The WINE (alcohol) thread

Had a great Cab last night from Caymus in Napa. Their 40th Anniversary Collection. Very smooth

Any Port Wine connoisseurs here? I have never tried a port wine, however, after a bit of research, I've decided to give them a try.
I have a bottle of Sandeman
30 Years Old Tawny Porto
and 2 bottles of Taylor's
Late Bottled Vintage Port 2016 on their way.
Trying to buy two bottles of each. One to enjoy and one for storage. Only one bottle of the 30 year tawny was available, so it will go to storage.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
TIA

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Any Port Wine connoisseurs here? I have never tried a port wine, however, after a bit of research, I've decided to give them a try.
I have a bottle of Sandeman
30 Years Old Tawny Porto
and 2 bottles of Taylor's
Late Bottled Vintage Port 2016 on their way.
Trying to buy two bottles of each. One to enjoy and one for storage. Only one bottle of the 30 year tawny was available, so it will go to storage.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
TIA

Buying without ever having had a port, I like it.

I am a big fan of port and especially Tawny’s. I haven’t had the Sandeman 30 year Tawny, but I would guess it is great. Unless you are saving it for an occasion, cellaring isn’t really needed.

LBV ports can be really good and a great alternative to the much more expensive Vintage Ports. They also do not require the extensive aging that Vintage Ports do. Have had a number of Taylor Fladgate LBVs and they are solid. Great to get two and put one away.

If you like the Tawny, you may like Madeira. Raisiny, dried fruit, goes down easy.

I am a big fan of port and especially Tawny’s. I haven’t had the Sandeman 30 year Tawny, but I would guess it is great. Unless you are saving it for an occasion, cellaring isn’t really needed.

LBV ports can be really good and a great alternative to the much more expensive Vintage Ports. They also do not require the extensive aging that Vintage Ports do. Have had a number of Taylor Fladgate LBVs and they are solid. Great to get two and put one away.

If you like the Tawny, you may like Madeira. Raisiny, dried fruit, goes down easy.
I am glad you chimed in, NorCal! I may have a line on a second bottle of Sandeman's 30 yr. I REALLY want to try that one. Just started researching Madeira today. Still ignorant about it.

I can't wait to try the Taylor LBV. I think I will pair it with a chocolate brownie and raspberries. I hope it is as good as it sounds. :)

Reactions: NorCalVol67

Did a little research on the Madeira today. Now that is an interesting wine. One was almost $6k for a bottle. Born in 1802 and bottled in 1980. 👀

Our founding fathers drank Madeira because a barrel would not spoil crossing the pond since it is fortified.
It's been said that Thomas Jefferson had a glass of it while signing the Declaration of Independence.

Headed to the wine getting place today. Have you any recommendations on a Madeira?

It's been said that Thomas Jefferson had a glass of it while signing the Declaration of Independence.

Headed to the wine getting place today. Have you any recommendations on a Madeira?

Blandy's, Leacock's, Broadbent are good introductions. Rainwater style will be the least expensive, it is lighter and not as complex, but a good indication of whether or not you would like Madeira. Bual and Malmsey would be a step up. Then you get into aged and the price tag starts going up.

Barbeito is another good producer. The Rare Wine Co historic series is cool. Not sure if they distribute to TN though. They are an importer located in the first town I worked in the Bay Area.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Blandy's, Leacock's, Broadbent are good introductions. Rainwater style will be the least expensive, it is lighter and not as complex, but a good indication of whether or not you would like Madeira. Bual and Malmsey would be a step up. Then you get into aged and the price tag starts going up.

Barbeito is another good producer. The Rare Wine Co historic series is cool. Not sure if they distribute to TN though. They are an importer located in the first town I worked in the Bay Area.

Thanks for the Intel. I'll post pics later.

Reactions: NorCalVol67

Went with the Blandy's Bual, Sandeman's 30yr Tawny, and a Sandeman's 20yr Tawny. Also picked up a 4-pk small bottle sampler of Quinta das Carvalhas (10, 20, 30, and 40 yr Tawny).
IMG_20220623_155300_666.jpg IMG_20220623_155338_123.jpg

Can't say I've had a true port, but I have had some fortified dessert wines just a tad to the sweet side. Guess that makes them atleast port style. Liked them quite well. Actually, I have had Benjamin and thought it was pretty good. Mostly I've just had local winery port styles. I got into wines and like a wide variety. I also enjoy finding cheaper wines that can compete with any priced wine. As well as visiting local wineries. North Ga has 3 world class wineries. 19 Crimes Uprising (Aussie) is an excellent red under $12. Aged 30 days in Rum barrels.

One of my all time favorites if you've never tried any is Ice Wine. Bottled in 350ml. Very sweet natuarally. grapes are not picked until after a frost when the sugars are concentrated. I don't like super dry wines though. Expecially dry brutes. Yuk. Chenin Blanc is about as dry as I cn go and enjoy it. I'm more partial to reds, but enjoy whites just the same.

Wolfgang (not Puck) Gru-Vee one of the best whites I have ever sipped. Austrian I think. Hard to locate in the states. Frogtown MRV second best white.

If your on the fence, as I am since they are beat to death, with Cab Savs, Sebeka has a Cabernet Pinotage that IMO exceeds the Cab Sav.

Can't say I've had a true port, but I have had some fortified dessert wines just a tad to the sweet side. Guess that makes them atleast port style. Liked them quite well. Actually, I have had Benjamin and thought it was pretty good. Mostly I've just had local winery port styles. I got into wines and like a wide variety. I also enjoy finding cheaper wines that can compete with any priced wine. As well as visiting local wineries. North Ga has 3 world class wineries. 19 Crimes Uprising (Aussie) is an excellent red under $12. Aged 30 days in Rum barrels.

One of my all time favorites if you've never tried any is Ice Wine. Bottled in 350ml. Very sweet natuarally. grapes are not picked until after a frost when the sugars are concentrated. I don't like super dry wines though. Expecially dry brutes. Yuk. Chenin Blanc is about as dry as I cn go and enjoy it. I'm more partial to reds, but enjoy whites just the same.

Wolfgang (not Puck) Gru-Vee one of the best whites I have ever sipped. Austrian I think. Hard to locate in the states. Frogtown MRV second best white.

If your on the fence, as I am since they are beat to death, with Cab Savs, Sebeka has a Cabernet Pinotage that IMO exceeds the Cab Sav.
If memory serves me correctly, I believe I had ice wine while in Germany back in the 80's. Really liked the German wines, although, my taste were confined to the Moselle Valley. The one time I had Glühwein, I loved it!

My wife is knowledgeable of the different wines but me, well, I'm just getting started.
We plan on trying the sample Ports I purchased yesterday when we both get some free time.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Anyone ever tried Stone Cold Steve Austin’s triple Margarita? It’s easy to find the recipe online, and it’s an excellent drink. Only need one, and I’m good for a while.

My wife and I just tried the 10yr Tawny. Oh, my! The aroma - the taste - that was very good. HBPW, a long time lover of different wines, said it was impressive. For me, well, is was very, very good. It did not shock the taste buds, didn't make me cringe nor say WTF? LOL.

Tomorrow we try the 20yr.

Killed a bottle of pure strawberry wine from a local winery, Delmonico Winery. Hello tastebuds!! Had a bottle about 2 years ago from them and it was a blush color. This bottling was dark. Their pure peach wine is even better. They also do a Chardonelle instead of Chardoney. So much better. And they have a Jammin Blackberry, a balckberry port of sorts. Wow! As well as some standard whites and reds.

We tasted the 20yr a bit ago. Compared to the 10yr, the 20yr knocked it out the park! So smooth. Tomorrow night, we will taste the 30yr. I can't imagine it being that much better than the 20yr, however, I didn't think there would be that big of difference between the 20 and 10. I was pleasantly wrong.

This evening, it was the 30yr's turn. As mellow as the 20, although a touch sweeter. I could taste a bit of the oak on the back part of my tongue. It is very good.

1. 20yr
2. 30yr
3. 10yr

VN Store

Back