The Volunteer Classic is cancelled

While I don't think the NCAA can afford for there not to be a season at all, I do think postponement of the season is very much in play. With rising covid-19 cases numbers across the country along with the the stringent contact tracing protocols that are being enforced, playing a conference only schedule starting in February could create for a season that isn't marred by cancellations.
As desperate as I am for bball, they should start the season in January.

i don't see a point in a delay. cases will ramp up until next may like they did last year. if you're going to postpone it, just cancel it. sure, it'd bring the NCAA to its knees but if we don't care about that happening to every business besides amazon then i don't see why we would care about it happening to the NCAA or academic institutions associated.

Reactions: Ttucke11
What’s that fix? Not being smart at all, but I don’t see how delaying another month and half solves anything.
It potentially gets us closer to bringing the vaccine into play which could put an end to this mess.

If I were running the NCAA, I would see if it would be possible logistically/politically to get players vaccinated the day of FDA approval (note: full, not emergency use). The number of vaccine doses you would need to vaccinate every college basketball player is around 10,000. That's really a pretty small number in the context of society at large and those vaccinations would have a significant positive impact economically and socially. The NCAA could also sweeten the deal by paying a few million extra to help subsize the rollout of the vaccine more broadly.

If I could swing that deal, I would then delay the season to Mid January and then try and play a full season from there. But, yeah, I'm not in charge of the NCAA, and I don't consult with public health officials, so I don't know if that is feasible or not. Still, a delay might not be a bad idea just to buy time to see if this or something similar is workable. But that delay should be accompanied by an extension of the season. We shouldn't treat playing the tournament in March/April as some holy cow especially given it was outright cancelled last year.

I will say, I am 1000 percent confident the season won't get cancelled. It might get delayed, but there's too much money and we're too close to the end of the most disruptive phase of the pandemic. Also, sort of related, I think the logic behind cutting the number of games from 31 to 27 was super dumb i.e. we're worried some games might get cancelled, so let's go ahead and cancel 4 games. Just silly.

Where's the vaccine because I'm ready to take it and get back to normal? The POTUS was always right about the timing of the vaccine.

Reactions: Jbob1871
It potentially gets us closer to bringing the vaccine into play which could put an end to this mess.

If I were running the NCAA, I would see if it would be possible logistically/politically to get players vaccinated the day of FDA approval (note: full, not emergency use). The number of vaccine doses you would need to vaccinate every college basketball player is around 10,000. That's really a pretty small number in the context of society at large and those vaccinations would have a significant positive impact economically and socially. The NCAA could also sweeten the deal by paying a few million extra to help subsize the rollout of the vaccine more broadly.

If I could swing that deal, I would then delay the season to Mid January and then try and play a full season from there. But, yeah, I'm not in charge of the NCAA, and I don't consult with public health officials, so I don't know if that is feasible or not. Still, a delay might not be a bad idea just to buy time to see if this or something similar is workable. But that delay should be accompanied by an extension of the season. We shouldn't treat playing the tournament in March/April as some holy cow especially given it was outright cancelled last year.

I will say, I am 1000 percent confident the season won't get cancelled. It might get delayed, but there's too much money and we're too close to the end of the most disruptive phase of the pandemic. Also, sort of related, I think the logic behind cutting the number of games from 31 to 27 was super dumb i.e. we're worried some games might get cancelled, so let's go ahead and cancel 4 games. Just silly.
1000%? Seriously?

Omg cases surging everywhere and now we have holidays where families are gonna kill each other!! Mass hysteria and fear mongering must persist. Meanwhile, of all the athletes and coaches that have tested positive over the last 6 months, none have been hospitalized. In fact, very few had any symptoms. Eventually, we have to realize that it's a GOOD thing that everyone has this virus bc that's how our bodies learn to fight it. Old/fat/sick ppl need to be taking extra precautions... otherwise, it's time for the rest of us to get back to living.

Where's the vaccine because I'm ready to take it and get back to normal? The POTUS was always right about the timing of the vaccine.
Even if you take the vaccine, your still going to have to wear a mask and practice social distance until at least May. The old normal is a long way from us.

VN Store

Back