There are no redwolves in washington dc.

Meh Red Hogs and Red Wolves sounds too mid major college to me. Defenders would work but they'd have to buy out the XFL name I'd think. Commanders is ok, Brigade would work, Armada....decent.

How about pull a Cleveland and just change a few letters and be the Deadskins. Work in either a zombie mascot or a Grateful Dead tie in.
Couldn't that kinda be construed like you killed the Redskins and be seen as more offensive than Redskins?

Meh Red Hogs and Red Wolves sounds too mid major college to me. Defenders would work but they'd have to buy out the XFL name I'd think. Commanders is ok, Brigade would work, Armada....decent.

How about pull a Cleveland and just change a few letters and be the Deadskins. Work in either a zombie mascot or a Grateful Dead tie in.
866189B3-2883-450A-AF78-7AD9A6E77789.jpeg

Eh, I'm going to cut some slack for teams that moved. The Jazz started in NO (perfectly suitable name at the time) and the Grizzlies started in Vancouver which makes a lot more sense.

The Bengals OTOH...

Why, tho? There is nothing compelling them to keep a name that has no regional significance. It was dumb and lazy to keep calling them the Jazz. I kinda get it with the Lakers because they already had championships, but Grizzlies and Jazz were dogshit franchises that needed rebranding.

Why, tho? There is nothing compelling them to keep a name that has no regional significance. It was dumb and lazy to keep calling them the Jazz. I kinda get it with the Lakers because they already had championships, but Grizzlies and Jazz were dogshit franchises that needed rebranding.

The Jazz keeping their name after moving to Utah is a grave miscarriage of justice.

I like Red Hogs. I’d be fine with Red Wolves. Redtails is the still the best option and would buy him some good graces but for some reason Synder seems to not like it.

Reactions: vader

They didn't want to rebrand. The "why" you'd have to take up with people involved. I was merely pointing out that moving a franchise and keeping a name is a different animal than starting with a name that might strike one as nonsensical from the outset.

They didn't want to rebrand. The "why" you'd have to take up with people involved. I was merely pointing out that moving a franchise and keeping a name is a different animal than starting with a name that might strike one as nonsensical from the outset.

I'm asking why you think it's qualitatively different? You have the perfect opportunity to change the name. There is no reason whatsoever to accept the default, unless it's a storied franchise or has regional significance for the new location, too. I'm just asking for any other reason to keep it that makes this a "different animal".

They should just drop the nickname and go with Washington. The state of Washington ain't getting another team, ever, so there would be no confusion.
But if you want something that strikes fear in the opponent's heart...Washington Bureaucrats .

I'm asking why you think it's qualitatively different? You have the perfect opportunity to change the name. There is no reason whatsoever to accept the default, unless it's a storied franchise or has regional significance for the new location, too. I'm just asking for any other reason to keep it that makes this a "different animal".

Damn dude...the team HAS a name already. For all I know they didn't want to change their freaking letterhead. I'm pointing out I "get it" more when (for instance) a team stays the Jazz after being the Jazz in Utah than I would if the team was brand new and called themselves the Jazz there.

Damn dude...the team HAS a name already. For all I know they didn't want to change their freaking letterhead. I'm pointing out I "get it" more when (for instance) a team stays the Jazz after being the Jazz in Utah than I would if the team was brand new and called themselves the Jazz there.

So no good reason. Thanks

Cost probably had something to do with it for the Jazz, as it was before the NBA made good money. Grizzlies move was like 2002.

So no good reason. Thanks

Cost probably had something to do with it for the Jazz, as it was before the NBA made good money. Grizzlies move was like 2002.

My original comment was not one jot more than the observation that some team names traveled with said team from somewhere else which changes the context of how Team X arrived at having a name that might not seem geographically intuitive. Why are you asking me about "their" good reasons at all? Whatever reasons they had were obviously sufficient for them and certainly weren't beholding to your "they should have changed their branding" take.

If you're genuinely that wired up about it quit asking me and go to the source and maybe come back and inform the board.

Contact Us

Grizzlies Contact Us

Reactions: Vol49er
My original comment was not one jot more than the observation that some team names traveled with said team from somewhere else which changes the context of how Team X arrived at having a name that might not seem geographically intuitive. Why are you asking me about "their" good reasons at all? Whatever reasons they had were obviously sufficient for them and certainly weren't beholding to your "they should have changed their branding" take.

If you're genuinely that wired up about it quit asking me and go to the source and maybe come back and inform the board.

Contact Us

Grizzlies Contact Us

Why do you think I'm wired? You're the one saying "damn dude" and using all caps to drive home a point. I'm just asking questions.

Hey @Vol49er if you ever lose your team, does the next city get a pass for keeping it 49ers when that would make no sense for them?

Why do you think I'm wired? You're the one saying "damn dude" and using all caps to drive home a point. I'm just asking questions.

Hey @Vol49er if you ever lose your team, does the next city get a pass for keeping it 49ers when that would make no sense for them?
I didnt get my connection to the 49ers through living in San Francisco, so I would stay a fan of the team and hope they keep the same name. I am a Grizzlies fan in Memphis and I am glad they kept the connection to Vancouver and if they were to move (always a chance), I would want them to keep the name because I would still root for them. Others could reasonably feel different, but I think the reason(s) for keeping the name are fairly obvious

I didnt get my connection to the 49ers through living in San Francisco, so I would stay a fan of the team and hope they keep the same name. I am a Grizzlies fan in Memphis and I am glad they kept the connection to Vancouver and if they were to move (always a chance), I would want them to keep the name because I would still root for them. Others could reasonably feel different, but I think the reason(s) for keeping the name are fairly obvious

That backfired and I'm speechless.

The only thing trying to be driven home is why I'm repeatedly being asked to explain the "why" part of

My original comment was not one jot more than the observation that some team names traveled with said team from somewhere else which changes the context of how Team X arrived at having a name that might not seem geographically intuitive.

It's a fact that there are teams that have names that might not seem to suit the location. It makes a good deal more sense if that name traveled from somewhere else where it did make sense. If the franchises not rebranding to suit your sensibilities offends you and you want an explanation please contact the relevant people (not me) to inquire.

It's a fact that there are teams that have names that might not seem to suit the location. It makes a good deal more sense if that name traveled from somewhere else where it did make sense. If the franchises not rebranding to suit your sensibilities offends you and you want an explanation please contact the relevant people (not me) to inquire.

You are the one who said it's a different animal which is why I asked you why it is (which I deeply, sincerely regret). The "relevant people" didn't say it. You did. In behavioral economics there is the idea that there is a bias towards the default. I guess this is a case study. The name doesn't have to make sense. It was already the name so why change it to something that makes sense, right? I'm ready to move on with my life, tho. Cheers.

You are the one who said it's a different animal which is why I asked you why it is (which I deeply, sincerely regret). The "relevant people" didn't say it. You did. In behavioral economics there is the idea that there is a bias towards the default. I guess this is a case study. The name doesn't have to make sense. It was already the name so why change it to something that makes sense, right? I'm ready to move on with my life, tho. Cheers.

OMG.

Location A has a sports team that is named in such a way that seems incongruous to that location. Why? Undetermined with only the supplied information. Maybe the owner is weird.

Location B has a sports team that is named in such a way that seems incongruous to that location. Why? The franchise moved and brought the name with them.

Different...f'ing...animal.

That's where I was stopped. I neither know nor care what "compelling reason" those in the franchises cited (or any others for that matter) had regarding their post move branding. The thing I've done from the outset is point out there's a contextual difference how locations A and B wound up with teams named as they were with not a word (outside an obvious joke about letterhead) about any aspect of why the franchises kept their names post move. In some feverish inference on your part did you actually think I was arguing a justification for not rebranding? If so please revisit the posts and not read more into them than what was said.

OMG.

Location A has a sports team that is named in such a way that seems incongruous to that location. Why? Undetermined with only the supplied information. Maybe the owner is weird.

Location B has a sports team that is named in such a way that seems incongruous to that location. Why? The franchise moved and brought the name with them.

Different...f'ing...animal.

That's where I was stopped. I neither know nor care what "compelling reason" those in the franchises cited (or any others for that matter) had regarding their post move branding. The thing I've done from the outset is point out there's a contextual difference how locations A and B wound up with teams named as they were with not a word (outside an obvious joke about letterhead) about any aspect of why the franchises kept their names post move. In some feverish inference on your part did you actually think I was arguing a justification for not rebranding? If so please revisit the posts and not read more into them than what was said.
Huff likes to argue, just let it go.

I think it depends on the nickname. I didn't want Oilers in Nashville because that nickname made no sense to me here. It made perfect sense in Texas. I do think Jazz in Utah and Lakers in LA made no sense, especially when I found out the Lakers started in Minnesota where it made sense. But Los Angeles Lakers rolls off the tongue too.

But names like the Grizzlies, even though it made way more sense in Vancouver than Memphis I didn't mind them keeping it.

VN Store

Back