The WTF story of the Day

People and vehicles fall into water as Baltimore bridge collapses after being hit by ship — Sky News

One has to wonder about liability, given that two pilots were aboard (were they arguing with each other while the ship aimed directly for a bridge support?).

I just read about that incident in the WSJ. Hopefully those who fell into the water as a result of the collapse were able yo be rescued, however I can't help but think of the factors working against rescue efforts (response time, water temp, distance of the fall, etc).

Liability-wise, that is a great question. Is it the shipping company only carrying insurance, or do the captain/pilots have policy coverage as well (I ask, not knowing the whether they're independent contractors of a sort, or full-on company employees)?

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Replacing that bridge is a half-$billion+ in today’s economy. Then, there’s the liability for those who were on the bridge. I wonder if news coverage will include this aspect of the story.

Reactions: JCHateSteve and tbh
I just read about that incident in the WSJ. Hopefully those who fell into the water as a result of the collapse were able yo be rescued, however I can't help but think of the factors working against rescue efforts (response time, water temp, distance of the fall, etc).

Liability-wise, that is a great question. Is it the shipping company only carrying insurance, or do the captain/pilots have policy coverage as well (I ask, not knowing the whether they're independent contractors of a sort, or full-on company employees)?
We,ve been on cruise ships, and it is common to pick up a local pilot at sea to navigate the ship when entering a port.

Are the pilots employed by the port authority? Independent contractors? This is part of the questions to be answered.

Reactions: tbh
People and vehicles fall into water as Baltimore bridge collapses after being hit by ship — Sky News

One has to wonder about liability, given that two pilots were aboard (were they arguing with each other while the ship aimed directly for a bridge support?).
From the link (my highlights):

Data from MarineTraffic showed the Singapore-flagged ship came to a halt at the bridge before two tug boats arrived at the scene.

CCTV and marine tracking data shows the Dali lose power, adjust its course and start smoking around 60 seconds before it hits the bridge.

Data from MarineTraffic showed the Singapore-flagged ship came to a halt at the bridge before two tug boats arrived at the scene.

CCTV and marine tracking data shows the Dali lose power, adjust its course and start smoking around 60 seconds before it hits the bridge.
Film on TV news shows the ship going dark.

Reactions: VolNExile

So, the liability is that of the ship’s owners?

Good video here. They seem to have lost control of the ship. There's a power failure onboard about 30 seconds in but it's clearly turning hard into the bridge before that. I just figure the power failure didn't help. Collision around 2:35.

Prior to this video I saw some info on another site that there was a previous power failure visible from this same camera but it's before this video.

Last edited:
Good video here. They seem to have lost control of the ship. There's a power failure onboard about 30 seconds in but it's clearly turning hard into the bridge before that. I just figure the power failure didn't help. Collision around 2:35.

Prior to this video I saw some info on another site that there was a previous power failure visible from this same camera but it's before this video.

This morning said there was a call from the ship pilots saying they lost power and control. Also said it could take 5-10 years to rebuild bridge. In WWII, ceebees could do it in 2 weeks.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
That is definitely not a simple bridge to build. That's for sure. There's no "emergency" version of that bridge.

I saw a decent video on youtube saying that after an earlier power failure they might have restarted main power as quickly as possible and reversed, and the act of reversing might have been what twisted it out of the channel. It turned hard during the period between the two power failures. I guess at some point the crew will have to say something about what they did.

My dad always said crashes had to be perfectly timed or else you'd miss. In this case it was just perfectly aimed. It sure looked like doing nothing would have been better. You can't blame them for trying, I guess.

Something is just flat out wrong with people and it isn't a medical excuse. Public hangings might straighten it out. The problem is there are zero consequences for this crap in some places.
That's what happens we have a legal system instead of a justice system

VN Store

Back