The Worst is Yet to Come (long)

albedo33

When Tennessee suffers a humiliating loss like the one last Saturday, the response here on VN is predictable – first, hysteria; then come the sunshine pumpers. They offer up 35 different and imaginative excuses to explain how, despite the Ga. St. debacle, Pruitt is still the man who will make UT football relevant again.

History says otherwise. Like all schools, Tennessee has had embarrassing upset losses like this in the past. They always foretold that the head coach would soon get his walking papers. Examples: in 1958, two years after posting an undefeated regular season, HC Bowden Wyatt’s Vols lost to Chattanooga. It was the beginning of the end for Coach Wyatt. He was shown the door after the 1962 season.

During Bill Battle’s first 3 years as HC, 1970–72, the Vols went 31-5. In 1975 UT managed to lose to North Texas State. Battle was gone after the ‘76 season.

Johnny Majors was a homegrown hero – Heisman runner-up in 1956, winner of several SEC championships during his tenure as HC of the Vols. But in 1992, he had heart surgery. UT began the season with an interim HC named Philip Fulmer. Coach Majors returned after 3 games. His Vols won the next 2 games but then, ranked #4 in the country, were upset by Arkansas and later South Carolina, neither of whom posted a winning record that year. At the end of the season it was adios, Johnny.

Fulmer in turn won a NC as UT’s HC and is second only to Gen. Neyland in career wins as HC. But the Vols began to fade in the early 2000s and lost to Wyoming in 2008. A month later Fulmer was out of a job.

Finally, in 2011 Kentucky, without even playing their QB, upset HC Derek Dooley’s Vols. Dooley lasted through 2012 but after Kentucky everyone knew he was a dead man walking.

Now Tennessee finds itself saddled with a $4M/yr HC, not very bright, easily out-coached by most opponents. He has shown zero ability to hire SEC-caliber assistants (Ainsley and last year, Helton); even worse, zero ability to motivate players. As we saw in his post-game press conference, he really doesn’t give a damn. I suppose he’s just killing time until he can cash that fat buyout check.

[As an aside, I do not believe Pruitt is an “Alabama plant.” However, I have no trouble believing that Nick Saban realized Pruitt would fail at UT because he lacked intelligence and experience. And that Saban is quite happy to see Alabama’s oldest and bitterest rival continue to flounder.]

The situation seems dire. In fact, I believe it is actually worse than all but the most pessimistic Vol fans realize. History tells us that Pruitt will soon be gone. The man who will hire the next UT coach is AD Philip Fulmer, who during his entire career has shown very poor judgment when it comes to hiring coaches.

I have always thought that much of HC Fulmer’s success during UT’s glory years of the 1990s was because he inherited from Johnny Majors two of the best assistant coaches in America – OC David Cutcliffe and DC John Chavis. When Coach Cut left, Fulmer’s hires (e.g., Randy Sanders and the infamous Dave Clawson) were inferior, exposing his weakness as a coach.

Fulmer can now add Pruitt’s name to his list of failed coaching hires. Will he pick a winner the second time around? Highly doubtful. So, as bad as UT football has been for over a decade, I believe the worst is yet to come. We have an incompetent HC and an AD who, despite being a good and decent man who bleeds UT Orange, cannot for the life of him hire a quality football coach.

As can be seen, I have been a fan of UT football for a long time – over 60 years, in fact. I’ve seen the highs and lows. Now, with a HC who doesn’t give a damn and a clueless AD, I see no light at the end of this tunnel. The worst is yet to come.

When Tennessee suffers a humiliating loss like the one last Saturday, the response here on VN is predictable – first, hysteria; then come the sunshine pumpers. They offer up 35 different and imaginative excuses to explain how, despite the Ga. St. debacle, Pruitt is still the man who will make UT football relevant again.

History says otherwise. Like all schools, Tennessee has had embarrassing upset losses like this in the past. They always foretold that the head coach would soon get his walking papers. Examples: in 1958, two years after posting an undefeated regular season, HC Bowden Wyatt’s Vols lost to Chattanooga. It was the beginning of the end for Coach Wyatt. He was shown the door after the 1962 season.

During Bill Battle’s first 3 years as HC, 1970–72, the Vols went 31-5. In 1975 UT managed to lose to North Texas State. Battle was gone after the ‘76 season.

Johnny Majors was a homegrown hero – Heisman runner-up in 1956, winner of several SEC championships during his tenure as HC of the Vols. But in 1992, he had heart surgery. UT began the season with an interim HC named Philip Fulmer. Coach Majors returned after 3 games. His Vols won the next 2 games but then, ranked #4 in the country, were upset by Arkansas and later South Carolina, neither of whom posted a winning record that year. At the end of the season it was adios, Johnny.

Fulmer in turn won a NC as UT’s HC and is second only to Gen. Neyland in career wins as HC. But the Vols began to fade in the early 2000s and lost to Wyoming in 2008. A month later Fulmer was out of a job.

Finally, in 2011 Kentucky, without even playing their QB, upset HC Derek Dooley’s Vols. Dooley lasted through 2012 but after Kentucky everyone knew he was a dead man walking.

Now Tennessee finds itself saddled with a $4M/yr HC, not very bright, easily out-coached by most opponents. He has shown zero ability to hire SEC-caliber assistants (Ainsley and last year, Helton); even worse, zero ability to motivate players. As we saw in his post-game press conference, he really doesn’t give a damn. I suppose he’s just killing time until he can cash that fat buyout check.

[As an aside, I do not believe Pruitt is an “Alabama plant.” However, I have no trouble believing that Nick Saban realized Pruitt would fail at UT because he lacked intelligence and experience. And that Saban is quite happy to see Alabama’s oldest and bitterest rival continue to flounder.]

The situation seems dire. In fact, I believe it is actually worse than all but the most pessimistic Vol fans realize. History tells us that Pruitt will soon be gone. The man who will hire the next UT coach is AD Philip Fulmer, who during his entire career has shown very poor judgment when it comes to hiring coaches.

I have always thought that much of HC Fulmer’s success during UT’s glory years of the 1990s was because he inherited from Johnny Majors two of the best assistant coaches in America – OC David Cutcliffe and DC John Chavis. When Coach Cut left, Fulmer’s hires (e.g., Randy Sanders and the infamous Dave Clawson) were inferior, exposing his weakness as a coach.

Fulmer can now add Pruitt’s name to his list of failed coaching hires. Will he pick a winner the second time around? Highly doubtful. So, as bad as UT football has been for over a decade, I believe the worst is yet to come. We have an incompetent HC and an AD who, despite being a good and decent man who bleeds UT Orange, cannot for the life of him hire a quality football coach.

As can be seen, I have been a fan of UT football for a long time – over 60 years, in fact. I’ve seen the highs and lows. Now, with a HC who doesn’t give a damn and a clueless AD, I see no light at the end of this tunnel. The worst is yet to come.

Don't disagree but want to add: Fulmer not only benefitted from inheriting Major's assistants he benefitted by having an edge in player talent. He was a good recruiter, not a good coach.

This could not have been said. I have been a Tn fan for over 50 years and agree that I don’t see this program returning to even respectability anytime in the near future. It is sad that a once proud program has basically hit rock bottom. I posted yesterday for someone to tell me what team Tn will beat this season based on Saturday’s pathetic performance. Some have said 8-4 and how they see that is beyond me. I still am a Vol fan and keep thinking one day things get better. About this season Fla, Ga, and Bama can name the score. It will not be pretty. It is going to be a long, long, long season again!!!!

Certainly, how the team and coaches respond to the loss to GA State will be revealing. Whatever any of we fans might think, it really is only Fulmer's opinion that matters. As a former coach, he is well aware that sometimes things just go really wrong and the "better" team gets beat. Remember Memphis in 1996 (I think it was?). So I suspect Fulmer is not getting hysterical about the loss to GS. Moreover, the financial realities of the UTAD mean that, even if he wanted to (and he doesn't), Fulmer cannot make a change now. Also, Fulmer will be loathe to pull the plug on his only signature hire. More likely Phil and Pruitt will be shown the door together.

Pruitt will be coaching here through at least the end of 2020 (barring scandal or NCAA infractions). More likely through 2021. JMHO.

I am sorry but your post pretty much lost credibility after the above bolded. Bringing in Chaney, Tee and Weinke says that is a false argument. The first year? Helton was what Pruitt could get in a hurry after everyone else's HC search was over and the absolute disgrace that ours was. He was lucky he could get anyone at all to come here in the first year of disaster. One thing Pruitt has shown is that he is willing to upgrade coaches. Now why those coaches arent producing on the field in the first game, is a good question but it isnt for lack of SEC experience.

Don't attempt to reach them Gandalf. They remind me of the type who jumped out windows to their death during the great depression. Many posting on here are just displaying the same negativeness that's pervading this entire country as a whole at this very moment. It's just one loss imo and I, for one, will remain positive because that's the best attitude for this situation. I'm certain these are good coaches and this is indeed a rebuild and 13 games is just a start. The best chance we got is to stick with CJP and there are numerous variables that need to be considered and changing coaches and calling for a firing is the worst thing that could happen at the moment.

Reactions: BanditVol
I am sorry but your post pretty much lost credibility after the above bolded. Bringing in Chaney, Tee and Weinke says that is a false argument. The first year? Helton was what Pruitt could get in a hurry after everyone else's HC search was over and the absolute disgrace that ours was. He was lucky he could get anyone at all to come here in the first year of disaster. One thing Pruitt has shown is that he is willing to upgrade coaches. Now why those coaches arent producing on the field in the first game, is a good question but it isnt for lack of SEC experience.

Was going to point out the same.

Reactions: Sudden Impact

You said a lot. Hard for me to agree with all of it but I appreciate the heartfelt perspective from a Volfan older than me.

Pruitt may or may not be able to salvage his job. But I agree after our Saturday horror show against Sunbelt State that he should be coaching for his job every single week. IMO he’d better get that message from our AD and coach with that perspective by making major changes starting with benching JG who shows NO positive heart or emotion and even less skills to get the ball downfield to our top playmakers.

I’d like to give Pruitt the benefit of the doubt that he took a gamble to wet nurse our most experienced QB bc he didn’t have an experienced backup alternative, and the gamble backfired big time. Guess we’ll know soon enough based on what happens from here. But overall I call coaching malpractice until I see Pruitt suit up and play the best matched players for each position who actually want to show up and play.

What sickens me most is the total lack of heart, accountability and leadership exhibited by either our starting QB or coaching staff during OR after that crapshow. We are Tennessee football right or wrong and should DEMAND accountability and fixes not more of the same.

It’s been an insiders game on the Hill for far too long and I agree that Fulmer only makes it worse bc he has preconceived prejudices that will make attracting a 5-star HC replacement more difficult, should it come to that.

What you say is a bitter pill. (maybe a little over the top) But I must agree. I like you have watch and lived and died (a football death) many times for more than 60 years with our vols. I am trying to swallow your "pill", but I think I need a bigger glass of water.

Reactions: albedo33
What you say is a bitter pill. (maybe a little over the top) But I must agree. I like you have watch and lived and died (a football death) many times for more than 60 years with our vols. I am trying to swallow your "pill", but I think I need a bigger glass of water.
We are rapidly approaching the point of irrelevance of the program and apathy of the fan base. If it is not corrected ASAP, this 15 year decline will have no bottom till Tennessee is like S.M.U. Trying to recover from the Death Penalty of our own making.

Don't attempt to reach them Gandalf. They remind me of the type who jumped out windows to their death during the great depression. Many posting on here are just displaying the same negativeness that's pervading this entire country as a whole at this very moment. It's just one loss imo and I, for one, will remain positive because that's the best attitude for this situation. I'm certain these are good coaches and this is indeed a rebuild and 13 games is just a start. The best chance we got is to stick with CJP and there are numerous variables that need to be considered and changing coaches and calling for a firing is the worst thing that could happen at the moment.

I am on a wait and see with Pruitt. He SHOULD have all the intangibles to take us back to respectability but Saturday was a bad look. Its just one game and they may have been screwing around but it was not just that they lost but HOW they lost that worries me. If we don't get Bryce and Bituli back soon, we are soft as a marshmellow. Same with JG and offensive game calling.

TLDR: Georgia State

Wyoming loss was after Phil's departure was announced. I'm not taking sides or disagreeing, just can't use the Wyoming game to support your theory.

Neither do I take sides. And by now, everyone knows I do not hold for him the blind esteem some here have held for him. But that Wyoming loss was caused by his firing, not a reason why he was fired. To site that game as a reason for his firing is making points while ignoring the timeline. It merely confirmed to many fans that it indeed was time for change.

I probably should have excluded that comment because yes, Chaney for one certainly knows the SEC. But frankly, I couldn't see much difference between his play-calling in the Ga. St. game and what we saw last year with Helton. The Tennessee O is, for lack of a better word, boring.

You don't go on the road and beat the first sec West opponent in like 8 years with a crap roster and not be a good motivator that's just plain rediculous. Yes Saturday was alarming and it's sure as hell pissed me off.

I don't know what to think. I really hope Pruitt somehow pulls it off here.

If he doesn't, we are looking at going on 20 years of being irrelevant. TWENTY YEARS.

You don't go on the road and beat the first sec West opponent in like 8 years with a crap roster and not be a good motivator that's just plain rediculous. Yes Saturday was alarming and it's sure as hell pissed me off.
Also,you don't let a 2-10 team come to Knoxville and beat an SEC team. Just as embarrassing is the fact that GA ST has only had a football program for 10 years.

And here comes another sunshine pumper, because we’ll win the next three...guaranteed!

I probably should have excluded that comment because yes, Chaney for one certainly knows the SEC. But frankly, I couldn't see much difference between his play-calling in the Ga. St. game and what we saw last year with Helton. The Tennessee O is, for lack of a better word, boring.

That is the frustrating thing. It is impossible to think that we did not significantly upgrade coaching staff on Offense at least and yet how did we not hang 50 on them? You cant say Chaney is new to this or that he doesnt know SEC. Cant blame O calls on Pruitt or Ansley. Hard to know what to think.

OK, I get it, the Worst is going to come, for a very long time.......I'm many years in

I am on a wait and see with Pruitt. He SHOULD have all the intangibles to take us back to respectability but Saturday was a bad look. Its just one game and they may have been screwing around but it was not just that they lost but HOW they lost that worries me. If we don't get Bryce and Bituli back soon, we are soft as a marshmallow. Same with JG and offensive game calling.
Tennessee is soft with or without those 2.

VN Store

Back