There may be no NCAA Tourney

main age group of the 4300 dead ?

Please correct me if you have evidence to the contrary, but what I've seen in this thread and elsewhere suggests a strong correlation between the dead and the population of WCBB fans.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
The lockdown was so effective that the virus spread globally during the lockdown. A reasonable person would question the effectiveness of a lockdown like that.

No, a reasonable person would take into account this thing called "time" and before and after relationships.

The virus started in China; that means that there were several weeks where people were exposed but not showing symptoms. Those people traveled to different places. Then there was another month or so when the Chinese govt. did not realize that they had a new strain of virus that was spreading. During that window, people traveled to and from China. So, the virus was well established by in "time" BEFORE these containment policies were put in place and then AFTER the rates of infection began to steadily decline.

Let's extend your logic a bit. Imagine there is a barn with 500 cattle in it. Someone leaves the barn door open and 200 cattle run out into the field; an alerted worker then rushes over to close the door, keeping the remain 300 cattle corralled. But the boss (someone thinking like you) saunters over and points to all the cows in the field and says " well, a reasonable would question the effectiveness of closing the barn door." I humbly suggest that "reasonable" is the wrong adjective in this case.

Last edited:
What does it matter? Its like saying I have cancer and diabetes and since I can't cure the cancer, I'm not going to treat the diabetes. I happen to work in a respiratory critical care unit (yep, I'm screwed!) and as one of our pulmonary docs said, its precisely because the flu is so bad every year that we cannot let this virus get out of hand. We are stretched to the max for beds, vents, and nurses already and would have to start choosing who to pull from the vent with even a 10 or 20% increase patients from this virus. Hello rationed care. The fact there's no vaccine yet also makes it very scary.

I am beyond furious that some pols are actually against giving paid sick leave for symptomatic hourly workers (thanks numb nuts Lamar Alexander) but sure to offer huge bailouts to airlines, cruise lines, etc. Because clearly sick restaurant workers need to keep going to work, right? Anyone feeling better now that travel from Europe is banned, except from the UK whose Health Minister just tested positive? Stable genius.

OTOH, if this is all over reaction, which I admit it sometimes feels like, that is the scariest thing ever. Shows how groupthink and mass brainwashing can happen. On a frivolous note, I cannot imagine a tourney with squeaky sneakers and coaches yelling at refs as the only noise. Of course as someone pointed out earlier, at many of the women's early tourney venues you'll hardly notice the difference sadly.

Last edited:
No, a reasonable person would take into account this thing called "time" and before and after relationships.

The virus started in China; that means that there were several weeks where people were exposed but not showing symptoms. Those people traveled to different places. Then there was another month or so when the Chinese govt. did not realize that they had a new strain of virus that was spreading. During that window, people traveled to and from China. So, the virus was well established by in "time" BEFORE these containment policies were put in place and then AFTER the rates of infection began to steadily decline.

Let's extend your logic a bit. Imagine there is a barn with 500 cattle in it. Someone leaves the barn door open and 200 cattle run out into the field; an alerted worker then rushes over to close the door, keeping the remain 300 cattle corralled. But the boss (someone thinking like you) saunters over and points to all the cows in the field and says " well, a reasonable would question the effectiveness of closing the barn door." I humbly suggest that "reasonable" is the wrong adjective in this case.

What does 'Close the stable door after the horse has bolted' mean?
If people try to fix something after the problem has occurred, they are trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. 'Close the barn door after the horse has bolted' is alternative, often used in American English.

What does it matter? Its like saying I have cancer and diabetes and since I can't cure the cancer, I'm not going to treat the diabetes. I happen to work in a respiratory critical care unit (yep, I'm screwed!) and as one of our pulmonary docs said, its precisely because the flu is so bad every year that we cannot let this virus get out of hand. We are stretched to the max for beds, vents, and nurses already and would have to start choosing who to pull from the vent with even a 10 or 20% increase patients from this virus. Hello rationed care. The fact there's no vaccine yet also makes it very scary.

I am beyond furious that some pols are actually against giving paid sick leave for symptomatic hourly workers (thanks numb nuts Lamar Alexander) but sure to offer huge bailouts to airlines, cruise lines, etc. Because clearly sick restaurant workers need to keep going to work, right? Anyone feeling better now that travel from Europe is banned, except from the UK whose Health Minister just tested positive? Stable genius.

OTOH, if this is all over reaction, which I admit it sometimes feels like, that is the scariest thing ever. Shows how groupthink and mass brainwashing can happen. On a frivolous note, I cannot imagine a tourney with squeaky sneakers and coaches yelling at refs as the only noise. Of course as someone pointed out earlier, at many of the women's early tourney venues you'll hardly notice the difference sadly.
Please do not report this post for political content! This poster is on the front lines and brings important information and perspective. Toughen up just a bit.

What does 'Close the stable door after the horse has bolted' mean?
If people try to fix something after the problem has occurred, they are trying to close the stable door after the horse has bolted. 'Close the barn door after the horse has bolted' is alternative, often used in American English.

I know the phrase but that was clearly not my analogy. My analogy was closing the door before the majority of the animal's had escaped. While deflecting from the issue at hand with an irrelevant what-aboutism is a Fox news mainstay, it's still illogical. Stay well.

Last edited:
SEC Tournament cancelled and looking quite likely that all spring sports competition will be cancelled. Looks like Tennessee is through for the season with basketball and now we wait to see if there will be an NCAA Tourney.

I know the phrase that was clearly not my analogy. My analogy was closing the door before the majority of the animal's had escaped. While deflecting from the issue at hand with an irrelevant what-aboutism is a Fox new mainstay, its still illogical. Stay well
Think dude, think. The same people traveling in china as tourists also would have traveled to other parts of china before the lockdown. But while new cases are spreading worldwide, new cases in China are statistically nil. If they traveled the world before the lockdown and it spread here, why did the same not happen in China before the lockdown?

Do you understand the point? If the new cases we see now are the result people infected before the lockdown why was there not more widespread cases inside other areas of china? Areas not under a lockdown? The virus hit during chinese new year when the majority on in country travel happens and the virus was already spreading before the lockdown, during heavy travel but the rest of China was spared? That makes no sense.

Think dude, think.

The virus hit during chinese new year when the majority on in country travel happens and the virus was already spreading before the lockdown, during heavy travel but the rest of China was spared? That makes no sense.

Correct. It makes no sense.

Given the history of the Chinese government in regard to publishing news that might cause unrest, or cast it in a bad light, do you consider the possibility that
the number of reported new cases and the number of actual new cases in China may not be equal? Sort of like a certain American very high official telling us that everything is ok...?

The capacity of the trumpenproletareit to ignore the obvious is proof of merkin
ekscepshunalism.

Reactions: stllvf
Well, if the tournament is cancelled, Ole Miss will have the last laugh by claiming their share of the national title.

People should be able to make their own decisions but like in most things, people don't care until it affects them. Don't be the one who loses a loved one or your own life because you didn't take this virus seriously.
Oh please....

An article from NY Times (which I do NOT subscribe to):

“Which virus makes you sicker?

As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, according to the C.D.C. Hospitalization rates among children and young adults this year have been unusually high.

There would be even more illnesses and deaths if there were no flu vaccine. Most people recover in less than two weeks, and sometimes in just days.

By contrast, about 200 people in the United States have been infected with the new coronavirus, and there have been at least 12 deaths. There are no treatments or vaccines for the coronavirus, only supportive care for infected people.

Most cases of coronavirus infection are not severe, but some people do become quite sick. Data from the largest study of patients to date, conducted in China, suggests that of coronavirus patients receiving medical attention, 80 percent had mild infections, about 15 percent had severe illnesses, and 5 percent were critical.”

So, we have 18,000 flu deaths, and 12 coronavirus deaths (mostly in people over age 80), and the stock market is tanking, hm, wonder why.
Jeff Dahmer are more people than that!

An article from NY Times (which I do NOT subscribe to):

“Which virus makes you sicker?

As of Feb. 22, in the current season there were at least 32 million cases of flu in the United States, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 flu deaths, according to the C.D.C. Hospitalization rates among children and young adults this year have been unusually high.

There would be even more illnesses and deaths if there were no flu vaccine. Most people recover in less than two weeks, and sometimes in just days.

By contrast, about 200 people in the United States have been infected with the new coronavirus, and there have been at least 12 deaths. There are no treatments or vaccines for the coronavirus, only supportive care for infected people.

Most cases of coronavirus infection are not severe, but some people do become quite sick. Data from the largest study of patients to date, conducted in China, suggests that of coronavirus patients receiving medical attention, 80 percent had mild infections, about 15 percent had severe illnesses, and 5 percent were critical.”

So, we have 18,000 flu deaths, and 12 coronavirus deaths (mostly in people over age 80), and the stock market is tanking, hm, wonder why.
Jeff Dahmer are more people than that!
The governor of Ohio has banned fans from attending NCAA Tourney games. This affects the men's games at Dayton and 2nd round games in Cleveland. TV crews etc are allowed. Should be interesting.
That's government infringement on personal rights! Anyone see the big picture here!!!???

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Think dude, think. The same people traveling in china as tourists also would have traveled to other parts of china before the lockdown. But while new cases are spreading worldwide, new cases in China are statistically nil. If they traveled the world before the lockdown and it spread here, why did the same not happen in China before the lockdown?

Do you understand the point? If the new cases we see now are the result people infected before the lockdown why was there not more widespread cases inside other areas of china? Areas not under a lockdown? The virus hit during chinese new year when the majority on in country travel happens and the virus was already spreading before the lockdown, during heavy travel but the rest of China was spared? That makes no sense.

I have your post 10 times and it is baffling.

Your original premise was that the Chinese response was ineffective --- "The lockdown was so effective that the virus spread globally during the lockdown. A reasonable person would question the effectiveness of a lockdown like that."

And then you ask, "why did the virus not further in China, huh tell me that? as though you stumbled on to some grand contradiction.

The virus did not spread in China because their preventive actions--social distancing, doubling down on hygeine, more testing and quarantining--freakin' worked!!!!!!

The purpose of the lockdown in the Wuhan provice (the epicenter of the Chinese epidemic) and a huge public health initiative that was implemented across the entire country was designed to contain the virus in China. The actions by Chinese public health authorities cannot impact what happens in Italy, Iraq, Hong Kong, Spain, Germany the US. And it only takes a few infected individuals to seed an outbreak in a country with a virus that is highly contagious, via the principle of geometric progression; if you can break the process of geometric progression,
you can contain the virus, which needs a host to survive.

And in each of those other outbreak areas, different countries responded with different levels of urgency. Italy basically ignored the threat until they hit a crisis point. Germany responded much more quickly and has had fewer cases.

Rather than trying to invent "gotcha scenarios" to some how support the idea that everything is just hunky dory, you could you know actually read information about how the virus spread in different areas and how it has been contained, like in this interview with an epidemiologist from the WHO:

China’s cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back