The worst program choke ever

Our play calling sucked all around and we never adjusted to an absolutely pedestrian SC team. Stupid towels and 2000 era EDM broke us. If that’s all it takes we didn’t have it to begin with.

We’ve had no games with high enough stakes to even be able to choke in 20 years. So there is that….

No one expected this team this season. So to say it sets us back, is a joke.
Maybe you’re right. Our record is better than anyone could’ve rightfully expected. This loss is just so bad it damn near negates everything else. I’m just really disappointed right now. Time will tell, I suppose.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I just hate to see it end for Hooker this way. No Heisman. Doubt he even gets an invite after tonight. His career at Tennessee ends with a blowout loss to the Cocks…
Last time I checked he was not on the defensive roster. He could have played better, YES. But he didn’t choke. 25/42 with 3 TDs and No INTs.
I know optics matters but Hooker did not have an awful game. Our D played horrible.

Defense has been terrible at times this year. Every QB had a career game against us. Unfortunately the offense could feel all the pressure on their shoulders and tried pushing too much. Can't be perfect every game.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That LSU team was pretty good.

South Carolina, not so much.

This is it. #5:team in the country embarrassed by a joke of a team coached by a joke of a coach. QB lost for rest of season most likely. Rest of the season doesn't matter now really? We could very well lose to Vandy next week. Lose the bowl and we're exactly what we thought going into the season-a 4 loss team. Average.

I learned a big lesson tonight which I allowed myself to forget this year. Never trust the Vols not to screw it up. It's as certain as death and taxes

Possible national championship -gone.
Possibly heisman winner - gone
Listening to the media again because they didn’t learn anything from losing to Georgia!
Defense sucks & they will lose to Vandy.

The worst

No way, not the worst. 2001 SEC Title game was much worse. We had a much better and more talented team than this one--and lost in that stupid Atlanta dome--where we NEVER played well--to an LSU team that was forced to play its backup QB. This was bad--but that was worse as that was a hugely talented Vol team.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
That LSU team was pretty good.

South Carolina, not so much.

This is it. #5:team in the country embarrassed by a joke of a team coached by a joke of a coach. QB lost for rest of season most likely. Rest of the season doesn't matter now really? We could very well lose to Vandy next week. Lose the bowl and we're exactly what we thought going into the season-a 4 loss team. Average.

I learned a big lesson tonight which I allowed myself to forget this year. Never trust the Vols not to screw it up. It's as certain as death and taxes

That 2001 LSU team was playing its backup QB. I can't remember if he started the game or came in for an injured starter--but he played all or most of the second half, as I recall, and simply ran a lot, and we couldn't stop him and played terribly. That team had Stallworth--who lost a key fumble in that game--Washington, Stephens at RB, Witten, outstanding offensive and defensive lines.

The worst

Bigger than the choke in the SEC championship game of 2001? With the national championship game on the line? I'm not saying it isn't bad but I don't think it's the worse. I'd say Arkansas in 99 was bigger. South Carolina in 92 with the sec east on the line all were bigger with WAY better defenses.

I think some people need to learn the hard lesson of not allowing something you can’t control consume you. Unless you play for the team or are on staff in some capacity, what good is it to let this affect your wellbeing?

I wish I had learned this earlier. The sun will come up tomorrow.

We lose when the SEC east was on the line, and tonight with playoffs on the line. We thought we were a shoe in for the playoffs and totally crapped the bed. I feel so beat down and deflated right now I don’t know what else to say

VN Store

Back