The wheel of time

The race thing doesnt bother me a ton, as most of it doesnt matter to the story. It's not like it's a world of only white people. The borderlanders are all asian. Tear would be African or Indian, Illain had olive skin and dark hair. The Sea People are dark skinned/black, many of the Seanchan are black. So the races are in the books. It's not like the writers have to invent other races for the books.

That wokeness seems misplaced more than wrong. Because sure at first they are just in "white areas", so they didnt want the vast majority of the first couple seasons reflecting that. But the flip side is that later when they are elsewhere their forced diversity is going to make places less culturally true/fitting.

The Aes Sedai also definitely had "pillow friends" which certainly implies something without saying it. Not sure about the particular characters they chose for it, but again it wasnt invented by the writers, just misplaced.

Those things didnt bother my "purity test" much as long as they didnt change the story in a negative.

Agreed in part. Most Two Rivers folks are described as having dark hair and Brown eyes. Lots of races could be used for them but....they live in a backwater that hasn't seen many outside bloodlines settle there in many generations and they definitely were not black in the books. Rand being very tall with Auburn hair and blue/grey eyes made him stand out.

Tairens can be fair skinned or dark skinned. Very much like most Mediterranean countries. In fact, Siuan was described in New Spring as being fairer skinned than Moiraine and having blue eyes. And yes, she and Moiraine are implied to be bisexual as are many novices/Accepted because they are kept away from men while teenagers becoming young women.

Some Tairens, Illianers and Altarans have skin "the color of good soil" as described in the books. Seanchan is a melting pot with the Imperial family definitely being black. The Sea Folk are black, Domani are copper skinned. Saldaens seem to be described as Asian except for their height and facial hair. Other Borderlanders have very Asian inspired cultures but aren't actually depicted as Asian and Lan damn sure isn't....just like Min growing up near Baerlon in Western Andor isn't Asian.

The race swapping and sexual preference swapping wouldn't bother me except that a lot of it contradicts the story and feels forced. GoT didn't do any of that and was a massive hit. Most people would rather have a great story than "yay, these show runners are so progressive".

Robert Jordan didn't focus on race and sexuality. He built an immersive world and great story with lots of strong characters and a gender based magic system. Amazon should have bought a different property if they wanted to focus on race, gender and sexuality....or castrating male characters.
I agree with a lot of what you said, though.

I'll be honest, I love this genre for book reading/listening but for some reason I cannot get Into this show. I'll watch an episode then it will be a couple weeks and I'll see it and be like, I'll try it again and then it's another couple weeks. Seriously, only watched like the first four or five episodes so far. I can't get into it and I don't "miss it" when the episode is over.

Reactions: OptimusPrimerib
I'll be honest, I love this genre for book reading/listening but for some reason I cannot get Into this show. I'll watch an episode then it will be a couple weeks and I'll see it and be like, I'll try it again and then it's another couple weeks. Seriously, only watched like the first four or five episodes so far. I can't get into it and I don't "miss it" when the episode is over.
Because they've butchered the source material :(:(

I think I lve seen 7 or 8 episodes. I can't watch a full one now, pretty boring.

Reactions: BigOrangeCrush32

VN Store

Back