There's a shift taking place...

aaronvol

and it is the emphasis on defense. If you look around the NCAA today it is clear that defense is more important this year than it has been in the last 5. I think Tennessee played good in 3 quarters on defense. If we are to truly get to where we want, we will need to continue to improve on D....like where we are.

and it is the emphasis on defense. If you look around the NCAA today it is clear that defense is more important this year than it has been in the last 5. I think Tennessee played good in 3 quarters on defense. If we are to truly get to where we want, we will need to continue to improve on D....like where we are.

I don't think there's much more emphasis. We have better development than the last 8 years and we have better depth by a mile compared to last year.

It is week 2.
Offenses improve as the season progresses.
I don't think defense will ever be more important unless there are major rules changes.

We were focused on our offense because we don't have the talent to beat people up with defense like the Alabama/Georgias of the world. We are trying to get there.

Defense has always been important.

Assuming this is based on Alabama playing Texas?

Emphasis is and will always be on offense.

I guess the exception was aTm where defense wasn't enough. Of course, you could say that App State brought the defense!

Defense and special teams have taken a back seat to the offenses of late, but you're correct. You need a great defense to win big games. Our defense played far better than I expected today. Saved our bacon for sure. We've got a solid QB and some very good WR's. Our OL and RB's are rather pedestrian IMO. Not sure what our run blocking scheme is supposed to be, but we aren't the most physical bunch. The RB room is where I'm most disappointed. Don't see a difference maker at that spot right now. Sampson has show flashes and might be the answer. We just need to have better and more consistent production from the running game. What did we have....100 yards rushing today? I know Pitt has a great DL, but is WV that much better in the OL and RB than we are? Apparently so. I'll say it again. Hooker takes enough punishment in the passing game. I don't want him running the ball 15 times in a game. Just asking for an injury.

Reactions: Doberman
Lol give these defensive folks one good weekend and all of sudden we going to party like it's the 1990's. Yes defense is still important don't get me wrong but college football is a offensive game and sooner or later you are going to be forced to put up a bunch of points just to win. I am not saying you guys are not important because you are very important but just know in today's game your not going to be as dominant as you once was.

Reactions: Sarms58
I think the defense played much better today. We had numerous QB hurries and pummeled their QBs. Take away the big run of 70+ and the run defense was pretty darn good. THe TD pass by Pitt to tie was an awesome play and catch. It appears our depth is indeed much better. Good win , GO VOLS

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Lol give these defensive folks one good weekend and all of sudden we going to party like it's the 1990's. Yes defense is still important don't get me wrong but college football is a offensive game and sooner or later you are going to be forced to put up a bunch of points just to win. I am not saying you guys are not important because you are very important but just know in today's game your not going to be as dominant as you once was.
I'm an offense guy my man. I am simply saying that this year (last year a bit too) we are seeing closer low scoring games. No one is trying to make this an O vs D conversation. I simply am noting this shift I perceive.

I think what you meant to say is Tennessee is playing head hunting defense. Ain’t no qb safe, NO NADA ONE!!!!!!

VN Store

Back