'sleeping giant" of college football but from 2008 to 2021 seasons the "sleeping giant" of college football was damn sure hibernating in a coma.....that's for sure....still yet to be determined how how "awakened" it is to......

Yes. While others sleep... we are the tip of the spear!

View attachment 552754
If you cut the spear about 3-4 inches under the ground, you will have the most tender spear possible. It is all white with either a pink or purple head. When I was a kid, we have an asparagus bed that was about 100 feet across that back of our garden. I would cut a couple of pounds and take it to the " White Store" and get some spending money every week during the Summers. I also did the same with Okra. It made working in the garden as a small child worth while. I still have a garden every year even though I am 84 years old.

Heh, the translators are working overtime to make the German sound more poetic than it is.

"Wachet auf" literally translates as "Wake up" or "Watch out". There are no "sleepers" mentioned, and using the somewhat more pretentious "awake" (or "awaken") is giving the title a poetry it doesn't have in the original. In fact, Goethe be damned, German isn't a very poetic language in any sense.

The dude who penned it did so during a run of the plague through Europe. I think he was trying to convince people to get to church, repent their sins, be ready at any moment to leave this mortal realm for judgment. He was rallying them, shouting at them, not gently nudging them out of slumber.

Given that, it fits well in this thread! Thanks for it, friend.

Go Vols!

Reactions: BruisedOrange

VN Store

Back