The Vols will be better than expected if (-----).

Nope.. hope is what keeps us going.

I'm like you..yes we lost some "stars" from last year but I like this team better. I like the idea of QD as our QB for the simple fact I believe he can stretch the field with the vertical passing game which Dobbs seemed to struggled with at times. If he can read defenses better than Dobbs (which I think was a weakness of his) then the QB position could be even better than last year.

I feel JK is an upgrade over Hurd and if Chandler or another rb becomes a solid #2 then production should be fine.

I like the changes made to the staff.I think adding Warren and Hoke will allow the defense to finally gel and be solid.

The only question left is CBJ and his game day coaching. Hopefully he is one that learns from his mistakes.

Edit - If you don't have hope then all you have is despair, hopelessness, apathy. Hope is a great thing. It brings happiness with it when the possibilities of the upcoming season are talked about. Some just dwell on the negative. What could go wrong or has in the past. The past is not always a predictor of the future. It is just a measuring stick of what HAS happened. You can use it to guess what may happen but it's not reliable. The next 2 years will show if CBJ belongs or not. Saban didn't set the world on fire at Michigan St.. not that I'm comparing him to Saban, but every coach has a learning curve... Some are steeper than others, some could be called flat. Lol. I HOPE hr figures it out because he does a lot of other things really well.

I once tried to downplay the negative and play up the positive... and squelch "negative" voices. I thought what we said did damage and the like. Then... Fulmer's fall... then Kiffin... then Dooley.

Now. A coach has to show me. I rub some folks wrong because I pick at the weaknesses and sometimes let others proclaim the positives.

But in the end... I still hope.

PS- The hope quote at the end comes from the Shawshank Redemption. Can't remember the exact words but Red told Andy that hope while in prison was a dangerous thing that could drive a man insane.

I'm not optimistic or pessimistic. I am realistic and hopeful.

I HOPE for the best but am realistic about some of the things that place limits on expectations.

One, Jones still hasn't proven he belongs in the SEC. You can make excuses and dodge this way or that... but the bottom line is that Jones has lost too many games that should have or reasonably could have been won. He really only has a couple of upset wins to his credit and those weren't earthshattering.

Two, I personally feel really good about the QB position and even the development there in spite of not previously having had a QB coach. I'm probably in the minority that doesn't think that was necessarily a mistake by Jones. If you are going to replace a 3 year starter... you can't do much better than a 4th year Jr... or a RS Fr who beat him out.

Three, I like Kelly. I like Kelly better as a RB in this system than I ever liked Kamara or Hurd. AK's value was more as a receiver IMO. Kelly finds the creases and pressures the 2nd level. UT needs another option to protect Kelly's health. But I hope for great things out of him.

Four, the OL. There's talent. You have to presume the guys have learned something and physically developed in some way since joining the team. I think I count at least 7 guys coming back with starting or significant playing experience. There are 7 guys with at least 3 years in the program. But somehow this group has consistently underperformed and especially when competition levels go up. I HOPE they pull it together under Wells but this is a significant concern based on what they've shown. It is particularly a concern because it could be Jones' system and not something the players should be and aren't doing.

Five, WR/TE- I like them. There's not a ton of returning production but I for one am very happy to see Azzani gone. If he was the one behind no 7 on 7 then all the better. I really think he did a poor job of developing UT's talent at WR. I have great hope this group will emerge with the new QB.

Six, DL- What's not to love about DT if they can stay healthy? I love the approach Hoke has brought and his desire to have his guys hyper aggressive. There ARE concerns at DE. For whatever reason, UT really hasn't gotten much out of anyone but the 3 guys who were lost over the past couple of years. Hopefully someone will emerge out of what appears to be a very talented group.

Seven, LB- This is a huge problem. You only have two guys on the roster who have ever played like they belong in the SEC... and both of them have missed time due to injury. I don't know if it is a talent issue, coaching issue, system issue, or something else. But UT needs to go two deep or more at all 3 positions... as of the end of last season they weren't close.

8, Secondary- Love the safeties. You have 3 or 4 potential studs at safety.... guys who definitely belong in the SEC and who could play for anyone in the country. I think there's talent at CB and N. My HOPE is that the 7 on 7's will allow them to develop their cover skills and communication more than ever before.

9, Defensive staff- I have thought Shoop was a great hire from the start and still do. Give Jones max credit with a lame duck AD for going out and getting the hottest DC name in the country. Shoop didn't recruit the players he was left with and didn't have anything like what he needed at LB to run his system. The roster to a significant degree was recruited and developed to run Jancek's system. A year will hopefully help. I think there were chemistry problems between Shoop and Jancek's holdovers... and maybe worse. To me the two changes were definite upgrades and especially in terms of buying into the way Shoop does things. I am hopeful that UT will not only improve over all but improve over their high water mark last year. UT was at a respectable 21 ppg at the end of September and had played good competition. I am hopeful that the injury causes have been addressed and they will be better than that for the season this year.

10, Offensive staff- apprehension. There are some quality coaches but Wells and Scott in particular are take a pretty major step up in responsibility and/or competition. I like Canales and LOVE Beard. IMO, this staff was assembled to run Jones' system, Jones' way. That imo will be his rise or fall.

11- HC-apprehension. You have to give Jones credit for how far he's brought the program. At the same time, he has revealed some potentially fatal flaws in his first 4 years. Hopefully he can get better. Hopefully he's now surrounded himself with a complimentary staff that is strong where he's weak. HOPEFULLY, he turns the corner this year and proves he can lead a team to perform above "reasonable" expectations... 9 or 10 regular season wins. Hopefully he won't win 8 again and reinforce his mediocrity... or worse.

So is "hope a dangerous thing"?

spot on. great post.:thumbsup:

We can win in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I think Kelley is poised for a break out season, if Tuttle can somehow stay healthy with our other guys we have the potential to be very good. Kirkland has to be healthy though.

How good do we really "expect" our defense to be??

If healthy, I'm expecting a top 40 type defense. Probably not great at anything, but not really bad at anything either. Good enough to slow down just about anyone enough to give us a shot in most games, but not so great that we'll win too many games on dominant defense alone.

How good do we really "expect" our defense to be??

As Darth said, health is a major issue. There are a lot more questions than answers on D right now.

If healthy, UT has a solid group of DT's. UT has what looks like significant talent at DE... but no proven performers. UT's staff came out during spring practice and said they liked their talent and depth at LB.... but only two of those guys has ever played like he belonged on an SEC D.

Safety is a position of strength unless hammered with injuries. Gaulden and Abernathy can play S. TKjr, Berry, and Warrior make up a core that's a talented as anyone.

CB was noticeably worse last year without Sutton. It would be a fool's folly to try to pick the 2deep right now. VERY scary.

Boy, I hope Kelly evolves into a top notch back like we had in the good old days! It would be great to see that!

A running back is only as good as his OL. Strong OL play will help this team more than anything.

the coaching improves. that has held them back for at least the last two years. If it doesn't improve they will still lose games they should not and that will keep them from matching expectations. The talent has not been an issue, even with all of last seasons injuries they lost games they should have won.

I truly believe if coaching doesn't improve drastically butch will not make it after this year. Coaching has been very poor and butch waited way to long for staff changes 2 years worth too late

Vols will be better than expected if ____.

The fill in the blank for me is simple. Vols will be better than expected if we get great QB play.

VN Store

Back