There may be no NCAA Tourney

ocoandasoc

At the rate the virus is spreading and the level of panic/concern in many states, we may see the Tourney cancelled or the games played mostly in empty gyms.

County regulations that were just announced will probably prevent Stanford from hosting. There are 15 other first round sites and I think its likely that the state of emergencies and local/state health officials will have a say on what is allowed. And this is moving so fast that just trying to move sites probably won't work.

ESPN needs to step up. They will be televising every game of the womens tourney and could do it even if the gyms were empty. They could make the whole tourney like the NIT using available sites -- higher seed is the home team. They should be working on this right now. The men's tourney could be handled the same way by the broadcast networks.

Sure, it will be a shame for seniors on good teams to be denied the chance to compete for a championship. And for fans to miss seeing their favorite players perform. But, jeez, saving lives has got to take precedence.

Play the games for a TV audience only. And start making the arrangements today. That's my advice.

My advice is to quit panicking and play the games as scheduled. Let people decide if they want to attend or not.
I just got off cruise ship Sunday - no one sick - everyone had a good time - some would decide to cancel, I decided to go and would go back. Have heard that a few have tested positive for FLU since been home, which is a much bigger threat.

My advice is to quit panicking and play the games as scheduled. Let people decide if they want to attend or not.
I just got off cruise ship Sunday - no one sick - everyone had a good time - some would decide to cancel, I decided to go and would go back. Have heard that a few have tested positive for FLU since been home, which is a much bigger threat.
Too much overreacting. Swine bird, Russian flu, legionnairre disease, ad nauseam. :rolleyes:

At the rate the virus is spreading and the level of panic/concern in many states, we may see the Tourney cancelled or the games played mostly in empty gyms.

County regulations that were just announced will probably prevent Stanford from hosting. There are 15 other first round sites and I think its likely that the state of emergencies and local/state health officials will have a say on what is allowed. And this is moving so fast that just trying to move sites probably won't work.

ESPN needs to step up. They will be televising every game of the womens tourney and could do it even if the gyms were empty. They could make the whole tourney like the NIT using available sites -- higher seed is the home team. They should be working on this right now. The men's tourney could be handled the same way by the broadcast networks.

Sure, it will be a shame for seniors on good teams to be denied the chance to compete for a championship. And for fans to miss seeing their favorite players perform. But, jeez, saving lives has got to take precedence.

Play the games for a TV audience only. And start making the arrangements today. That's my advice.
Wow!!! Good advice also.

th

1) The Santa Clara County regulations do not say Stanford can't host. It just says they can't have a gathering of over 1,000 people. You are crazy if you think Stanford is giving up those games just because fans can't be there.

2) ESPN DGAF if people are at the games or not. They make money off tv viewers.

Reactions: orangealways
Play the games. I just got off a cruise ship out of New Orleans 7 days. Didn’t hear of anyone sick. Just wash your hands. They had hand Sanitizer everywhere. They made us use it before entering the Dining room. They could do the same at the games. As always go Lady Vols.

I am concerned about catching the virus- I'm in the 'at risk' group, but I am much more concerned about inadvertently infecting someone else. Heavy burden to bear. Really having a family discussion about the O&W game.

-
Hang in there, sorry this is a worry for you.

Reactions: flint
I believe virus has spend way further than we are told, which by the way, is what they are actually saying. Containment is no longer possible is lastest from CDC line. I haven't been in any public place where coughing, and sneezing is not widely present in East TN. Plus, it is extremely transmittable, habd sanitizer is not effective for airbourne virus, that is mutating, and becoming more deadly. Crisis is real, but games should be played in places assigned, people will get it, or they won't. Just hopes it doesn't effect players. Davis didn't seem at peak in SEC. Hopefully she has fully, or can rest, to be fully recovered from flu.

Whoever told you flu is a much bigger threat is lying to you.

Have you noticed nothing that makes money for the big corporations is shutting down? The NCAA Tournament will be played. Too much money involved.

Too much overreacting. Swine bird, Russian flu, legionnairre disease, ad nauseam. :rolleyes:
People should have the opportunity to make informed decisions. Some people are more informed than others. Maybe you should learn a little more about the epidemiology of these diseases before expressing uninformed opinions.

This is an excellent explainer of exponential growth:

The problem is we have no idea about the incidence of this virus. Test kits are just now being distributed to the public and private sectors. Remember that the CDC's budget for these activeties has been reduced by at least half in the last three years, I realize that about 8.5 billion s was just funded to catch up on what had been eliminated in the cuts but it is unclear where these new monies will be used. It seems that this may be the case of too little too late. One would think that something would have been learned when the same thing happened when the AIDS virus first hit the scene.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and lvocd

VN Store

Back