They were NOT going to let us win this game.

Both of these are true.
I wish players embraced the boring 10-15 ft pull up jumper in stead of floaters from that distance. Given the way PU was defending our pick and roll I think ZZ could have had 8-10 more pts if he had done that rather than the difficult floaters. He can get a step on just about anybody at will and made several really nice dimes that just weren't handled cleanly or finished. He could have really taken the pressure off of his cold 3 pt shooting if he had settled for the old boring pull. jmo

I just hate blaming refs. In any sport. There's too many opportunities to overcome a call that doesn't go your way. And we couldn't do that. We just needed 1 guy to step up and score 15-18 points. Everyone crumbled.
Watching Eric Cain Post game. He said Purdue was at the foul line 33 times and UT 11 times. Something rotten in Denmark, DETROIT. He said the refs just don't know what to do (all season) with a guy like Edey. 🤪

<https://twitter.com/CoachJimmyDykes
When Edey is allowed to be in the lane for 4,5,6,7,8,9 seconds… he is literally unguardable. It’s just a fact
16h
#Vols coach Rick Barnes on Zach Edey: He never leaves the paint. It's hard.
Depaul Coach: Chris Holtmann Says Three-Second Rule “Needs to Be Evaluated” After Matchup With Zach Edey and Purdue: “It’s Not a Rule That is Enforced”

It's less about that than maintaining regional interest. They need a Midwest/big 10 team in the final four. If you had three southern schools in it, you lose a lot of viewership. Now there's 4 conferences represented instead of 3 as well
The fix is in on all games where big money is on the line. I’ve been preaching this for years. I’m glad people are finally seeing the obvious .

Reactions: Volfan574
I want people to explain to me to draw a perfect gameplan to win an Elite Eight game down 22 free throw attempts
Have more than 2 people attempt more than 4 shots. Have to make shots to win. Have to attempt them to make them. Pretty simple gameplan.

as an retired official here's what I saw. And honestly, I quit counting after a while. Edey committed no less than 8 fouls, only one was called. He traveled minimum of 4 times, none called. 7 different times, he was in the lane more than 8 seconds. 5 times7 seconds, 12+_ times 6 seconds . Our misses when we needed them toward the end was definitely a factor, but I'm sick of the one sided officiating. although I havent heard Coach or any player mention this, but I honestly think Aidoo and maybe others (vescovi ) for sure were still under the weather. Vescovi just looked like his legs were gone, and I know from experience, being around someone with the Flu might have got a couple of them sick too. The fact we had to work hard with Creighton and Purdue had an easier game probably played some factor also. The legs were just a second behind it seemed. By the way, its not just our game. I've watched every Purdue game, its the same every game. I'm not sure why but he is definitely "protected" more than any big guy I've seen. I detest the idea of an agenda, but it sure looks like the fix is in and espn wants a Purdue and Uconn final ( for the ratings I'm sure) and it sure looks like the ncaa is complying with that wish. I guess we will see when Alabama plays Uconn and NC State with their big man plays Purdue.

as an retired official here's what I saw. And honestly, I quit counting after a while. Edey committed no less than 8 fouls, only one was called. He traveled minimum of 4 times, none called. 7 different times, he was in the lane more than 8 seconds. 5 times7 seconds, 12+_ times 6 seconds . Our misses when we needed them toward the end was definitely a factor, but I'm sick of the one sided officiating. although I havent heard Coach or any player mention this, but I honestly think Aidoo and maybe others (vescovi ) for sure were still under the weather. Vescovi just looked like his legs were gone, and I know from experience, being around someone with the Flu might have got a couple of them sick too. The fact we had to work hard with Creighton and Purdue had an easier game probably played some factor also. The legs were just a second behind it seemed. By the way, its not just our game. I've watched every Purdue game, its the same every game. I'm not sure why but he is definitely "protected" more than any big guy I've seen. I detest the idea of an agenda, but it sure looks like the fix is in and espn wants a Purdue and Uconn final ( for the ratings I'm sure) and it sure looks like the ncaa is complying with that wish. I guess we will see when Alabama plays Uconn and NC State with their big man plays Purdue.
ESPN has nothing to do with NCAA tournament

Knecht took almost every shot for the last 14 minutes or so. Hard for anybody else to score with that offensive scheme. James hit his only two threes; Gainey hit a couple. Get them some shots.
He was the only one with a decent chance of scoring. Could have been coaches scheme.

There is a way to stop the poor officiating, become President of the NCAA or the SEC or get enough power in this nation that you can influence those positions.

Edy draws 17 fouls and gets 1. What a travesty of officiating. Half were phantom fouls. I am totally disgusted.
That’s completely beside the point. Even with that poor shooting they only beat them by what, six points?
Purdue didn’t earn that win at all, it was given to them, plain and simple. And if that’s the only way they can win then I have no respect for them. What’s next, counting baskets good when they don’t go in?
I stand by my words. Edy is just a tall guy with very little athletic ability who gets to shoot free throws everytime someone breathes on him. Thats not basketball.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
He was the only one with a decent chance of scoring. Could have been coaches scheme.
Actually, that was my point. It was definitely a coaches scheme; James and Gainey had a decent chance of scoring in our regular offense; Knecht is better in our regular offense, which is part of why he went cold late (the other reason being he was fatigued). Went to "all-Knecht all the time" way too early.

VN Store

Back