The Vols getting some preseason ranking love

They are much less potent without their great offensive coordinator from last season. They are going pro set. Narduzzi has put his foot down to stop the high octane offense. It will be this teams difference maker. They are not ACC champs without that offense.
That will slow their roll quite a bit.

By what measure? They lost over 80% of their offensive production (the only thing that really hurt us) and Kedon Slovis (if he ends up being their QB) was mediocre at best with loaded WR talent.

They return a ton on the O-Line and Defense line. Quick Snippet from a college football preview that I respect. They have Pitt power rated at 16.

1659911229802.png

Reactions: 08Vol
They return a ton on the O-Line and Defense line. Quick Snippet from a college football preview that I respect. They have Pitt power rated at 16.

View attachment 478491
Sure, but neither their OL nor their defense are what killed us last year. They lost every single real weapon on their offense. I imagine WVU, who will probably suck, will slow them down well. They're going to be a decent team but in no way will they be "better".

Sure, but neither their OL nor their defense are what killed us last year. They lost every single real weapon on their offense. I imagine WVU, who will probably suck, will slow them down well. They're going to be a decent team but in no way will they be "better".

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Their OL was a big reason Pickett had all day to throw. I do understand your viewpoint though. FWIW, that same preview has Tennessee Power Rated 11th. Now keep in mind that is different than rankings.

Attachments

• 1659911646938.png
    1659911646938.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 97
I simply do NOT understand where Pitt is getting all this love from. Last year they were admittedly good. They had the QB and the best receiver in the nation arguably. Their shelves aren't bear but they aren't exactly loaded either. They slipped by us last year and we weren't even peaking for the season. This year they are nowhere near as talented as us. They should not be ranked above us. I'm not saying we should be higher, but they should be lower than us.

The only thing that matters on Sept 10th on Heinz Field, is who'll be the better team that day. Pitt will be a very solid team, playing in their house, with tons of confidence having beaten UT in Neyland last season. The last thing folks need to do is not take Pitt seriously.

But, if we expect UT to be better (hopefully much better) and better at competing in the SEC, then the Vols need to win this game. Preferably, win the game somewhat convincingly. This would really help the Vols moving forward.

Last edited:
I'm actually glad we are catching them early. With a new QB, OC, and system, they will probably take a few games to settle in.

Vols need a big improvement on defensive side of the ball. Last years Pitt and Purdue games were particularly incredibly frustrating. Defense just simply could not get off the field.

Reactions: vettefool and 08Vol
This consolidates 5 different preseason rankings into an average and shows the min, max, and variance.

Average Preseason Rankings

Here's the distribution. Tennessee is ranked by all pubs.

Ranking Distribution

Does not include UF, results invalid.

sus.gif

Pitt is a classic toss-up game just like last year. I can see it going either way. I do think Pickett was a HUGE part in beating Tennessee last year so we will have to see how they play without him.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back