The Wait...

And1

I know most on here do not want to see TENN in the NCAAs, but does the team keep practicing until they find out if they are in or not? How awkward. I feel for the players, they don't deserve to be in this situation...

I know most on here do not want to see TENN in the NCAAs, but does the team keep practicing until they find out if they are in or not? How awkward. I feel for the players, they don't deserve to be in this situation...

If we don’t get NCAA bid, we will get a WNIT bid. Many would want us to turn that bid down, I would think.

How did you get that idea? It's not true AT ALL.

I've only seen two or three posts that said that they hoped Tenn missed the tournament, and there are thousands of posts here and hundreds of posters.

I still believe Holly will wait to step down until after the post-season tournaments are over a week or two at the very least.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

I think they'll make the tournament and I want them to. I never want to see this historic program not get invited to the main tournament. It would be a horrible footnote, but either way I do believe this is Holly's last year...I hope.

I think they'll make the tournament and I want them to. I never want to see this historic program not get invited to the main tournament. It would be a horrible footnote, but either way I do believe this is Holly's last year...I hope.

In your face coach and calling you out i say replace her with Bridgette Gordon

I'm one of those who posted I'm not interested in seeing them make the tournament. Posted while frustrated watching them fall today for one reason only: careless ball handling. My blood pressure has stabilized. Permit me, if I may, to retract that statement.

Often, more can be learned from a loss than from a win. I'm convinced Warlick doesn't have the capacity to convey the lesson, but a bit of introspection among the players should. I'd like to see the team make the tournament. The freshman and sophomores need the experience. And I'd like C Green to have the opportunity to play a couple more games; I think she has earned it this year.

If we do not get NCAA bid... why wouldn't we..... i know the reason people say no.... that our program is above that..... but I do not see why we would not accept a bid from NIT

I'm one of those who posted I'm not interested in seeing them make the tournament. Posted while frustrated watching them fall today for one reason only: careless ball handling. My blood pressure has stabilized. Permit me, if I may, to retract that statement.

Often, more can be learned from a loss than from a win. I'm convinced Warlick doesn't have the capacity to convey the lesson, but a bit of introspection among the players should. I'd like to see the team make the tournament. The freshman and sophomores need the experience. And I'd like C Green to have the opportunity to play a couple more games; I think she has earned it this year.
Well if more is learned from a
Loss than a win, then we should have some very smart players by now after this season. But I still hope they make the dance, albeit it will be a short dance and then see CHW gone!!

If we don’t get NCAA bid, we will get a WNIT bid. Many would want us to turn that bid down, I would think.

Without thought or consideration
this is one new standard we have to fight
playing in the WNIT is admitting we are no longer secure in who we are
The University of Tennessee Lady Vols
The only team ever to play in every NCAA tourney should honor this

Team should not turn down any time they have to practice. They are not getting better but maybe the light will come on if they keep at it.

For the light to come on you need the coaches to turn it on, and that has not been happening the with the Lady Vols the last few years. This team is young, but supposedly very talented, and should be doing much better. If Fulmer does not fire Holly or she does not step down, then I certainly expect no raise or extension and he should set a goal for her meet in order to remain after next season. In my opinion, that goal should be at least a top 3 team in the SEC and making it to the Elite 8 in the NCAA in 2020.

Without thought or consideration
this is one new standard we have to fight
playing in the WNIT is admitting we are no longer secure in who we are
The University of Tennessee Lady Vols
The only team ever to play in every NCAA tourney should honor this

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this, Coach.

Now, I realize you posted your thoughts “without thought or consideration,” but still...

How exactly does not playing in a lesser national invitational tournament show more honor and respect for the program than playing in no tournament at all? Hard as I try, I just can’t the advantage in thinking we’re “too good for the WNIT.” Do we want to be the people who insult every other honored WNIT invitee by saying that their tournament is so embarrassing to us — HA! — that we will casually spit on the invitation?

To me, that shows incredibly poor sportsmanship, and my sincere hope is that if Tennessee is left out of the NCAA Tournament but given a WNIT invitation, that the Lady Vols will graciously accept it and then play their freaking BEST basketball of the season in it. BY GOD!!!!!!!!

Just sayin’.

Last edited:

There comes a point when pride can transpose into hubris, and degrade further into self-absorbed arrogance. Once, Tennessee's pride was in its accomplishments. Winning. Competing. Championships. But as those accomplishments fade into the past, so too fades the pride that came from those efforts. And turning down the WNIT because of that faded pride wouldn't be about self-esteem or honoring the past; it would be about shame, or more specifically, avoiding shame. The shame of being the first team to fail to make the NCAA tournament. The shame of believing the program to be something it isn't. And the shame of seeing something great decline into mediocrity. Those would be motivations leading Tennessee to turn down the WNIT invitation -- and it would be arrogant for the Lady Vols to do so.

Tennessee is not "better" than the WNIT. Turn it down? Never. That is the cheap behavior of a competitor with a weak sense of self-esteem.

It would be humbling for the once-proud Tennessee Lady Volunteers to participate in the WNIT, yes, but it would be honest. There is no shame in being honest about one's accomplishments. Honesty in the face of success and failure can and will build character. And being honest with itself is what Tennessee most needs to be now, if it is ever to be great again.

There comes a point when pride can transpose into hubris, and degrade further into self-absorbed arrogance. Once, Tennessee's pride was in its accomplishments. Winning. Competing. Championships. But as those accomplishments fade into the past, so too fades the pride that came from those efforts. And turning down the WNIT because of that faded pride wouldn't be about self-esteem or honoring the past; it would be about shame, or more specifically, avoiding shame. The shame of being the first team to fail to make the NCAA tournament. The shame of believing the program to be something it isn't. And the shame of seeing something great decline into mediocrity. Those would be motivations leading Tennessee to turn down the WNIT invitation -- and it would be arrogant for the Lady Vols to do so.

Tennessee is not "better" than the WNIT. Turn it down? Never. That is the cheap behavior of a competitor with a weak sense of self-esteem.

It would be humbling for the once-proud Tennessee Lady Volunteers to participate in the WNIT, yes, but it would be honest. There is no shame in being honest about one's accomplishments. Honesty in the face of success and failure can and will build character. And being honest with itself is what Tennessee most needs to be now, if it is ever to be great again.

EXACTLY!

I’d actually be more upset, on a deeper level, if Tennessee arrogantly snubbed a WNIT bid than I would be if they didn’t receive an NCAA Tourney invitation at all.

Pat Summitt was, above all, gracious in defeat, and in the relatively few times she suffered humiliating outcomes, she always managed to maintain the program’s dignity. I have a feeling she would NOT want Holly to “put on airs” at this point.

We’ll have the humility to graciously take our lumps this year. But next year, watch out. The Tennessee Lady Vols, with an inspired, driven, exciting new coach in their corner, will come out swinging in the New Era. I can’t wait!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back